Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I just think each to their own
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    we disagree because he doesn't like the idea of me being with someone else, and yes I get why people have said it's not fair to him to want more than he can give me, he's not willing to compromise and have sex more or let me explore my sexuality with other people, which I think is selfish.
    If he doesn't want you to be sexual with anyone else - and there are many possible rules that could allow that - then you have three options:

1. Accept it, or
    2. Break up over it, or
    3. Cheat.

All of them have advantages and disadvantages, but unless he changes, this is not a long-term relationship you'd be happy with, is it? That does suggest the middle option, because he is unlikely to change.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by dairychocolate)
    Can't believe I had to scroll so long to find a sensible reply.
    I was just pleased that someone (I'd say 'someone else'! ) had made one.

Personally, I would have said 'no, but we can be FWB' if OP proposed an open relationship to me.
    I'd see that as an open relationship, personally. It might not be an emotional one, but it's still a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    I was just pleased that someone (I'd say 'someone else'! ) had made one.
    True, we are on TSR after all.

I'd see that as an open relationship, personally. It might not be an emotional one, but it's still a relationship.
    But then you go down the road of having to defime exactly what a romantic relationship is.

Imo, having a ****buddy is different to having a romantic relationship with someone but also sleeping with other people, even if the difference is small and may only exist in theory.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    But then you go down the road of having to defime exactly what a romantic relationship is.

Imo, having a ****buddy is different to having a romantic relationship with someone but also sleeping with other people, even if the difference is small and may only exist in theory.
    I'd avoid trying to define it One survey just draws the distinction between sexual partners seen only once and those seen more than once / where there's the expectation that it will happen again, and ignores the hard to measure stuff like 'love'.

Yes, there is a difference in terms of the expectations of both people and that can be a large one. In theory at least, a casual relationship does not get emotional / romantic, but I'd say it's still a 'relationship' because there's an expectation that it will continue until one of the people wants to end it.

ReputationRep:
    Wtf does liking attention have to do with this?
    She has asked her boyfriend for an open relationship because he isn't satisfying her enough so she wants to get attention and satisfaction from other guys.

ReputationRep:
    It makes us seem more primitive. I don't like deducing our acts on primitive urges so I am against 'open relationships'.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.