Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is it with muslim people and wanting to study medicine? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I think a lot of immigrants want their kids to do medicine so they get to the top of the social status pole in one leap. It shows a fundamental lack of knowledge of Western society because there are many alternatives to medicine but most immigrants don't know them or want to know them.

Its a shame that so many kids get pushed into such a narrow range of jobs and never look at all the things out there they could do.
    It is a shame. But you can't blame the immigrant parents really tbh. Medicine, accountancy/finance and engineering are like Gold, everyone understands it, appreciates it and is universally accepted throughout the world. Only natural those parents whom might not be educated themselves would advocate a highly sought after trade for their children.

ReputationRep:
    And also it's a very honourable thing to do, dedicating your life to saving and helping others, which is promoted in Islam (treating others well, visiting the sick, donating etc) basically to bring good to the world and to make positive changes

I pooped on my parents dreams the moment I said I do not wish to pursue medicine as a degree

ReputationRep:
    You mean Asian parents Typically prefer that field of work. Let's not confuse religion and culture, because then I'm guessing the other 2 people were Christian etc?

It's CULTURALLY favoured by Asian parents, however It is not favoured by all Asians. Most are proud whatever career their child wishes to persue. As for the person above who said Islam promotes helping people... You can do that with any field of work e.g teaching, cleaning, therapist, receptionist.

I'm Muslim and I'm not in medicine 😊

ReputationRep:
    Because asians (not Muslims necessarily - there are many Hindu and Christian asians who also want to do medicine) excel in the sciences and are also encouraged by their parents to go into high paying careers with a lot of prestige - and naturally science = medicine. Also, in a lot of cases, one or both of the parents is also a doctor and a lot of children tend to follow in their parent's career paths.

I'm muslim and I wanna do medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's a small sample size but I don't think it's a muslim thing it's more of an asian thing. I'm muslim but asian as well and both parents are doctors and both siblings are doing medicine so yeah I agree because almost everyone else I know in my life that is asian want to do medicine and I guess it's because it's a really secure occupation because the chances of you getting a job is very certain. Well that's why my mum wants me to do it as well because she's just looking out for me
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I want to do economics

ReputationRep:
    I'm certain that it's most probably to do with the fact they are Asians, and not Muslim. It just so happens that a good number of Asians are Muslims as well. I'm Asian, Muslim and going to study Medicine in September. Although the decision was mine itself my parents did secretly hint at it as if there weren't any other courses around lol I don't think religion really played a role in my desire to study it. But there are many Asian Muslims out there who don't study Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    it's a doctor or nothing in some asian families

thankfully mine didn't put any emphasis on a job role, just said do good in school
    What are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonbabes)
    What are you doing?
    Primary teaching

ReputationRep:
    It's probably more Asian than Muslim. Of the 10 people who applied for medicine in my year, 9 were Asian and 1 was Irish with 3 Asians being Muslim. A lots of English people originally wanted to do medicine but a lot of them didn't get the AS grades to apply unfortunately. Personally I wasn't pressured to do medicine, my parents didn't want me to do medicine because it's too hard of a career in their eyes with long hours ect.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.