Muslim girl in warwick accommodation

University Navigation

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onica)
    I really don't know what I will do in August for accommodation. I emailed them but they said that they can't gurantee even on religious grounds because the uni is diverse and didn't give me any info on on the places that have single-sex. Do you know which places do?? Did you get any confirmation after you applied??

Thank you sis.
    Jazak'Allah
    Have you looked into private accommodation? I know you would probably prefer university halls for first year but it's worth considering private accommodation if the university can't provide you with what you want.

ReputationRep:
    I am hopeful we get in accommodation according to our preferences as i came to know from current students, that university specially takes care for accomdation needs of international students (me being an international student from UAE). Yes i got confirmation on June 8 itself applied on June 7.
    Lakeside, Heronbank and Tocil i am sure of. Others i cannot confirm, never asked any current student yet.
    And i am sure their would be other muslims and even non muslims applying in for single sex area too. As all don't like the mix accommodation. One close friend of mine has also mentioned for single sex area, though she is not a muslim even, and her preference was lakeside even.
    Lets hope we get so, and wait on. Dont worry, lets pray the ultimate solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    I guess so. Still think it's weird how Islam acts as if it's a sin for both sexes to interact with each other though.
    :dontknow:
    Yeah, I don't agree with that either. Interaction is natural.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellia T)
    I am hopeful we get in accommodation according to our preferences as i came to know from current students, that university specially takes care for accomdation needs of international students (me being an international student from UAE). Yes i got confirmation on June 8 itself applied on June 7.
    Lakeside, Heronbank and Tocil i am sure of. Others i cannot confirm, never asked any current student yet.
    And i am sure their would be other muslims and even non muslims applying in for single sex area too. As all don't like the mix accommodation. One close friend of mine has also mentioned for single sex area, though she is not a muslim even, and her preference was lakeside even.
    Lets hope we get so, and wait on. Dont worry, lets pray the ultimate solution.
    I'm not an international student but from the UK. But yes, I hope they do give us our preference. Insha'Allah they do. I mean first I need to get my grades, but if I do get in and of we all get the preference then it will be nice to see you there

Did they specify if the halls were single-sex when you got confirmation? So Lakeside , Tocil and Herobank definitely same- sex and did it specify this in the email??

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legendary Quest)
    Have you looked into private accommodation? I know you would probably prefer university halls for first year but it's worth considering private accommodation if the university can't provide you with what you want.
    Should I look for private accommodation now? I don't know how to as I've never privately rented before. But thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onica)
    I'm not an international student but from the UK. But yes, I hope they do give us our preference. Insha'Allah they do. I mean first I need to get my grades, but if I do get in and of we all get the preference then it will be nice to see you there

Did they specify if the halls were single-sex when you got confirmation? So Lakeside , Tocil and Herobank definitely same- sex and did it specify this in the email??

Thank you
    Best of luck with your grades, same here. The confirmation email is mentioned below:
    Your application for accommodation for 2016-2017 at The University of Warwick has been received.Information regarding your accommodation will be emailed to you in August-September.
    And a copy of what i submitted in form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onica)
    Should I look for private accommodation now? I don't know how to as I've never privately rented before. But thanks.
    Hi, I'm in the same situation as you. A few people have mentioned that they've applied for single sex with lakeside as their first preference, which is what I'm putting down as well, so hopefully, they could group us all in a room as we all share the same preferences? If there are enough people, I don't see why not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onica)
    Well we can interact talk if necessary, I mean in class I might need some notes so of course I'll have to interact or if I'm working in a group. But becoming too friendly can lead to like close relationships like a boyfriend girlfriend relationships which is not acceptable and therefore it's best not to get too friendly. It's just best to protect ones modesty.
    You don't have to explain or justify yourself, don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    Recently I discussed about accommodation with a current muslim girl, studying at warwick, she mentioned, warwick does say they have a single sex area, but in reality it is not their, only sometimes they do have when they have a majority of students with same request. And regarding online accommodation applications it just like an automated system, they simply alot and send an email, which we have to accept in 7 days mostly. Until and unless we reach on campus, we wont be able to know about our nearby room mates.

Although if we are not satisfied after 3 weeks, Warwick does allow to shift on campus, if we get our choice of room. She also suggested to look out for homes/ ensuites in canley area, near cannon shopping center as its the most safest and near to Warwick even.

Hope so we get our choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm3allem)
    Hi, I'm in the same situation as you. A few people have mentioned that they've applied for single sex with lakeside as their first preference, which is what I'm putting down as well, so hopefully, they could group us all in a room as we all share the same preferences? If there are enough people, I don't see why not.
    Hi,

Yeah, that's what I've done. After much deliberation, I've come to a decision! As the application is not first come, first serve, I've taken my time and my order of preference:

Heronbank
    Lakeside
    Redfern
    Tocil
    Claycroft

The halls that I decided were used from last year's table which explicitly stated if they were single -sex and the ones that I have chosen are all single- sex from last years table. I don't think they should change this year, however, there may just be minor changes.

I put the en-suite as my first and second preference in case we're not allocated to single-sex, at least we don't have to share the bathroom. I put Lakeside as second, but I guess most will put that as their first. However, I put a tick on the option that stated 'would you like single- sex" and "would you a accept mixed accommodation if not available through your preference" which I put 'no'. Let's just hope we all get allocated to them. I however don't think I'll get the grades for Warwick anyway after my exams and feel I might miss it by a grade. We'll just have to wait and see, and if all goes well, it will be nice to see you all there!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i am a muslim girl too, joining warwick this september, I have found a house which is renting to girls only so if you are still interested please let me know and I will pass on the landlord number to you. If you know any other girls also looking, i will be happy to help.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Thanks for letting us now, kindly send a private message with contact details of landlord, also if you could mention the area where house is. Thanks
    And also if anyone is getting on campus or off campus university managed accommodation allotted. Do keep us updated.

(Original post by mana.sid)
    Hi, i am a muslim girl too, joining warwick this september, I have found a house which is renting to girls only so if you are still interested please let me know and I will pass on the landlord number to you. If you know any other girls also looking, i will be happy to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mana.sid)

Hi could you send me the details please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onica)
    Hi,

Yeah, that's what I've done. After much deliberation, I've come to a decision! As the application is not first come, first serve, I've taken my time and my order of preference:

Heronbank
    Lakeside
    Redfern
    Tocil
    Claycroft

The halls that I decided were used from last year's table which explicitly stated if they were single -sex and the ones that I have chosen are all single- sex from last years table. I don't think they should change this year, however, there may just be minor changes.

I put the en-suite as my first and second preference in case we're not allocated to single-sex, at least we don't have to share the bathroom. I put Lakeside as second, but I guess most will put that as their first. However, I put a tick on the option that stated 'would you like single- sex" and "would you a accept mixed accommodation if not available through your preference" which I put 'no'. Let's just hope we all get allocated to them. I however don't think I'll get the grades for Warwick anyway after my exams and feel I might miss it by a grade. We'll just have to wait and see, and if all goes well, it will be nice to see you all there!
    My one was very similar. Which one did you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm3allem)
    My one was very similar. Which one did you get?
    I got my first choice, Heronbank. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warwickacchelp)
    I am a Muslim girl who will be moving to Warwick to study English Literature in semptember 2016.

I know that Warwick do not have single sex flats, (not very clear on the website) but was hoping for some advice on which campus to apply for.

I do not wish to apply for Bluebell and the likes of that as it is quite expensive. So I was wondering are there any Muslim students (mainly female) living in Warwick. If so, which campus would you recommend me that has the least amount of boys in it (lol!)
    Hey, did you receive your accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silky91)
    I was wondering the same thing! Let me know where you guys apply btw does anyone know if there are many British Asians at Warwick?
    Hey I'm Pakistani british studying psychology this year, I've heard there's alot, but I havent come across many, getting worried about making friends, want a mix but I'm still worried

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.