Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your views on a 20yr male sexting a 16yr old girl. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Sending a naked image of yourself via text message, or social media, when you’re below the age of 18 is technically illegal. It counts as an offence of distributing an indecent image of a child and is something you could receive a police caution for. You could even end up on the sex offenders register.
    Detective Sergeant Jan Rusdale of the Nottinghamshire force warns: “[People who do it] could end up on the register for a couple of years. When they come to getting a job this would then count against them.”
    Sonn adds: “The law doesn’t distinguish between an indecent image of you and an indecent image of someone else.”
    You sort of derailed this by going straight for the laws surrounding images.

Sexting can be free of exchanging images. What is the deal there with the law?

And you have mentioned the images of the underage person, but what about if the adult sends the image to somebody underage?

Your comment is exclusively limited to images of the underage person and doesn't cover the various forms that sexting can take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    You sort of derailed this by going straight for the laws surrounding images.

Sexting can be free of exchanging images. What is the deal there with the law?

And you have mentioned the images of the underage person, but what about if the adult sends the image to somebody underage?

Your comment is exclusively limited to images of the underage person and doesn't cover the various forms that sexting can take.

Say I was sexting a 16 year old (im 20), didn't send any sexually explicit photos, maybe the odd topless one but generally just explicit messages, would you say it's okay, im not aware of the law regarding this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BicepPeak)
    Say I was sexting a 16 year old (im 20), didn't send any sexually explicit photos, maybe the odd topless one but generally just explicit messages, would you say it's okay, im not aware of the law regarding this.
    That's the question I'm asking lol. There appears to be a lot of grey areas. And it will depend on intent and solicitation I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    That's the question I'm asking lol. There appears to be a lot of grey areas. And it will depend on intent and solicitation I guess.
    The age difference isn't that bad!

ReputationRep:
    16 year olds can legally consent to having sex with someone of any age, so i don't see why the same rule shouldn't apply to sexting (such a wide term anyway).

ReputationRep:
    1/2(20) + 7 = 17.

Too young. Arrest him.

ReputationRep:
    Although it's illegal, do you think it's morally wrong. ? What if they're actually dating ?
    what's the problem???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    what's the problem???

I did leave 'sexting' up to interpretation, but if there's nudes involved then it becomes illegal. But what about if there is no sexually explicit images involved and just messages.

ReputationRep:
    I did leave 'sexting' up to interpretation, but if there's nudes involved then it becomes illegal. But what about if there is no sexually explicit images involved and just messages.
    questionable relationship if nudes are involved i'd say

i guess then there's not a problem... not in my eyes anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    you are quite correct... but PC Plod is the forces of law and order are more interested in busting people for rude pictures than rude epigrams.
    Agreed, although the original question was whether a 20 year-old sexting a 16 year-old is illegal. If sexting doesn't necessarily include nude photos then it isn't necessarily unlawful (at least on the basis you've set out), if indeed its unlawful at all. Which bring me to the added part (b) to my previous post - can you point me to legislation which supports what you're saying?

ReputationRep:
    I did answer in relation to text - as long as the person is of the age of consent it wouldn't be deemed abusive. As long as they want the messages. You can't just randomly text a girl something. You also have to be aware of her mental capacity because that can change the age of consent to 18.

Basically it's just better to leave the kids alone.

ReputationRep:
    Let her focus on her GCSE's fam...

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but to me it always feels very predatory. I would be uncomfortable if I had a 16 year old daughter seeing a 20 year old guy, and he'd be well aware of my feelings on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGreatImposter)
    Its absolutely disgusting and the fact that some people get away with it is even worse. If you're a minor and you're taking advantage of someone who may be vulnerable is unacceptable.
    What's wrong with sexting someone who can legally actually have real non-text-based sex?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    What's wrong with sexting someone who can legally actually have real non-text-based sex?
    Okay let's say you're 22/23, and you're graduated and maybe even have a job. A girl who just turned 16 is doing her GCSE's, what do you have in common? You're treating the girl like a booty call when she's at the age where she's probably started getting attention from boys, it's exciting and she'll probably fall for the guy when the guy may not feel the same way. She's more vulnerable to doing something she regrets/ sending nudes. Okay I know I'm generalising and there are exceptions e.g. the girl may feel ready to have sex/ want to sext and may be in relationship etc. So yes the legal age may be 16 but they may not be mentally prepared/ rushed into something they may not want to do.

So THAT is what is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Age of consent is 16 yes, however I'm sure it's illegal to sext under 18s
    only if you are exchanging indecent images....

ReputationRep:
    Okay let's say you're 22/23, and you're graduated and maybe even have a job. A girl who just turned 16 is doing her GCSE's, what do you have in common? You're treating the girl like a booty call when she's at the age where she's probably started getting attention from boys, it's exciting and she'll probably fall for the guy when the guy may not feel the same way. She's more vulnerable to doing something she regrets/ sending nudes. Okay I know I'm generalising and there are exceptions e.g. the girl may feel ready to have sex/ want to sext and may be in relationship etc. So yes the legal age may be 16 but they may not be mentally prepared/ rushed into something they may not want to do.

So THAT is what is wrong.
    I thought you were saying it's always disgusting, which seemed kind of ridiculous to me. It's clear when someone's taking advantage in a harmful manner (knowing all the facts ofc), but otherwise, there's not enough there to have such a strong view against it. Also I might be a little high and so probably not making full sense.

ReputationRep:
    Although it's illegal, do you think it's morally wrong. ? What if they're actually dating ?
    It is illegal and two 14 year olds can't do it with each other either.

https://www.disrespectnobody.co.uk/sexting/advice/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    I thought you were saying it's always disgusting, which seemed kind of ridiculous to me. It's clear when someone's taking advantage in a harmful manner (knowing all the facts ofc), but otherwise, there's not enough there to have such a strong view against it. Also I might be a little high and so probably not making full sense.
    I just think that it's wrong to prey on young girls and ask for nudes. Okay I can kinda get the fact that if two 16 year olds want to sext or whatever but there's a bit of a age gap between 16 and 20. Sometimes guys may send "**** pics" to a girl who's young and they may feel like they have to return the favour. Why is it such a big deal to wait a couple of years where both parties know what they're getting themselves into. You were not at the same maturity at 16 as you are now, heck, even my maturity has changed a lot over the past few years.

ReputationRep:
    I just think that it's wrong to prey on young girls and ask for nudes. Okay I can kinda get the fact that if two 16 year olds want to sext or whatever but there's a bit of a age gap between 16 and 20. Sometimes guys may send "**** pics" to a girl who's young and they may feel like they have to return the favour. Why is it such a big deal to wait a couple of years where both parties know what they're getting themselves into. You were not at the same maturity at 16 as you are now, heck, even my maturity has changed a lot over the past few years.
    I'm not talking about nudes, btw. As a guy I'll admit they're nearly always a gesture of wanting something in return, and doing that with a 16 yr old is most definitely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    I'm not talking about nudes, btw. As a guy I'll admit they're nearly always a gesture of wanting something in return, and doing that with a 16 yr old is most definitely wrong.
    I'm glad you could see my viewpoint :h:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.