Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My parents are constantly arguing, they are forgetting about me and I can't cope. Watch

I went through the same thing. My parents however were both cheating on each other, getting drunk etc. and I had to live through that throughout my childhood hence why I struggled doing my GCSEs. From experience, my only advice to you would be don't let it get to you and certainly don't let it have an impact on your education/studies.

ReputationRep:
    Your parents sound incredibly unhappy, and that's unlikely to change unless they both actively decide to improve their relationship. If that doesn't materialise, all that remains within your control, is to build your own future and security.

At your age, you could see a GP to discuss your situation without a parent present.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    OP it sounds rubbish and its always sad to hear how rubbish some parents are.

You should really speak to someone, maybe start with childline 08001111 so you can have someone listen to you and your problems. I would also suggest going to visit your GP it is confidential and your parents dont need to know. At least they are strangers and you dont have to get involved.

Personal protection, then you need to stop beating yourself up about your parents, for your present needs they arent going to change and sound astonishingly unsympathetic and cold. Not all people are like that. You arent going to change them so your best bet is to try and minimise letting them affect you.

Consider doing some voluntary work or take up a hobby that lets you get outside and meet new people. You might find that normalising, beneficial and fun.If its regular hen it might give you enough relief to make them a bit more bearable.

Start focusing on yourself and ways to keep yourself intac because no help is coming from your parents. It requires focus and for you to be your own parent. You need to focus on your exams and reminds yourself hat in under 3 years you could be out of there, at uni and making a life of your own. This is what you need to work for.

If you can stay the course and make your own life, then you can see how dysfunctional your parents are and remind yourself not to do that to any kids you have. Hnag in there you can get through it and be a stronger person for it. If you geuinely cant survive, hen you must speak to someone. GL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)
    why should op have to put up with it until his exams are over? that's not fair on him

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well if OP takes action then his/her's exam grades may be affected. Which they will have to live with for the rest of their lives

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I am 16, I'm going to do my GCSEs in a month, and I'm a good student getting majority A*s. But that's not the point.

Since I was about 6 years old, I vividly remember my parents screaming at each other, arguing over the smallest of things. And, of course, it's been continuing for the past 10 years. Everything that goes wrong, there's an argument. My father lies, my mother screams at him. And they both take their anger out on me. Like they snap at me, shout at me if I do something wrong, get an A instead of an A*.

And today, it just reached boiling point. I poured all my feelings to my mother, and she just brushed it off, saying how much she suffers. I told her I haven't had a happy childhood, she says "tell your father". I say, why do you ignore me and snap at me when I talk to you she says, "ask your father".

I cannot cope anymore. I just want to leave my house, run away. Obviously I can't. Lately I've been getting really depressed (I don't do anything to myself- like cut myself) but I just bottle my feelings up. I pretend to be happy but I'm not. Sometimes I feel like crying...

My parents don't care, they just care about themselves and their own wellbeing. I don't know what to do anymore.
    I don't care when my parents argue at each other in front of me (since they never get to the point where they are shouting at each other, they're loud, but not shouting). However they have done it in front of my little sister a couple of times and I told them the second time to never do that again in front of her. So far it hasn't happened again which is good.

Get them both in a room and tell them how it is. I had never raised my voice at my parents, never will again. But when it comes to my little sister, that's a different matter. You gotta be stern, can't be crying and saying please stop. You have to tell them how it is, raise your voice a touch and remind them you may be gone once you finish college. Also tell them how it is affecting you (again, don't be weak about it, be strong).

Don't be rude though, I hate when kids are rude to their parents. That makes my blood boil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I am 16, I'm going to do my GCSEs in a month, and I'm a good student getting majority A*s. But that's not the point.

Since I was about 6 years old, I vividly remember my parents screaming at each other, arguing over the smallest of things. And, of course, it's been continuing for the past 10 years. Everything that goes wrong, there's an argument. My father lies, my mother screams at him. And they both take their anger out on me. Like they snap at me, shout at me if I do something wrong, get an A instead of an A*.

And today, it just reached boiling point. I poured all my feelings to my mother, and she just brushed it off, saying how much she suffers. I told her I haven't had a happy childhood, she says "tell your father". I say, why do you ignore me and snap at me when I talk to you she says, "ask your father".

I cannot cope anymore. I just want to leave my house, run away. Obviously I can't. Lately I've been getting really depressed (I don't do anything to myself- like cut myself) but I just bottle my feelings up. I pretend to be happy but I'm not. Sometimes I feel like crying...

My parents don't care, they just care about themselves and their own wellbeing. I don't know what to do anymore.

kk

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.