Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A 'fact' from your subject watch

ReputationRep:
    Stalin was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.

ReputationRep:
    History.

One of the announcement of the end of the Berlin Wall was actually a result of a miscommunication. There was this politician in the east, who was talking about a visa that can be given to the people of the east to go to the west. He wasn't talking about ending the wall but just about opening the border. Because he miscommunicated, everyone thought it was the end of the Berlin Wall, that everything was finished. People from the east went to the borders expecting the actual end of the wall much to the confusion of the guards who thought that people needed visas.

Riots and protests ensued and the head of the security of the wall just gave up and ordered the guards to just let everyone through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Apart from electrolyte imbalances which cause arrhythmia don't cause heart attacks, the arrhythmia can be severe enough to cause loss of cardiac output ie. a cardiac arrest. A heart attack (aka myocardial infarction) and a cardiac arrest are two different things, a heart attack can lead to a cardiac arrest, but the mechanisms leading to arrest are very different to what you've described here.
    Yup, 100% true - very astute. Admittedly I was using the phrase 'heart attack' to make it accessible to a lower-level audience, but it was indeed full-on wrong terminology!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Subject: Maths

Fact:

\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{\pi} = \dfrac{2\sqrt{2}}{9801} \sum_{k \geqslant 0} \dfrac{(4k)!}{(k!)^4}\left( \dfrac{26390k + 1103}{396^{4k}} \right)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    99% of the human genome is junk i.e. non-coding. There is no divine design. It's a bit of a mess, and not very efficient.

On the other hand: The genetic code is non-random and the natural code that evolved is literally one in a million. If you employ weightings to allow for biases in translation, then only 1 in every million random alternative codes generated is more efficient than the natural code.

The genetic code is one in a million

The paradox here baffles me. Are we designed well or not?!
    I'm not sure you're doing DNA justice by calling it 99% junk! Indeed 1.5% of DNA is coding for proteins, and 98.5% is not - however, up to 25% of DNA is estimated to be 'gene footprints' - promoter regions, introns, exons, involved in regulating the transcription of certain mRNAs, to make sure each gene is expressed appropriately.

That does leave 75% of the genome which we don't yet know the precise function of... however, it clearly all contributes to the higher-order structure of DNA in nucleosomes, chromosomes etc, which is a role in itself really - as well as some of it forming the centromere/telomeres to allow DNA replication. Maybe there is some kind of relevance to the coding of that 75%, but it seems unknown so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Star Light)
    Yup, 100% true - very astute. Admittedly I was using the phrase 'heart attack' to make it accessible to a lower-level audience, but it was indeed full-on wrong terminology!
    It's a bit of a pet hate of mine, the BHF recently did something on Facebook to explain the difference between the two terms

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure you're doing DNA justice by calling it 99% junk! Indeed 1.5% of DNA is coding for proteins, and 98.5% is not - however, up to 25% of DNA is estimated to be 'gene footprints' - promoter regions, introns, exons, involved in regulating the transcription of certain mRNAs, to make sure each gene is expressed appropriately.

That does leave 75% of the genome which we don't yet know the precise function of... however, it clearly all contributes to the higher-order structure of DNA in nucleosomes, chromosomes etc, which is a role in itself really - as well as some of it forming the centromere/telomeres to allow DNA replication. Maybe there is some kind of relevance to the coding of that 75%, but it seems unknown so far.
    Oh yes, I know that, but any non-coding DNA is referred to as 'junk' as the scientific term.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    bed bugs - why we need feminism
    This made me giggle :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    uuuummmmm
    the american IMF member state quota is about 17%

ReputationRep:
    business management is boring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    Oh yes, I know that, but any non-coding DNA is referred to as 'junk' as the scientific term.
    I'm glad you do :-) just wanted to make sure people who haven't studied it didn't misunderstand the terminology - your opening sentence fairly easily translated to (for a layperson) 'we don't need 99% of our DNA', which would be quite detrimental

ReputationRep:
    PIV, Power = Current x Voltage
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    The Tempest is neither a tragedy or a comedy.

ReputationRep:
    A level History: History is great until you have to do medieval history. Tudor England is a pain in the arse.

ReputationRep:
    You can get $1,000,000 for solving a maths problem. In fact there are 6 remaining problems with this prize, so you could technically win $6,000,000. The last time a million dollar prize was won was in 2003, when Grigori Perelman solved the Poincaré conjecture, though he declined the prize.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forestshadow)
    fact from a lvl chemistry..

its hard
    omg forest shadow does not have a meme for this post!!!!!!! I repeat no meme the world is ending! Zombie apocalypse run run

ReputationRep:
    Assembling a portfolio of securities diversifies away the specific risk attached to each individual security.

Risk is reduced most effectively if you combine securities with low or, especially, negative covariance – such as an oil firm whose share price drops when there’s a breakthrough in battery technology, and an electric car firm whose share price rises when this happens.

Subject: Economics (unsurprisingly)

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you do :-) just wanted to make sure people who haven't studied it didn't misunderstand the terminology - your opening sentence fairly easily translated to (for a layperson) 'we don't need 99% of our DNA', which would be quite detrimental
    Oh yes, to be honest that was bad way of putting it because like you said there are definitely some important elements of the genome which are not strictly coding.

For example, have you heard of Cryptic Unstable Transcripts?

These sit next to essential genes and keep the chromatin open that the promoter can always be accessed by the transcription factor if upregulation of the essential gene is required.

This is in yeast, but yes an example of where the non-coding parts of the genome are infact useful. I shall edit to ensure the term junk is understood by a lay person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenOfNachos)
    A level History: History is great until you have to do medieval history. Tudor England is a pain in the arse.
    I love triumph of elizabeth

Anyway, a boot sector is 512 bytes and contains all of the code necessary to boot an operating system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Subject: Maths

Fact:

\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{\pi} = \dfrac{2\sqrt{2}}{9801} \sum_{k \geqslant 0} \dfrac{(4k)!}{(k!)^4}\left( \dfrac{26390k + 1103}{396^{4k}} \right)
    Is it sad that I recognise that formula?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.