Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    it depends on your income, so if you couldn’t afford to pay it, then you don’t, whereas if you can, then you pay a certain percentage of it
    this is quite the opposite of conservatism lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    if someone hit you, the other parties insurance will cover it.
    So, I'll have to wait for the court case to resolve before I get treated?

ReputationRep:
    I am one nation conservative because I dont agree a large welfare state or subsidies to industry makes fiscal or competitive sense. I hate how every economic activity is taxed, from buying a house or filling up your car with petrol when youve already paid Income Tax

I have some traditional values such as marriage should be recognised in tax system and freedom to refuse service to something that is against your religious beliefs.

I dont support the current Conservative Party as I feel its too authoritarian, pro war and corporatists

I would have voted Lib Dems in 2010 and did vote for my centrist Labour MP in 2015

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    So, I'll have to wait for the court case to resolve before I get treated?
    that's not how treatment pay works. you aren't required to pay directly if means don't allow.

ReputationRep:
    Two words.

Boris. And. Johnson.

ReputationRep:
    Hypothetically speaking I vote Conservative because .............

1. I absolutely detest being surrounded by poor people; the Tories get rid of them so its fair game in my opinion.
    2. George Osborne promised the economy would get better as well as bringing back Unicorns to our national parks.
    3. The Tories rob from the poor and give to the people who need it most.
    4. I am a self loathing working class person who just wishes to be middle class and wear Prada like Samantha.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not Conservative.

umad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    As the OP states, not why are people conservative, but why are you. If you aren't conservative then bugger off to someone else's thread, this one isn't for you. If you are conservative though, tell me why?
    CUZ I HAVE A BRAIN!

Everything else doesn't work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    I'm not Conservative.

umad?
    Im not mad that we disagree, im mad that you're on this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jon2016)
    I am one nation conservative because I dont agree a large welfare state or subsidies to industry makes fiscal or competitive sense. I hate how every economic activity is taxed, from buying a house or filling up your car with petrol when youve already paid Income Tax

I have some traditional values such as marriage should be recognised in tax system and freedom to refuse service to something that is against your religious beliefs.

I dont support the current Conservative Party as I feel its too authoritarian, pro war and corporatists

I would have voted Lib Dems in 2010 and did vote for my centrist Labour MP in 2015
    You sound more like a Peelite/Thatcherite than a one nation conservative to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Personally i believe in a reduced welfare state and lower taxes.

However one thing I think government should do is have a fund for buying shares in companies. Not in a lets nationalise the industries sense but. Like people/congomlerets who buy/sell stock to make a profit. I.e buy 15% shares in British airways when the stock value goes up sell them. So don't run/nationalise them but be an investor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    My beliefs:

- Competition is healthy and should be promoted;
    - Authority needs to be decentralised and the state should hold a minimal role in how things are run;
    - Promotion of democracy and democratic values. Far too many have suffered and died to provide us with this system of rule;
    - Freedom of speech and thought. You have the right to believe in whatever you like but this should not infringe on my right to mock and/or criticise said belief;
    - Change is good but revolution and populist movements can be detrimental. Any significant change should occur in stages and each stage assessed;
    - Free markets.

Conservative parties tend to be the only ones who really defend these values (whether this is changing now is another discussion all together).
    Supporting 'free markets' is almost by definition not 'conservative' as it requires radical change to our public services.
    In fact thatcher was arguably the least 'conservative' prime minister we've had.

What do this current lot of Consevatives actually want to 'conserve'? They've made radical changes to education, to health, to our Royal Mail and tried to change all schools into academies.

If anything, labour are the more conservative party as they actually want to conserve our public services and institutions.

I suggest you read Edmund Burke, a true conservative who was a fierce anti-capitalist.

ReputationRep:
    You sound more like a Peelite/Thatcherite than a one nation conservative to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really ?
    I have looked at some of her policies too right wing and not compassionate enough for my liking

ReputationRep:
    As the OP states, not why are people conservative, but why are you. If you aren't conservative then bugger off to someone else's thread, this one isn't for you. If you are conservative though, tell me why?
    I am conservative because I dislike the revolutionary march through the institutions, and I dislike Communism, and the state stifling and silencing individuals, and crippling them with taxes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really ?
    I have looked at some of her policies too right wing and not compassionate enough for my liking
    One nationists tend to prefer a larger state and a much more paternal government. If you read up on Disraeli/Peel you see the start of the free market factions vs the one nationist factions, its very interesting if youre into history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Conservative because i believe i believe that the market allocates resources better than government. I'm a Conservative because i believe in the idea of a property and share owning democracy. I'm a Conservative because i believe the aspirational should not be held back. I'm a Conservative because i believe individuals should not be shackled by taxation and that government spends far too much of my tax on rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Really ?
    Thatcher was more akin to a Victorian Liberal (and indeed the future of Conservatism is probably classical liberalism). You definitely come across that way compared to more traditional variants like One Nation.

ReputationRep:
    For me, I have a lot of left wing views, but hold right wing views on many major issues. For that reason I feel that I'm to the left of UKIP overall, and in the LD-Tory region of the spectrum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    Personally i believe in a reduced welfare state and lower taxes.

However one thing I think government should do is have a fund for buying shares in companies. Not in a lets nationalise the industries sense but. Like people/congomlerets who buy/sell stock to make a profit. I.e buy 15% shares in British airways when the stock value goes up sell them. So don't run/nationalise them but be an investor.
    But why? That's just gambling. Plus surely putting government investment in raises the questions of preference when it comes to say, bail outs or investment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Conservative because:
    • We need to uphold good old British traditions, like oppressing the poor and maintaining a long-term class divide between people born into wealth and people born into poverty. Woo!
    • I just love the Snoopers' Charter proposal that the Tories have put forward. Yes Tories! Please spy on me!
    • I believe in supporting large corporations by helping them to reduce their tax costs, because rich people need to be helped to become richer.
    • The Royal family are amazing and we need to keep them, and the Tories are the best people to help us do that! Woo! Leeches are so cooooool.
    Ahem; yeah, I hate the Tories. Although to be fair, the Tories seem to be pulling further and further away from actually being Conservatives every day, and that's a good thing imo. Half the people in this thread seem to be supporters of the modern Tories' more liberal policies and against their conservative policies, so I'm curious as to whether you guys actually believe in Conservative ideals.

(The main point of Conservatism is to maintain British traditions and social structure. Yet British 'traditions' and it's traditional social structure, if you look back at history, are actually horrible and ripe for instigating discrimination....)

Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.