Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

are immigrants taking our jobs/ harming the british public chances Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)

- You have people who go to the UK to work on low paid jobs, which are still better than their wages in their native country. If employers bring them in the UK, it means that they can be paid less than native Brits. As a result, they won't pay much tax and will live in ghettos, since they cannot afford to live in a better place; they will also prefer to stick with their network of fellow immigrants so they can better cope with living costs.

- And you have people who go to the UK because life looks better there. They are not educated, don't have skills, sometimes don't even speak English, so they don't have a job and live in slums.

All these people are immigrants, but only the first category is worth it. Overall the net contribution may be positive, but it would be much better without the latter two categories.
    Same can be said about the native though? Alot of them are also not educated. Whilst i agree with you, if you kick what you basically described as the "useless" immigrants than surely you should also kick out the "useless" brits who are benefiting from taxes paid for by the first category you mentioned.

No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRFT8)
    Same can be said about the native though? Alot of them are also not educated. Whilst i agree with you, if you kick what you basically described as the "useless" immigrants than surely you should also kick out the "useless" brits who are benefiting from taxes paid for by the first category you mentioned.
    We indeed have to deal with a lot of useless native people that we can't kick out, but it's not an excuse to admit similar immigrants. Besides, I think that the people you describe as useless Brits are still more educated than the several thousands of immigrants from Somalia that have been accepted over the last two decades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRFT8)
    People who already live in the uk are our problem we don't need to import more

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    People who already live in the uk are our problem we don't need to import more

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought they were taking out jobs?
    You see this is an old trick, claim that immigrants are somehow taking our jobs and taking out benefits simultaneously...

The reality is we have an ageing population which puts a strain on public services and the tax payer, thus we need immigration and more people of working age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    We indeed have to deal with a lot of useless native people that we can't kick out, but it's not an excuse to admit similar immigrants. Besides, I think that the people you describe as useless Brits are still more educated than the several thousands of immigrants from Somalia that have been accepted over the last two decades.
    Well, they are refugees. That is the difference. The decision to accept them has not got anything to do with their economic contribution.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.