Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If the UK leaves the EU what would happen? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tamora)
    Why would there be a punishment? Neither side can have any interest in disrupting trade. If there are millions of jobs in the UK which depend on trade with Europe, there must be even more millions of jobs in other EU member states that depend on trade with the UK ... such is the trade surplus the EU has with the UK.

Any 'punishment' the EU metes out will just make it look ridiculously petty. Just how popular do you think the EU wants to be with European citizens?
    How would that look petty? Allowing their members to leave whenever their citizens throw a tantrum would cause the EU to fall apart. They'd be uncooperative at least to preserve the EU. That wouldn't be petty, it'd be perfectly reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alternate Aurora)
    Immigration will stop. UK is full. In the past 20-30 years British native people became minority in many places and schools.
    How stupid are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Speculation. But even if we could negotiate a trade deal, every country that's ever done it had to follow EU regulation and allow free movement. We just shouldn't get a say in anything.
    Speculation? Ok I speculate the sun will come up tomorrow and then about 15 hours later it will go away again.

Talking about anything that isn't in the past tense isn't certain but it's sure as hell likely

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How would that look petty? Allowing their members to leave whenever their citizens throw a tantrum would cause the EU to fall apart. They'd be uncooperative at least to preserve the EU. That wouldn't be petty, it'd be perfectly reasonable.
    It would look really petty. If the EU has to use such methods to prevent itself from falling apart, it ain't worth much.

ReputationRep:
    Speculation. But even if we could negotiate a trade deal, every country that's ever done it had to follow EU regulation and allow free movement. We just shouldn't get a say in anything.
    All countries follow the rules of the market in which they sell, and lots of countries have free trade deals with the EU without allowing free movement.

ReputationRep:
    Who has said there'll be a 'punishment'? If no one has, aren't you getting ahead of yourself? If many other countries follow suit it doesn't say much for the remain case. And if you're not a remain voter, are you a leave voter?
    This sounds very familiarly like the average Scots Nationalist trying to waive away warnings that Westminster would not bend over and give iScotland everything it wanted post-referendum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    This sounds very familiarly like the average Scots Nationalist trying to waive away warnings that Westminster would not bend over and give iScotland everything it wanted post-referendum.*
    And those who said otherwise were unpatriotic, Westminster goons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    This sounds very familiarly like the average Scots Nationalist trying to waive away warnings that Westminster would not bend over and give iScotland everything it wanted post-referendum.
    I couldn't care less what you think it sounds like. The fact remains .... neither side can have any interest in disrupting trade. Too many jobs depend on it. Just how ridiculous do you think the EU wants to be?

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't care less what you think it sounds like. The fact remains .... neither side can have any interest in disrupting trade.

Too many jobs depend on it. Just how ridiculous do you think the EU wants to be?
    Politics and economics are not rational sciences that can be predicted as history proves time and time again.

And if you think that the EU represented a rational actor then why on earth do you think we should leave?

ReputationRep:
    Dragons will burn down our cities, volcanoes will erupt in London, the bubonic plague will return to the UK and we'll all be wiped out within the year. Or at least, that's what the leftists want you to believe.

In reality we'll have more control over our justice system and the ridiculously high immigration rates. We won't have to donate as much (if any) of our hard earned money to the EU fatcats either, but will still maintain good trade deals with the EU. We'll preserve our sovereignty and our right to govern our own country without EU interference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Politics and economics are not rational sciences that can be predicted as history proves time and time again.

And if you think that the EU represented a rational actor then why on earth do you think we should leave?
    I think European manufacturers, on whose goodwill the EU depends, are perfectly rational enough to expect a mutually agreeable free trade deal to be signed. I also think Europeans whose jobs depend on trade will expect one too.

ReputationRep:
    All i know is that the exchange rate will tank and i will get considerable poorer 1 month into my 4 month trip this summer.

ReputationRep:
    I think we'd become closer with commonwealth countries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Which have said we should stay in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayaz789)
    Would the currency not change?
    Yes. The UK would go back to pounds, shillings, and pence. Sixpences, Crowns, Half Crowns, Farthings etc. You'd have to completely learn to count again once decimisation is scrapped. They'd be a return to the gold standard and public hanging in the town square and **** fighting would be back.

ReputationRep:
    I think European manufacturers, on whose goodwill the EU depends, are perfectly rational enough to expect a mutually agreeable free trade deal to be signed. I also think Europeans whose jobs depend on trade will expect one too.
    Doesn't look like it

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6908676.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Why would you want to? With the obvious exception of Australia, NZ, and Canada, most of them are complete basket cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alternate Aurora)
    Immigration will stop. UK is full. In the past 20-30 years British native people became minority in many places and schools.
    go away troll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Yes. The UK would go back to pounds, shillings, and pence. Sixpences, Crowns, Half Crowns, Farthings etc. You'd have to completely learn to count again once decimisation is scrapped. They'd be a return to the gold standard and public hanging in the town square and **** fighting would be back.

Exxxxxcelllent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Why would you want to? With the obvious exception of Australia, NZ, and Canada, most of them are complete basket cases.
    Funny how they are all white majority countries.

That with that confederate flag as your profile, i can only deduce one thing.

This is the UK, we're not as backwards and as racist as you Americans are.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.