Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RezzBerry)
    Oh no, you're all alone on that one! I thought you meant general anticipation.
    Oh thank god for that. Not that its a good thing. You know what I mean, right? Like, now I know I 'm not the only one :five:

That's nothing to high five about ravioli

Imma go
    :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravioliyears)
    Oh thank god for that. Not that its a good thing. You know what I mean, right? Like, now I know I 'm not the only one :five:

That's nothing to high five about ravioli

Imma go
    :getmecoat:
    Uhh, ehh, okay? :dontknow:
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Oh no? What do you come on here for, then?
    Making friends and chatting to new people.

ReputationRep:
    I have
    I was lying down on my bed and I couldn't tell if I was awake or not, but I felt like I was awake but trapped in a dream. I tried to get up but I couldn't move and I was confused and baffled. A few seconds later I heard a women scream in my kitchen and my heart started beating. I tried to get up to see who it was but my whole body started vibrating, it was like I had pins and needles throughout my whole entire body. A few seconds later I saw a witch like figure floating next to me on my bed and I couldn't move and my body started vibrating even more. It was so weird and scary but then I finally woke up and was able to move again. I didn't know I had sleep paralysis until like a few hours after I woke up.

ReputationRep:
    I usually get sleep paralysis during holidays, when I don't have an alarm to force me awake For me it usually lasts 3-10 minutes and it feels horrible, I can't move anything, it's like my mind wakes up before my body. If I feel anxious when this happens, I rapidly breathe in and out and I might wake up within 3 minutes, but during that time it's really distressing It's just the thought of not being able to move that's frustrating, and also it's that I'm always in an uncomfortable position when this happens (I think I roll on my front, I always sleep on my side) and I feel like I'm not gonna be able to breathe if I don't get up. If I'm more relaxed then it takes 10 minutes for me to fully wake up. There was one time where I felt the presence of some mysterious man near me when I was temporarily paralysed, that was creepy I've easily had sleep paralysis over 100 times, but thankfully it's not that often

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by loveleest)
    I have
    I was lying down on my bed and I couldn't tell if I was awake or not, but I felt like I was awake but trapped in a dream. I tried to get up but I couldn't move and I was confused and baffled. A few seconds later I heard a women scream in my kitchen and my heart started beating. I tried to get up to see who it was but my whole body started vibrating, it was like I had pins and needles throughout my whole entire body. A few seconds later I saw a witch like figure floating next to me on my bed and I couldn't move and my body started vibrating even more. It was so weird and scary but then I finally woke up and was able to move again. I didn't know I had sleep paralysis until like a few hours after I woke up.
    So you thought it was real, at first?

Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by Kamara7)
    I usually get sleep paralysis during holidays, when I don't have an alarm to force me awake For me it usually lasts 3-10 minutes and it feels horrible, I can't move anything, it's like my mind wakes up before my body. If I feel anxious when this happens, I rapidly breathe in and out and I might wake up within 3 minutes, but during that time it's really distressing It's just the thought of not being able to move that's frustrating, and also it's that I'm always in an uncomfortable position when this happens (I think I roll on my front, I always sleep on my side) and I feel like I'm not gonna be able to breathe if I don't get up. If I'm more relaxed then it takes 10 minutes for me to fully wake up. There was one time where I felt the presence of some mysterious man near me when I was temporarily paralysed, that was creepy I've easily had sleep paralysis over 100 times, but thankfully it's not that often

Over 100 times?! That sounds terrible. I think the worst part is not knowing if its a dream or not.

ReputationRep:
    Over 100 times?! That sounds terrible. I think the worst part is not knowing if its a dream or not.
    Thinking out it more, I think 100 times is a better estimate. I guess it varies a lot between people because I always know that it's not a dream, but it sounds worse if you don't know The worst part for me if when I anticipate it and if I don't move within a millisecond I'll just be stuck there :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any experiences with sleep paralysis? I have minor incidents from a few years ago. I would wake up at (exactly) 3 AM, every night, for 2 weeks straight. I was able to move, but wouldn't. I didn't have a phone at this time, so would just close my eyes and try to sleep.

Also, just watched this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx-UxBLOtRI

Would love to hear other stories.

thanks 4 scarying the **** out of me

ITS 10:30PM GOD!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Thinking out it more, I think 100 times is a better estimate. I guess it varies a lot between people because I always know that it's not a dream, but it sounds worse if you don't know The worst part for me if when I anticipate it and if I don't move within a millisecond I'll just be stuck there :indiff:
    I feel you. Has it happened recently?

Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by mariam687)
    thanks 4 scarying the **** out of me

ITS 10:30PM GOD!
    Remember when you're alone and the lights are off. There will be a Jinn in that room, and I know you will remember this comment!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

Remember when you're alone and the lights are off. There will be a Jinn in that room, and I know you will remember this comment!
    omg srs stop scaring me,

legit every1 is asleep, im the only 1 awake!! :/

ReputationRep:
    I think the last time I had it was at Easter, probably at the start of the break. I would say I could prevent it by using an alarm every day, but that ain't gonna happen

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by mariam687)
    omg srs stop scaring me,

legit every1 is asleep, im the only 1 awake!! :/
    I'm sure the Jinns are awake, too.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I think the last time I had it was at Easter, probably at the start of the break. I would say I could prevent it by using an alarm every day, but that ain't gonna happen
    Dude, use the alarm.

ReputationRep:
    I get this every now and then. I've noticed it happens when I'm laying on my back which isn't something I do often, unless I'm tired of sleeping on the side.

So what it feels like for me... something is pushing on you, becomes hard to breathe and you hear weird noises (I'm not even going to try to explain it because it's so difficult to). You can't even move a finger no mater how hard you try to. Suffocating almost. You can understand what is around you and sense everything, including that weight pushing on your body. Oh and you sweat a lot during those few minutes. I never open my eyes fully, I'll explain why in a mo.

I've become so used to it that when it happens I manage to fall back asleep. During the moment you think you're going to die though.

I've had this all my life, can't remember the first time I had it tbh.

STORY:My uncle told me the scariest sleep paralysis experience. So he also was laying on his back and he could feel that same pressure on his chest. He found it really difficult to breathe too. He was brave enough to open his eyes fully and he saw some ghost like figure sitting on him with long black hair wearing white clothes asdfghjkl. Yeah so I refused to listen to the rest of the story.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the Jinns are awake, too.

Dude, use the alarm.

stahpppppp !!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by undercxver)
    I get this every now and then. I've noticed it happens when I'm laying on my back which isn't something I do often, unless I'm tired of sleeping on the side.

So what it feels like for me... something is pushing on you, becomes hard to breathe and you hear weird noises (I'm not even going to try to explain it because it's so difficult to). You can't even move a finger no mater how hard you try to. Suffocating almost. You can understand what is around you and sense everything, including that weight pushing on your body. Oh and you sweat a lot during those few minutes. I never open my eyes fully, I'll explain why in a mo.

I've become so used to it that when it happens I manage to fall back asleep. During the moment you think you're going to die though.

STORY:My uncle told me the scariest sleep paralysis experience. So he also was laying on his back and he could feel that same pressure on his chest. He found it really difficult to breathe too. He was brave enough to open his eyes fully and he saw some ghost like figure sitting on him with long black hair wearing white clothes asdfghjkl. Yeah so I refused to listen to the rest of the story.

I wonder why your sleeping position would affect the frequency (and strength) of sleep paralysis. :sleep:

Also, your uncles story is so kd3aowdkawpodkaopw2dakwpo1d.

(PS: The black figure sitting on my chest starting spamming my keyboard, sorry!)

ReputationRep:
    I wonder why your sleeping position would affect the frequency (and strength) of sleep paralysis. :sleep:

Also, your uncles story is so kd3aowdkawpodkaopw2dakwpo1d.

(PS: The black figure sitting on my chest starting spamming my keyboard, sorry!)
    I just realised you're Muslim? Apparently this does have a link with jinns or something. :afraid:

Lmaoooo :rofl: My tip: Never sleep on your back, but on your side, preferably on your right.

How often do you have sleep paralysis?

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I just realised you're Muslim? Apparently this does have a link with jinns or something. :afraid:

Lmaoooo :rofl: My tip: Never sleep on your back, but on your side, preferably on your right.

How often do you have sleep paralysis?

Apparently so. I usually try to explain it, logically, first.

Bu- But that's not manly!

Not very often. You?

ReputationRep:

Yep, defo not going to sleep tonight.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's probably the worst feeling in the world. Can't remember the last time I was **** scared.

It's happened luckily only a few times. But the first experience, I can remember that I was awake, yet I couldn't open my eyes. No matter how hard I tried to open my eyes, I just couldn't do it. I could hear weird voices/screaming around me, and felt a huge weight me. In my mind I could see shadowy figures around me forming like a circle shape. I remember I was sweating so much that I could feel the sweat drop from my nose legit. Bruh, I NEVER want to experience that again.

ReputationRep:
    Runs in my whole family. Had it several times myself but nowhere near the amount of times my mum and grandma have had it. Pretty scary, sometimes it gets so bad my mum is unable to sleep all night.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 28, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.