Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you cheat on your uni exams to get a 1st, if you knew you wouldn't get caught? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you cheat on your uni exams if you couldn't get caught?
    Yes
    54.76%
    No
    45.24%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    Fair enough. I think that you would do better to have a bit more self respect for your own ability.

There is no reason why you cannot attain those grades authentically through your own hard work.

You will, more than likely feel more fulfillment through achieving anything in life with your own effort, rather than cheating to reach those means.
    I agree with the latter paragraph. In bold is an interesting point, perhaps you'd like to check out my recent thread?

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably shoo it away since I can't take it when people whisper in my ear, and besides it's not like it's highschool where students cheat to get the grades to please their parents, university is bigger than that (literally)

it would be a make a huge dent in my ego to know that the only reason I got a first was because some weird magical spirit told me the answers rather than me knowing it myself. I can take failing miserably but for something as big as university I'm really going to test myself.

Of course if it were for the mocks I'm taking tomorrow I would get over my dislike for people whispering in my ear and listen to what the thing has to say hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFarmerLad)
    I agree with the latter paragraph. In bold is an interesting point, perhaps you'd like to check out my recent thread?
    I have looked. I think that question is for others to answer.

The genes over hard work debate is long standing and from what I understand well covered.

Regardless of genetic potential, all people who strive to achieve through their own hard work, are more likely to acquire some form of fulfillment over those who achieve through artificial means.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I'd still do the hard graft to understand everything though.

ReputationRep:
    Few years ago I probably would have been tempted. But finishing university, and getting a first, I don't think I would have felt the same, the day I got that result, after having gone through school, thinking I was stupid, bottom sets for every subject, just passing exams, but then getting a first for degree, it was the happiest day of my life, and knowing I achieved it, on my own, and that I had it in me. It just wouldn't feel the same getting that result, knowing I had to cheat to do it.

Plus the guilt would forever play on my mind.

ReputationRep:
    Who in their right mind would vote no!?

ReputationRep:
    A million times yes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamzahPatel)
    Who in their right mind would vote no!?
    Cheating in a uni exam! Sounds a bit immoral to me, you seem like a guy who oes the right thing, although i dont know you im just guessing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Let's say you find a magic genie who whispers you the answers and there's no way for anyone to find out.

Would you give in to the temptation?
    I do AWFULLY under pressure and without sufficient time to finish tasks, so definitely yes!

ReputationRep:
    52% not surprised. 45,000 thousand caught cheating over three years according to Independent. Wonder how many with high grades really earned them.

ReputationRep:
    No, purely because I didn't need to cheat to get a 1st

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    anyone who said no is a lying little cnt

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who wouldn't is a masochistic simpleton. People need to realise that real life is very different to academia and that success at one doesn't guarantee success at the other.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Of course, guilt is for losers.

ReputationRep:
    You're ability to do whatever job you find yourself in after graduating is far less dependent on your exam results than the likelihood of you getting your foot in the door at said job. So yes definitely, i'd do everything possible to improve my chances. I believe exams are a poor indicator of a person's capability in a particular subject anyway, so i'd feel very little remorse.

ReputationRep:
    Why not just get the genie to help you learn everything without studying? It's magic, after all...
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by jneill)
    What does Puddles the Monkey think?
    I couldn't do it :eek3: I enjoy the graft and also I would feel too guilty :lol:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Let's say you find a magic genie who whispers you the answers and there's no way for anyone to find out.

Would you give in to the temptation?
    No, it is cheating for myself. Cheating is a confession for my own that I am not an expert in my subject. That is just pathetic. Even if I would passed, it would be like a failure nevertheless.

ReputationRep:
    im cheating all the time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.