Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there any democratic, secular country with a Muslim majority? watch

ReputationRep:
    You're trolling, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    You're trolling, right?
    "The first general elections for the Consultative Assembly were scheduled to be held in Qatar for the second half of 2013,[1] but were postponed in June 2013, and have been delayed until at least 2016."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Attempt)
    "The first general electionsfor the Consultative Assembly were scheduled to be held in Qatar for the second half of 2013,[1] but were postponed in June 2013, and have been delayed until at least 2016."
    They haven't taken place yet because the dictator emir keeps delaying them. So you can't say that they "vote like us", since they haven't voted yet. Moreover, the emir appoints one third of MPs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    They haven't taken place yet because the dictator emir keeps delaying them. So you can't say that they "vote like us", since they haven't voted yet. Moreover, the emir appoints one third of MPs...

Exactly that's my point.

I never said that they were Fully democratic, I said they were run by a theocratic monarchy, but they aren't a communist authoritarian Dictatorship.

The Emir has the final say, just like In England where the Queen has the final say.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly that's my point.

I never said that they were Fully democratic, I said they were run by a theocratic monarchy, but they aren't a communist authoritarian Dictatorship.

The Emir has the final say, just like In England where the Queen has the final say.
    I'm done with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I'm done with you.

You never had an argument mate.

You don't know anything about Qatarian politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkvibes)
    There's not going to be a secular country that has a muslim majority you dim witted prick.
    Probably best to avoid calling other people 'dim witted pricks' when you have no idea what you are talking about. Indonesia, Bangladesh, and Turkey are all secular Muslim majority countries (Turkey increasingly less so but still), and together form a little less than 1/3rd of the entire world's Muslim population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Copperknickers)
    Probably best to avoid calling other people 'dim witted pricks' when you have no idea what you are talking about. Indonesia, Bangladesh, and Turkey are all secular Muslim majority countries (Turkey increasingly less so but still), and together form a little less than 1/3rd of the entire world's Muslim population.
    They just have laws for neutrality i.e. No islamic law.

Other than that they are pretty conservative and non secular

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJMD)
    If not, then why?
    Turkey. Albania. Indonesia maybe. Can't think of any others.

ReputationRep:
    Britain ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJMD)
    If not, then why?
    Cultural inferiority. Most of the Arab World was part of the Ottoman Empire before we arrived and clearly they don't hold values on the whole that are conducive to prosperity and democracy (any kind of liberty really). We were never really around long enough to impose our own values on them.

In answer to your question Morroco has refused to join the African Union is a somewhat democratic monarchy and has applied for EU membership in the past (indicating it wants little to do with most of the Arab World versus the west). Tunisia had its Arab Spring and is the only state to have elected a secular government and again wants eventual EU membership. Turkey is the same albeit for a large part of its history the military were somewhat proactive in ensuring that the people made the 'right choice' in terms of a secular rather than Islamic government.

(Original post by LittleMissMay)
    But still. The example it still might set. I'm also struggling with whether Indonesia is a democracy. But I do definitely feel it might be one of the more generally livable places with huge Islamic population.
    Indonesia has been a democracy since 2002 and is generally secular on most islands. Their version of Islam is also not extreme since they were never part of the Ottoman Empire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    Britain ?
    a poor attempt

ReputationRep:
    Albania is one of the most secular countries in the world and is democratic, I think.
    Turkey (I know that Erdogan is trying to change things but for now it still is), Indonesia is considered to be democratic too.

ReputationRep:
    Bangladesh: Where secularism and democracy is enshrined in their constitution.

Its far from perfect though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Exactly that's my point.

Wtf? You're really stretching the meaning of the words "final say"... we have a constitutional monarchy - most things the Royal family does is purely ceremonial and tradition...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    Wtf? You're really stretching the meaning of the words "final say"... we have a constitutional monarchy - most things the Royal family does is purely ceremonial and tradition...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    By final say I just mean the head of the country.

Since both are monarchies.

ReputationRep:
    By final say I just mean the head of the country.

Since both are monarchies.
    Fair enough. I don't know the politics of Qatar and how much power the Emir has, but I'm willing to bet its much more than our Queen... it was an absolute monarchy before but I think after 2003, it became a constitutional one.

Though, the countries around Qatar are absolute monarchies (Saudi and Oman): maybe Qatar is trying to be more like Jordan?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    Fair enough. I don't know the politics of Qatar and how much power the Emir has, but I'm willing to bet its much more than our Queen... it was an absolute monarchy before but I think after 2003, it became a constitutional one.

Though, the countries around Qatar are absolute monarchies (Saudi and Oman): maybe Qatar is trying to be more like Jordan?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes Qatar is a complete monarchy, but what I was telling the other guy is that they aren't a dictatorship like he's making out to be, they aren't like KSA. I do agree that they wield more power than the Queen has in England, but that still doesn't mean their totalitarian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    Britain ?
    God forbid. Assuming of course that he even exists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkvibes)
    They just have laws for neutrality i.e. No islamic law.

Other than that they are pretty conservative and non secular
    They are conservative by the standards of European countries but when you compare them to actual theocracies like Saudi Arabia, Iran, or Islamic State, the difference is striking. You can live as a non-Muslim quite comfortably (perhaps not so much as an ex-Muslim or an anti-Muslim but that's not really the government's fault).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.