The Student Room Group

Eton is cheaper in terms of contact time

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ivybridge
Because you are capable of doing that and doing it properly :smile:

Fairs. It was in jest, referencing a scene from "good will hunting", not sure if you've watched that? Excellent movie. :biggrin:
Meh, fair enough.

Fair enough. I was like that when my parents wanted to send me to a boarding school in Edinburgh - heeeeeeell no.

Felt sort of bad though, literally told them the day before school that I refused to go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
Fairs. It was in jest, referencing a scene from "good will hunting", not sure if you've watched that? Excellent movie. :biggrin:

My maths teacher recommended that a while back, that the one with the smart janitor?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken

No, I know! I wasn't trying to be a dick, I'm just saying you're capable of that - I would absolutely fail at doing that. It's good on your part - means you're a pretty amazing human being, aha.

I haven't... :colondollar:
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Doubt it, probably more valuable than an Oxbridge degree.

Definitely
Original post by drandy76
Felt sort of bad though, literally told them the day before school that I refused to go

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah... um... wise move. Haha.
Reply 46
Original post by drandy76
My maths teacher recommended that a while back, that the one with the smart janitor?

No, I know! I wasn't trying to be a dick, I'm just saying you're capable of that - I would absolutely fail at doing that. It's good on your part - means you're a pretty amazing human being, aha.

I'm sure you'd be able to do it if you put your mind to me, it certainly felt impossible at the start. How's your American applications going, by the way? :biggrin:

I haven't... :colondollar:

Yeees, you both should! :yes:
Yeah... um... wise move. Haha.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that jazz

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
I'm sure you'd be able to do it if you put your mind to me, it certainly felt impossible at the start. How's your American applications going, by the way? :biggrin:

I'll watch it whenever I decide to learn d2, will need something to crush the boredom

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken

I probably could I suppose but I doubt I'd do particularly well. I think it's different if you're doing the sciences and maths - it's much more black and white whereas English Literature and Philosophy do actually require some discussion and assistance. History I could probably do on my own though. They went... okay... I suppose. I'm waiting for some final decisions at the moment still.

I may.
Reply 50
I probably could I suppose but I doubt I'd do particularly well. I think it's different if you're doing the sciences and maths - it's much more black and white whereas English Literature and Philosophy do actually require some discussion and assistance. History I could probably do on my own though. They went... okay... I suppose. I'm waiting for some final decisions at the moment still.

That's a very good point. Yeah, it's really only the maths and sciences that lend themselves well to self-teaching. Ah, good luck with them!
Original post by Zacken
That's a very good point. Yeah, it's really only the maths and sciences that lend themselves well to self-teaching. Ah, good luck with them!

Thank you :smile:.
If I went to a private/public school and didn't get in to Oxbridge/LSE/ICL I would be ashamed for the rest of my life. That's why I'm glad I went to state school...
Then don't make the claims. Plenty of schools around the country get vast numbers into Oxbridge every year and then get another hefty sum into American elites. It really doesn't matter though does it? Oxbridge and the Ivies are not everything and I know quite a lot of people with literally all A*s who didn't want to even apply to either for various reasons. It's not really a sufficient measure of who's good and who isn't.

I meant I was calling ******** on the premise that it has gotten more people into Oxbridge in a year than any other school in the country. And more so how that made it better... lol just no.

:frown: Sorry

Fairs - why?

Seems like someone is salty that they didn't get into Oxbridge...

Nice name btw
Original post by anonwinner
If I went to a private/public school and didn't get in to Oxbridge/LSE/ICL I would be ashamed for the rest of my life. That's why I'm glad I went to state school...

Original post by anonwinner
Seems like someone is salty that they didn't get into Oxbridge...

Nice name btw

I didn't apply? Nor did I want to. I looked at both schools and hated them... as many have before me and many will after me. Get over yourself.
Original post by Zacken
Everybody here talking about 41k private schools and here I am self-teaching with a quid a month at the library. :lol:

YAASSSS, same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's pretty strange being an ex-private school kid, I can never say I squarely went to one or the other.

Wouldn't trade my time in private international schools for anything though, they made me the open minded, culturally fluid person I am today. Looking back at how much my dad's employer paid in fees for the schools is a bit sickening ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
To drag this back to the original issue: comparing the value of relative contact time at Eton vs university is a flawed approach, as each scenario involves totally different modes of learning (taught vs self-directed), with different expectations of the pupil/student.

It's more like glamping vs a solo expedition.
Original post by Daftpunker
In terms of hourly rate (based on the average 11 hours a week contact time students have in their courses) it now costs double to attend ANY university then it does to attend Eton College. Unbelievable...probably the most over-priced thing in the history of the UK.

I will throw another stat in to the mix.

The average cost of looking after a child in care was estimated* at £36,524 per year in 2013/4.

What discount do you think Eton would give for a bulk order?

* By the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accounting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending