Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How have you made friends at university? watch

• View Poll Results: What ways have you made friends at university?
    University halls
    42.25%
    Private halls
    1.41%
    Privately rented flat/houseshare
    2.82%
    Lectures, classes and/or tutorials
    57.75%
    University library
    7.04%
    Sports and societies
    39.44%
    Nights out
    25.35%
    Part time work
    11.27%
    Volunteering
    9.86%
    Through other university friends
    33.80%
    Other (please state)
    5.63%
    I haven't really made any friends at university
    19.72%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    You can develop such skills without uni to be fair, but I totally get what you're saying. Will take al, your advice on board, thanks :yy:
    But going to an actual brick uni makes it so much easier as everything's there at the Union ready for you to take advantage of, whereas if you're distance learning, it's a lot more difficult as there are no societies and finding zero hours contracts that pay above the minimum wage are incredibly difficult. These things also expose you to more people you can befriend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    But going to an actual brick uni makes it so much easier as everything's there at the Union ready for you to take advantage of, whereas if you're distance learning, it's a lot more difficult as there are no societies and finding zero hours contracts that pay above the minimum wage are incredibly difficult. These things also expose you to more people you can befriend.
    Well, if I were gonna go for distance learning, I would want to get a full time job to do alongside it. I already have a zero hours job now whilst at college, and I wouldn't rely on that alone for an income. And I don't believe uni is a necessity, as I have friends who have good jobs without going to uni, just lots of work experience from the bottom got them to where they are. I don't really want to revolve my life too much around pleasing prospective employers tbh, I just merely want to be happy and am weighing up what personal benefits I could possibly gain from uni

I went to an applicants day at my firm uni recently, and the students union stuff seemed quite appealing, I must admit. I found out that anyone could start their own society, which seems cool! I still worry that I would just end up being some unpopular loner though from just not fitting in with anyone, so it's a tough decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Well, if I were gonna go for distance learning, I would want to get a full time job to do alongside it. I already have a zero hours job now whilst at college, and I wouldn't rely on that alone for an income. And I don't believe uni is a necessity, as I have friends who have good jobs without going to uni, just lots of work experience from the bottom got them to where they are. I don't really want to revolve my life too much around pleasing prospective employers tbh, I just merely want to be happy and am weighing up what personal benefits I could possibly gain from uni

I went to an applicants day at my firm uni recently, and the students union stuff seemed quite appealing, I must admit. I found out that anyone could start their own society, which seems cool! I still worry that I would just end up being some unpopular loner though from just not fitting in with anyone, so it's a tough decision.
    If you want to have any chance of advancing in your career, you're going to want to get used to pleasing employers from the get go. It might not be what you want to hear but it's truth.

Uni's nothing like school-it's so much bigger than school so you'd have difficulty finding people you don't click with. You just have to be brave enough to give a lot of things a go and actually talk to the people you meet there

ReputationRep:
    I met my friends on the course. I left in 2014 and I'm still in regular contact with one of them. My university experience wasn't really typical though as I did my degree locally and most of the people on the course and I were mature students (quite a few had children) so there wasn't really much of a social side. People I know who had the more usual experience met friends via halls/house shares, socities, sports, parties etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FailedTeacher)
    Part-time job in a nightclub gave me such social scene I've never experienced previously! Something about working together really brings people together, that and film society!
    I'm curious: What do you do in film society and what's it like? I'm a massive film buff myself and that's the society i'm most looking forward to join when I start uni in September.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.