Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Neighbours killed my rabbit Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaMandarine)
    I'm really sorry.
    I would, like somebody else mentioned, report this to 111.
    If you had documents for that rabbit, it is your property so, I quote, "owners enjoy the right of legal protection and recourse if their pet is stolen or wilfully hurt or injured"
    If you have any witnesses in this case, that would also help.
    Like somebody else said, I would go back to them and record them. I'd personally do this:
    Because you can't ask them again the same question without raising any doubt, just go to them saying where the fence was open "to fix it". When you're there ask where the rabbit made damage, and just casually ask where did they put the poison; because they're unaware of what you're doing, they will tell you and you can go with that recording to the police.

Like somebody else said, this will not get your rabbit back, but it will cause some degree of damage to your neighbours. In the same way your rabbit couldn't mess with their flowers, they can't mess with you.

4 years a go, in my neighbourhood a ******* brutally killed a stray puppy that kept coming around our block howling. I had just come from a holiday with my parents (otherwise I would have sheltered it and sent it to adoption), when we saw the puppy with its skull crushed in the middle of the parkway. I went straight to a couple of my friends, who knew what happened, and the luck struck me that I had my ipod and the son of a **** was just coming out of the block. I immediately put my ipod on record as I heard him mumbling, and after overhearing us he said "yes, I killed that ******* with my car. He was sleeping under my wheel and I got in the car and turned it around, and so nice was his last weak squeal". After hearing that, I went to his car and blood was still on the wheels. I took a picture with his car, and persuaded a couple of neighbours to go to the police with me. He got 6 months in prison for wilfully killing an animal.
    Call 101...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    FYI folks, 111 is the number for NHS Direct, non emergency medical help.

101 is the number for police.

And whatever you do, don't ring 112.
    Oh, sorry. I didn't know and just copied from another poster, I'll correct it now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    FYI folks, 111 is the number for NHS Direct, non emergency medical help.

101 is the number for police.

And whatever you do, don't ring 112.
    Sorry, my bad, I knew it was 1-something-1.

What the hell is at 112? 👀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CCC75)
    Sorry, my bad, I knew it was 1-something-1.

What the hell is at 112? 👀
    112 is the EU standard for emergency services. In the UK, dialling 112 is the same as dialling 999. Apparently 911 goes through to emergency services too, unless you have an american phone, in which case it actually goes through from the UK to US emergency services, who probably get pissed off at you and tell you to go dial 999 instead :P

ReputationRep:
    It's really terrible. If u sure that they poison your pet intentionally, then report it to police. They deserve some punishment.

ReputationRep:
    Leave some brownies next to their flowers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poldark00)
    My rabbit Mittens was killed last week. He vomited in the evening after coming back from the garden, then about 9pm in his cage he started convulsing and fitting. I didn't know what to do, the vet was closed, so I just brought him onto my lap. I know in terms of humans you should never try to restrain someone fitting, so I just kept stroking him. Eventually he stopped, and slowly stopped breathing. Tried CPR to no avail.

I've been feeling really guilty. Had I known he was dying, I really should have put him out of his misery when it started. I can't get the images of him suffering like that out of my mind.

Yesterday, my neighbours told me that a few days before, he'd got under the fence and they'd seen him eat some of their flowers, so they laid down baited rodent poison where he came through. I would have happily put down wire mesh under the earth to keep him in our garden, but the fact that they didn't even come to us says to me that they just wanted him dead.
    I'm really sorry this happened to you; it's an awful thing to have a dearly beloved pet die in your arms, no pet owner should be put through this horrible situation.

Your neighbours are evil people; what they did is illegal and would constitute as cruelty to animals. Contact your local police and tell them what happened. I apologise if this has already been said. Telling the police won't bring your rabbit back but at least you could get justice for him :'(

I'm sorry for your loss; please try not to blame yourself for what happened to your rabbit. It could happen to anyone; your neighbours are at fault here; they should have at least told you before laying down poison.

I hope you get justice.

:console:

ReputationRep:
    Poor Mittens

Did you call the police today?

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to the police today. The conversation lasted less than two minutes.

The gist of it is, that my neighbours used a legally approved poison, for what was legally a pest (an animal nuisance), on their own property.

I went to them because something horrible had happened to us and I wanted to be able to count on the police to see it right. But they seem to think that I'm some evil nuisance underground animal dealer and they can't seem to understand the real reason I spoke to them in the first place.

All faith in our police force = gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poldark00)
    I spoke to the police today. The conversation lasted less than two minutes.

The gist of it is, that my neighbours used a legally approved poison, for what was legally a pest (an animal nuisance), on their own property.

I went to them because something horrible had happened to us and I wanted to be able to count on the police to see it right. But they seem to think that I'm some evil nuisance underground animal dealer and they can't seem to understand the real reason I spoke to them in the first place.

All faith in our police force = gone.
    That officer sounds like a punk. He could have delivered that information in a more palatable and sensitive way.

Now a legally approved bleach should be used to sanitise the soil from which those protected flowers grow. You will have no knowledge of who could have done such a thing though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venusian Visitor)
    Killing mice is not a crime but killing rabbits is? One law for the cute another for the not so cute.
    One is property, the other is vermin.
    The law doesn't care about animal life so much, but is there to protect the individual's property (and feelings to an extent)

ReputationRep:
    Salt their soil.

Or throw a brick through their window.

ReputationRep:
    You won't get anywhere through legal measures. Revenge is totally suitable, but you gotta find petty, ( and untraceable if possible) ways of doing it. I'd be very pissed.

- Right, vinegar kills grass. Wait until night, and get as much of it as possible over the fence - more effective, even on plants if you mix in salt.
    - If you know the right people, pay to have bricks through the window, their house egged, etc. Don't do it yourself.
    - Expect retaliation. Have cameras up ready and catch 'em at it.
    - Get the lawnmower out at the most pointless times or morning and night, for no particular reason.
    - Arrange a noisy drunken BBQ in the evening.
    - Sign them up for free leaflets and advertising where-ever you can find them.
    Uh, yeah. Oh, who's fence is it? If the fence belongs to them, make sure it keeps getting damaged.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.