Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When people talk about gender equality, they also forget that male minds and female minds work differently from each other. Of course some women may be able to fulfill some aspects of being a "father figure", but the average woman won't be able to provide what the average man can in this respect

ReputationRep:
    Most of the time no. I think this of the opposite as well - men trying to fill the mothers role.

ReputationRep:
    Well I suppose women can fill and do traditional man roles quite well and vice versa. Though regardless if a woman is doing traditional man roles, I would still consider her a mother figure rather than a father figure.

ReputationRep:
    According to Vygotksy's theory of cognitive development the 'more knowledgeable other' involved in the mental development of a child can be a father/mother/carer/bother/sister or even friend; it can be anyone provided there is some sort of affectionate, caring relation or bond created at a very young age. So yes I think a women can be a father figure! There are really no limits to what a father figure can be - they will provide the child with so many different characteristics its hard to define these to a structured list per say - a women can provide these characteristics to the same extend a man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    Being a father figure, a woman cannot guide a boy in how to become a man.
    And if the child is a girl?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Damn right she can! F*qumean?!

ReputationRep:
    No. A father has to be male.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    It entails learning how to drink beer, how to make moonshine, how change a transmission in a Chevy, how to score a women, how to strip down an assault rifle, how to hunt, trap, and fish, how to make jerkin from roadkill, how to lay a brick, how to repair a lawnmower, and how to use a knife in a fight. These are things that women can't teach because the are (or should be) too busy in the kitchen fixing dinner.
    If I had a dad like that, I think I'd have been a happy kid. Most men in this country have forgotten what it means to be masculine.

ReputationRep:
    A woman cannot fulfil the same role of a man.
    My mum, was, kind of. She disciplined me and taught me the stuff that normally a father would teach their kid like how to do decorating, fix broken appliances, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMilkSheikh)
    If I had a dad like that, I think I'd have been a happy kid. Most men in this country have forgotten what it means to be masculine.
    That's because they are too busy changing diapers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsty2201)
    According to Vygotksy's theory of cognitive development the 'more knowledgeable other' involved in the mental development of a child can be a father/mother/carer/bother/sister or even friend; it can be anyone provided there is some sort of affectionate, caring relation or bond created at a very young age. So yes I think a women can be a father figure! There are really no limits to what a father figure can be - they will provide the child with so many different characteristics its hard to define these to a structured list per say - a women can provide these characteristics to the same extend a man.
    Another Soviet Jew.

ReputationRep:
    NoT really.
    A woman can teach good values though and raise a child in a good up bring. There are just some things females do not experience for them to be the "father" figure.
    Just like a man cannot fulfill the mother figure role properly..

Women do not grow up learning how to be men just like men do not grow learning to be women. So no, I get women are equals and all but let's not pretend women can understand what guys go through.

Women and men are equal regarding opportunities. Remember woman =/= man. I think a woman can raise a boy to be gentlemen like. I read stories of men who were raised by women and acted feminine like and sometimes people assumed they were gay since they had female mannerisms. Just like how a father can not understand what little girls go through. Just saying. Women and men think differently and act differently. You cannot expect a woman to have an inkling of what boys go through during puberty and speak from experience.

ReputationRep:
    Children need male father figures. It's not even a question. Ideally fathers, but if they are unavailable or just suck (sadly becoming common among an underclass) and the state takes over parenting, then I guess father figures will have to do. Should also offer more Parkour / Martial Arts - like activities in schools. Have any educational theorists thought about how to develop masculinity?

ReputationRep:
    I believe that children need mother and father figures but I don't believe that they must come from the child's parents.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A woman cannot fulfil the same role of a man.
    What can a man do, with their child, that a woman would not be able to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    What can a man do, with their child, that a woman would not be able to do?

Have a normal father and son relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Judging by my mum's mustache...i'd say yes they can.

ReputationRep:
    Have a normal father and son relationship.
    And what is that exactly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    And what is that exactly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Teaching your son in how to play sports, fix things, talk about girls, getting him interested into male orientated hobbies like football for example.

Teaching him about grooming,presentation and responsibility the list goes on.

The things my father has taught me, I can teach my son.

ReputationRep:
    Teaching your son in how to play sports, fix things, talk about girls, getting him interested into male orientated hobbies like football for example.

Teaching him about grooming,presentation and responsibility the list goes on.

The things my father has taught me, I can teach my son.
    Those sound like the kind of things a mother could do. None of those can exclusively be gained from a father sone bond.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.