Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, sorry! My first exam is 3rd May is that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RueXO)
    X
    I've got my GCSEs in around 3 weeks now too, and this explanation was really useful. Thanks for taking the time! Also, amazing GCSE grades! I want a mixture of As and A*s (really not bothered about getting an amount of A*s).

Do you have any more tips for English? I used to be very good at it (I still have a natural flare for it) but I HATE it now, I don't understand how it is marked, people write the same points as me and get higher grades... Also, I write with flawless spag yet I get 5/7 for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BanterSmith)
    (Aimed at people who have done their GCSES)
    Admittedly, I've left revising fairly late due to coursework deadlines. Consequently, I haven't studied much and its 4 weeks until my exams. All my predicted grades are either A*/A (6A* and 6A), however i'm not sure if i'm able to attain that due to my lack of revision. I want to attain as many A* Grades as possible so I can get into a top university. Do you know any effective methods of time management that could help me cram as much revision in as possible? Do you have a good method that helped you revise for your language exams? ( German/ French/Spanish) And how did you revise for your English Literature Poetry Exams?
    Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any help is greatly appreciated
    I got 6A*5A 1C did no revision.
    Gcses are a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whydoidothis?)
    I got 6A*5A 1C did no revision.
    Gcses are a joke.
    You can't have done NO revision...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romansholiday)
    I've got my GCSEs in around 3 weeks now too, and this explanation was really useful. Thanks for taking the time! Also, amazing GCSE grades! I want a mixture of As and A*s (really not bothered about getting an amount of A*s).

Do you have any more tips for English? I used to be very good at it (I still have a natural flare for it) but I HATE it now, I don't understand how it is marked, people write the same points as me and get higher grades... Also, I write with flawless spag yet I get 5/7 for it
    Sure language or lit? I'll get back to you in detail when I can! I got full marks on SPaG, I suggest you ask your teacher where you're losing out. It could be very subtle grammar mistakes which you aren't aware of. In terms of marking, they are looking for certain AOs. Doesn't the teacher give you the marksheet? Ask her for a copy, if not, go to the website of your board (we did OCR English) and get it off there. If you still don't get the marking, ask your teacher, she should be able to go through it with you and also give feedback on how to improve.
    If I were you, I'd do some peer comparison with the people who get higher marks. Ask them for photocopies of their work and compare your work. Surely there must be something which is pushing them into that higher band; try to incorporate it into your work. Does your teacher give you exemplar essays? At A level (Lit) we are sometimes given photocopies of model essays which fall in Band 5, and also are given marksheets with each band, the marks which fall within the bands and the AOs.
    Good luck with your GCSEs! If you have anything specific for English Lit, Maths or Philosophy&Ethics (religious studies) feel free to ask, as I'm currently studying them so I actually know stuff😂 Whereas I can only faintly recollect memories of other subjects (but I can still try. As long as it's not a science 🙄)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romansholiday)

Also, try not to have a fixed mindset of 'X As X A*s, just try your absolute best and the grades will come and Like I mentioned earlier, there's no point in putting in equal effort in each subject. Try and put more time and effort into the subjects you want to carry on at A level (a strong foundation goes miles) and obviously Maths and English since these are core necessary subjects which will help you with any A level you do (especially English- A level psychology is easier for me due to my foundation in English)
    Oh and just to mention, make sure you actually look at the specifications of what you want to do at A level 🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃 because I didn't. And I regret it every day. A level philosophy and ethics is literally a pisstake, nothing like GCSE lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.