Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Big Live TSR Debate - TODAY at 4-5pm watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    ...? Is that it? I thought you wanted to have a debate.
    It's gone 5pm Snufkin...

OK, I wouldn't remove Chat because I think it is vital to TSR to offer a place for anyone to come in and talk about anything they want. TSR is already far too complicated and overwhelming. All too often we want to file everything neatly away in set forums which goes against the grain of what the majority of people want to do, which is just post something - they don't care where they post it. If we were having this conversation in News & Feedback, even without chat existing, it would only be seen by the most avid users of TSR and not by the full spectrum of users from newbies to oldies, to daily visitors to casual once a month users.

Chat is the most popular forum on TSR, to take it away would be hugely detrimental to the site. A heaving and busy chat forum means TSR always feels lively and always has something going on. This keeps people on TSR for longer and brings people back to the site more regularly. Which means they are on the site more and therefore more likely to use the other forums.

Our moderation you say has become less strict which I find interesting, however I still think TSR can at times go a little too strict on people when they go off topic. After all, it's a discussion site. If someone massively derails a thread with pages of off topic conversation, that's a problem. If it's the odd post here or there, it doesn't matter that much in my opinion. However, because people Report so much stuff as off topic and get annoyed by anything they think is off topic, pushing the many thousands of conversations from Chat into other forums would quickly see the free and silly discussions which so many people love eradicated from TSR. Making it less fun, less interesting and indirectly, less useful as fewer people would visit it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    It's gone 5pm Snufkin...

OK, I wouldn't remove Chat because I think it is vital to TSR to offer a place for anyone to come in and talk about anything they want. TSR is already far too complicated and overwhelming. All too often we want to file everything neatly away in set forums which goes against the grain of what the majority of people want to do, which is just post something - they don't care where they post it. If we were having this conversation in News & Feedback, even without chat existing, it would only be seen by the most avid users of TSR and not by the full spectrum of users from newbies to oldies, to daily visitors to casual once a month users.

Chat is the most popular forum on TSR, to take it away would be hugely detrimental to the site. A heaving and busy chat forum means TSR always feels lively and always has something going on. This keeps people on TSR for longer and brings people back to the site more regularly. Which means they are on the site more and therefore more likely to use the other forums.

Our moderation you say has become less strict which I find interesting, however I still think TSR can at times go a little too strict on people when they go off topic. After all, it's a discussion site. If someone massively derails a thread with pages of off topic conversation, that's a problem. If it's the odd post here or there, it doesn't matter that much in my opinion. However, because people Report so much stuff as off topic and get annoyed by anything they think is off topic, pushing the many thousands of conversations from Chat into other forums would quickly see the free and silly discussions which so many people love eradicated from TSR. Making it less fun, less interesting and indirectly, less useful as fewer people would visit it.
    Debates shouldn't have time limits. :sad:

I can understand why having a forum where people can have a natter and talk about their day might be useful, but that is not what Chat is anymore. Chat has, unfortunately, become the go-to place for all users (new and old) to discuss things, ask questions, troll, make a name for themselves, earn lots of respect etc. You've essentially allowed Chat to become an all-purpose forum where people can post about anything and everything - at the expense of other forums which, as I say, are starved of activity. The Career, Study Help and particularly the University forums have become Q&A conveyor belts, there is no community left anymore because nobody stays long enough to build one - those that stay on TSR just go to Chat.

I don't agree that only the most avid users would be able to find discussions in other forums if Chat closed. In the past people managed perfectly well to find the right subforum if they wanted to talk about something or ask a question, I see no reason why they couldn't do so again. TSR does have too many forums, but you could easily remedy that and make things simpler and easier to navigate.

A heaving Chat forum might make TSR feel lively, but that doesn't mean it is. Doubtless you will tell me I'm wrong and throw statistics at me, but I think TSR feels less lively and less interesting than it used to - and I blame Chat, and the inane posting culture it has inspired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Debates shouldn't have time limits. :sad:

I can understand why having a forum where people can have a natter and talk about their day might be useful, but that is not what Chat is anymore. Chat has, unfortunately, become the go-to place for all users (new and old) to discuss things, ask questions, troll, make a name for themselves, earn lots of respect etc. You've essentially allowed Chat to become an all-purpose forum where people can post about anything and everything - at the expense of other forums which, as I say, are starved of activity. The Career, Study Help and particularly the University forums have become Q&A conveyor belts, there is no community left anymore because nobody stays long enough to build one - those that stay on TSR just go to Chat.

I don't agree that only the most avid users would be able to find discussions in other forums if Chat closed. In the past people managed perfectly well to find the right subforum if they wanted to talk about something or ask a question, I see no reason why they couldn't do so again. TSR does have too many forums, but you could easily remedy that and make things simpler and easier to navigate.

A heaving Chat forum might make TSR feel lively, but that doesn't mean it is. Doubtless you will tell me I'm wrong and throw statistics at me, but I think TSR feels less lively and less interesting than it used to - and I blame Chat, and the inane posting culture it has inspired.
    It is interesting, and I think you are right to a degree, that in some forums like some of the uni course forums have got less of a community in them.

I'm not sure I would blame Chat on that though. This is because there are still lots of other forums with community in them. For instance, Grow Your Grades is doing really well. The medical forums are still buzzing. Lots of the Study Help forums are lively still, like Maths. I think a forum's popularity is down to the effort people put into connecting a community. You do are great job across the site of doing this

In Universities, if there are any quiet forums, I think it's actually because people can't find them as well as they used to. That might be a bit down to Chat taking some attention, but I would put it more down to the fact the uni forums are harder to get to from the top menu.

Of course, it's a big ol bun fight for time in Latest Discussions which helps drive people around the site. If a forum has people posting regularly, it will draw more people in. If it goes quiet for an extended period of time, it is harder for it to get time in the spotlight. That's why forums need some chatter boxes to help them build up momentum by starting conversations and keeping others going.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.