Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worst things about video games these days Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    MW2, [email protected] and BLOPs 1 are the only ones I can say I have enjoyed, the current ones don't even look fun in videos let alone if I were to play them.

That is true, although GTA V and I hope Uncharted 4 did/will have extensive campaigns.

Another annoyance:
    Inconsistencies in penalties. Sometimes on WRC 5 you can cut a corner massively, other times so much as touching the apex of the track and you get penalised. The damage system is wildly inconsistent too.
    In the case of GTA V I heard that one of the lead developers of the storylines walked out after the realise of GTA online and it was speculated that this is why they have focused so much on DLC's for the online version rather than touch the single player. I'm not raising my hopes for the new when/if it comes out.

I feel as well that in any variety of games whether it's racing or in some cases FPS like CoD it's like the developers push people to all go with the same 'weapon' or 'vehicle' which can sometimes be a cause for people getting bored with games nowadays as it limits variety in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently with the new Hitman game they'll be releasing a level each month... :'D

PlGLET

ReputationRep:
    Unskippable credits
    Unskippable tutorials

Pretty much anything 'pointless' that's unskippable.

ReputationRep:
    That history is now in the hands of the publisher. We can still play and discover old games from the Mega Drive, Nintendo days. 40 years from now, people will only be able to play certain PS6 and PC games, and even then their content may have been adjusted for legal reasons, like an anti-director's cut.

Games can be and are being wiped from history at the whim of the companies. When the internet becomes regulated and emulation and YouTube game videos disappear, say goodbye to experiencing iconic or plain enjoyable old games ever again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    That history is now in the hands of the publisher. We can still play and discover old games from the Mega Drive, Nintendo days. 40 years from now, people will only be able to play certain PS6 and PC games, and even then their content may have been adjusted for legal reasons, like an anti-director's cut.

Games can be and are being wiped from history at the whim of the companies. When the internet becomes regulated and emulation and YouTube game videos disappear, say goodbye to experiencing iconic or plain enjoyable old games ever again.
    Yeah, I started thinking about this last gen since that's when games and hardware OSs really started to depend heavily on the presence of an internet connection. What happens when those servers eventually shutdown and patches/ critical updates are no longer available?

Last gen marked the beginnining of the end of being able to pick up old orginal hardware and stick a game in and play it in its complete state.You'll either have to put up with a buggy, unpatched version or worse still you won't be able to play it at all.

The current gen machines and software releases have only become more online reliant.
    In the future, it will be much harder to be a 360 or PS4 retro gamer than it is to be a PS2 or Dreamcast one.

ReputationRep:
    Too futuristic

ReputationRep:
    As a single player only person I managed to avoid much of the bs throughout the last gen, but I'm really starting to feel down about games.

I'm tired of having to wait to see if a single player component of a game will be always online.

I'm tired of seeing "preorder now for 7000 bonuses" on Amazon/advertising.

I dislike games starting to be cut up into episodic chunks and the rise of paid early access and the continuing nickel and diming of fans through early access, microtransactions, continual dlc and season passes.

Of course many of these things have been around for a while, but I'm really annoyed at how the Internet has allowed developers to get lazy. I got a PS4 late last year. I have a pretty good internet connection, but patches have already taken 2-4 hours to download. Pondering what to do for a few hours is now part of the process instead of insert disk and play.

But day one patches aren't enough now for buggy games, now things are being shipped out with parts missing to be added later. Street fighter V is an obvious one, but as a fan of Crackdown I found myself looking at the development- and it is being suggested the game might be released without single player, which will be added later.

Oh also multiplayer only games, I don't mind them, but don't come out and say no one wants SP, Titanfall, Evolve etc have shown a trend for quickly sinking like a stone. Release them sure, but don't declare you're doing it because no one likes sp anymore.

Sadly this is not everything, and it is why I look back with sadness on my simple Xbox 360 days :emo:

ReputationRep:
    When they release a game in "episodes" where you have to wait AND pay extra to get the next episode. Like they're doing with FFVII pretty much. I don't mind it so much with games like Life is Strange that read more like a book but when you're more involved with a game... And when they don't add in your favourite character etc. but add them as DLC because they know you'll be a sucker and buy them. Just makes it feel like you've been sold an incomplete game. xP

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else kinda miss the 'B' games, made by smaller or less well known studios? We're at a point where games are pretty much either 'AAA' huge money, or indie, with not much in-between.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mochassassin)
    This is true! The graphics/storyline thing works both ways!
    Like 'Life Is Strange' for instance - amazing story-heavy game but the awful facial movements were so off-putting. The off-timing lip syncing was stuff of nightmares. But it was overlooked because of the amazing plot.
    Sequels too, omg. Gaming companies nowadays just don't know when to treasure the one successful game they make. They just need to milk the franchise and make things worse. >.<
    Usually games up until no.2 are great, then it all goes downhill (I'm looking at you, Ubisoft :unimpressed:).
    I had the same issue with Elder scrolls 4. Skyrim was just all kinds of amazing but the faces in Oblivion just made me go arrrrrgh - its a deformed goblin.

Im only a casual and dont do multiplayer so my biggest issue is lack of content and constant DLC. Patching i dont really mind especially for things like MMO's. Eso is a great example of this. Utterly unplayable at launch but now its not too bad at all.

Wow on the other hand is it going too far the other way. The game pretty much leads you by the hand for the entire time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    (Fallout 4, Skyrim weren't amazing graphically IMO)
    tbf tho the sky in skyrim was hot af

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    tbf tho the sky in skyrim was hot af
    true dat

ReputationRep:
    Expensive. Some look good in advertising but when you play, it's a load of crap and a waste of money

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A general lack of respect for the medium.

(a) Games developers and publishers push marketing to the Nth degree, declaring games like Hitman a failure because the 18m copies shifted didnt cover the decadent expense of the marketing material and build costs. This desire to have all the money leads to inferior products, a reluctance to support any kind of risky development and homogenizes the industry to the point of devaluing it.

(b) This marketing - such as preorders - relies on a trust they do not establish. Games release broken, buggy, horribly optimised, badly made, poorly designed and often with day one patches. The industry demands your trust in ever more circuitous ways but never justifies it, rather than attempting to garner pre-orders by being a reputable company with undeniably polished products of worth they slice out what they know the gamers will sorely miss ie the Greek States Culture Pack in RTW2 (which was such a mess I need multiple mods to make it merely functional) or the From Ashes DLC in Mass Effect 3.

(c) This slicing out of content isnt limited to merely pre-order incentives. DLC is cut from the main game or worked in to it, again Mass Effect 3 literally has a DLC sell right in your face (you play the opening arc of the story and it then basically advertises the DLC), Assassins Creed 'Bonfire of the Vanities' DLC was literally missing midway through the sequence with the lead character suggesting you should 'uncorrupt the memory later' to see the important info it had (an in game DLC sell) and these are just two of many examples. Never mind the DLC is often overhyped and under-delivers.

(d) this corporate mindset drives everything, money is more important than artistic vision and genuinely good designers with unique ideas, fantastic story writing talent etc are overlooked to copy CoD or the latest series that sells well.

(e) this copycat attitude extends to even indie devs, where a hundred versions of DayZ will come out, where a certain style of game or even derivative direct copy/pastes of unity assets far outnumber the genuinely well designed and well made games like Fez, Outlast even the Shovel Knight remake.

(g) Quality is generally low. Multiplayer dominates, take Just Cause 3. Its piss poor writing was a result of a story being ham fisted in at the last second when it was realised single player does sell - titanfall didnt even bother with a single player mode, star wars battlefront lied about having one (the same maps with bots is not a single player mode, as far back as the ps2 that was offline multiplayer. On that note, where is split screen and general support for offline features?

(h) The obsession with graphics and safety destroys even proven concepts. Take battlefront, a shocking CoD clone that cut all the uniqueness and character of its source material - all they had to do was make the same game with better graphics but too scared to leave their comfort zone, EA instead just reskinned battlefield and messed up the balancing anyway.

There are a lot more things I hate but this is becoming a bit of an essay

ReputationRep:
    DLC! Without a doubt this is a major cancer of the gaming world. I have no resentment towards fully fledged expansion packs that offer actual content, unfortunately somewhere in the 00s this died off and was replaced by half arsed DLC.

ReputationRep:
    I especially dislike microtransactions in fully paid for games. That should have been left in free to play games. It is annoying and is making its way into almost every game. Especially when they're not just cosmetics. Selling power is the worst thing you can do. I also dislike DLC if it is advertised prior to release, and is available on release. Mass Effect 3 comes to mind. Javik is extremely relevant to the plot and so many people will never even know he exists. It's sad, because he's an awesome character as well. DLC that is created after the game is shipped and comes a couple months down the line is fine.

I don't like the how more and more games are going online only. When the servers go down for these games, you will never be able to play them again. This is not good. I enjoy online gameplay, but I wish all games had an offline mode. I also dislike how so many games are shoehorning in online multiplayer. This is probably due to the players who refuse to buy a game that doesn't have multiplayer. I will never understand that.

Games being released unfinished, because developers and publishers know they can patch it after release is also annoying. This would be unacceptable in any other industry. Games are obviously getting more advanced, so it's difficult to ensure everything will work perfectly from the get go, but some of the bugs that make it into the game on release aren't acceptable. You'd assume the QA teams found the bugs, but the devs just left them in, due to deadlines from publishers.

I dislike how a lot of developers are choosing to go with prettier visuals over performance. This is only really a console problem. Developers will give up 60fps to get a prettier picture. This started to happen last gen and has continued into this gen. A lot of current AAA games can't even hold a stable 30fps. People say that the hardware is underpowered, which is true, but the devs know what they have to work with. Downgrade the visuals, so the game can at least perform at the absolute minimum standard (a locked 30fps).

I also dislike how the gaming community as a whole has gotten whinier. Probably hypocritical after typing this post out, but it just seems that way to me. Every single game that releases is met with a lot of negativity from the community. Going to the forum of a newly released game is a terrible experience. It's always full of people crying. It's hard to find any useful information, because it's all people complaining. I'm sure it's gotten worse over the last few years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melinae)
    When they release a game in "episodes" where you have to wait AND pay extra to get the next episode. Like they're doing with FFVII pretty much. I don't mind it so much with games like Life is Strange that read more like a book but when you're more involved with a game... And when they don't add in your favourite character etc. but add them as DLC because they know you'll be a sucker and buy them. Just makes it feel like you've been sold an incomplete game. xP
    People are going to be waiting years for FFVII's episodes which will be a stark contrast to the months between current episodic game releases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)

It's happening, and yes it's EA: http://www.gamezone.com/news/project...y-dead-3437217

Today, Project Spark. 20 years from now, it'll be Bulletstorm or Mercenaries. 50 years, it'll be Mass Effect and Plants vs Zombies.

ReputationRep:
    What I don't like is pre-ordering. It just makes the Devs complete the game without actually completing. Meaning when you get the game, it's broken. Another example, Batman Arkham Knight. That game WAS literally broken on PC. The Devs never thought it'll be same on console as it'll be the same on PC. The port was soooooo crap that they had to remove the game for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leafcannon)
    Unskippable credits
    Unskippable tutorials

Pretty much anything 'pointless' that's unskippable.
    Yeah! I hate it when you've already played through a game once or even twice, and you decide to play it again and you can't skip the tutorials when you already know all of the controls.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.