Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm at uni and I don't drink or really do anything particularly "studenty", and the vast majority of my friends are Muslim here at Leeds! We just tend to go for a coffee or watch a film for fun, meet up for study groups, go to the theatre etc. There's plenty of do that doesn't involve the typical studenty stuff. It is difficult and sometimes I feel ostracised at uni. I'm not religious and I often feel like because I don't really have a "reason" for not drinking, people judge me. But I just ignore them, because they're silly and kind of mean.

But regardless, it's entirely possible to have a really fulfilling time at uni without doing any of that stuff! My friends and I have a great time, and in some accommodations you can request flatmates who don't drink or are actually Muslims.

I will admit that most of my Muslim friends commute because of fears about how difficult uni life would be, which is awful, because uni should be great for everyone. I don't like typical studenty stuff and lived in accommodation last year and have a house this year and am still able to have fun.

Good luck! <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noticemesenpai)
    Hahaha, same here. I prefer watching anime.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/TSRM00sy

Y me too ^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Nope. There's actually a hadith on this

It was narrated that ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Prophet (SAW) said: “Whoever believes in Allaah and the Last Day, let him not sit at a table where wine is being drunk.”

That proves it's the atmosphere as well.
    It's not just because there's alcohol, it's also because free mixing and dancing takes place there.

I'm sure your uni does other good events where you can enjoy yourself?

All 4 schools of thought say the same thing.
    I guess it just depends on the individual.

I said 'your choice' and 'between you and Allah only'.
    Hardly judgemental.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Judgmental or not, I stop listening when anyone starts quoting the Qur'an because they don't agree with me. I have my own life, you have yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asif007)
    Judgmental or not, I stop listening when anyone starts quoting the Qur'an because they don't agree with me. I have my own life, you have yours.
    It's actually hadith

ReputationRep:
    It's actually hadith
    Whatever it is, I don't care. I'm a Muslim just like you but I don't think music is haram. It doesn't concern you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khaar)
    It's not good to turn away from the word of Allah. If you're a Muslim then you should listen and not crawl into a small sound proof shell. I don't mean any offence but this isn't a good characteristic.
    As long as I take care of more important things like family, friends, career and enjoyment - that really doesn't matter to me. Being a good person and being respectable are more important to me than "turning away".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khaar)
    If you're labelling things haram and halal, then yes it concerns Muslims. Islam is not a religion where any Tom, **** and Harry, can say whatever they like and expect to get away with it.
    If you're gonna preach about it then it doesn't concern you either. Not every Muslim leads their life in exactly the same way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khaar)
    The most important thing for a Muslim is to obey Allah. Everything else comes second.
    Let's agree to disagree on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khaar)
    If you say things in public, especially things which may be false, expect to be quoted. There's nothing preachy about it. I'm not sure why you're getting so defensive or why you dislike hearing things like the Qur'an so much, but this attitude will get you nowhere as a Muslim. Has someone, whom you perceive to be religious, been rude to you in real life or something?

And not every Muslim goes to heaven etc. There is a reason why people may give you Qur'an verses and it ain't because they're douches, they may be actually trying to help you.
    What I'm defensive about is other Muslims preaching to me because I do something slightly differently to them. It's got nothing to do with you and it's not your place to imply whether I'm going to heaven or not. I think it's actually a failure of someone to think they're "helping" just by quoting the Qur'an instead of actually debating why someone wants to do the things they do. What happened to free will and a free country?

"This attitude" will get me nowhere as a Muslim? Do you know how patronising that sounds? What are you, the King of Muslims? Yes, someone has been rude to me about religion - you're doing it right now.

Man lies dying in the street, needs urgent medical attention. Muslim man walks over and quotes the Qur'an because he is "trying to help". See how useless that is?

ReputationRep:
    Music is haram. The main scholars have all agreed to this.
    Whether you love it or not doesn't change its ruling.
    Holier than thou isn't a good look.
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable in a madrassa than in a university, a place of curiosity and enquiry? To go to university without experiencing anything other than the library, to have failed to broaden your horizons for fear of the "other", is a sad waste
    Cultural isolationism is pernicious and dangerous, not least to the wider Muslim community. It feeds the suspicions that now, like it or not, attach to conservative - could you say political - Islam.
    Locking yourself in your room and hoping the 21st century Western European culture is somehow going to go away is not an answer to anything - particularly if you live in 21st century Western Europe - because it isn't.
    There must be an accommodation to be had, from both sides - if not, one fears a reckoning. Looking down on 95.5% of the alcohol consuming, music listening, bacon buttie eating population as haram, essentially "unclean", is not a good start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asif007)
    What I'm defensive about is other Muslims preaching to me because I do something slightly differently to them. I think it's actually a failure of someone to think they're "helping" just by quoting the Qur'an instead of actually debating why someone wants to do the things they do. What happened to free will and a free country?

Man lies dying in the street, needs urgent medical attention. Muslim man walks over and quotes the Qur'an because he is "trying to help". See how useless that is?
    You expect us to act all nice and jolly when you're getting hurt over a few words from the Qur'aan + hadith. It's you who needs fixing, if you've come to share your views well expect the same from someone else as well. This is TSR. To be honest you're not even debating, quoting Quraan counts as evidence when a user mentions something.

Lol how does free country relate to this discussion at hand?

Truly sad to see you trying to make a weak comparison. No Muslim would do that instead they'd call the ambulance. You should be a director of a movie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leukocyte)
    You expect us to act all nice and jolly when you're getting hurt over a few words from the Qur'aan + hadith. It's you who needs fixing, if you've come to share your views well expect the same from someone else as well. This is TSR. To be honest you're not even debating, quoting Quraan counts as evidence when a user mentions something.

Lol how does free country relate to this discussion at hand?

Truly sad to see you trying to make a weak comparison. No Muslim would do that instead they'd call the ambulance. You should be a director of a movie.
    And no Muslim should be telling others how to live their lives. Simple. You got a problem with it, tell someone who cares.

ReputationRep:
    None of my Muslim friends drink or smoke, one of them goes to events but doesnt drink. So for me its pretty easy as me and my friends find other ways fr fun( theres sooo many, just depends on your hobbies). Hopefully when u start, theyre will be good Muslims in your year who u can make friends with or make friends with ppl from the ISOC 😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MevMev)
    mate if only i could
    only when the proposals come is when i can halaalify innit
    do you wanna get married now? or after uni? med school is a long 5 years lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    do you wanna get married now? or after uni? med school is a long 5 years lol.
    yeah 5 years is too long mate i guess whenever a good proposal comes i will get married whether thats during education or after it shouldn't matter i don't think

ReputationRep:
    One of my closest friends is Muslim, she looooves Uni and she's having a great time. She stays away from all the Haraam stuff and her friends (who aren't Muslim) are great. Just find a group of people that doesn't drink, you're bound to find one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techfan42)
    I'm currently looking at universities for applications in October, and wanted to ask any practicing muslims who have experienced university, how they cope with the lifestyle of drinking, parties, etc without getting influenced or pressured?
    There will be plenty of awesome and friendly student groups that you can join at uni that have nothing to do with alcohol and partying

When you go to open days, the student union would be worth a visit and try to find the multi-faith chaplaincy - they will have supported plenty of Muslim students with the same concerns as you overtime.

ReputationRep:
    Most people are quite tolerant of Muslim people not drinking. They can comprehend. Religion is ******** in my opinion but you should stay true to yourself. If you wanna stay Halal then stay Halal and dont let anyone influence you :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends had told me this, and it gets you thinking:
    There is no explicit reference that says Alcohol is Haram, its been "haram" because Scholar quranic interpreations have said so. Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination of Satan's handiwork. - but so is tobacco, and so many muslim men don't see tobacco as haram when it causes lung cancer. And alcohol may be an intoxicant but it isn't mentioned here and it doesn't say its haram but discouraged.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Music is haram. The main scholars have all agreed to this.
    Whether you love it or not doesn't change its ruling.
    This haram labeling is getting silly now...

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.