The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Losing patience with some mental illness

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Anonymous
Never said I had no sympathy for those with depression and anxiety?

Your friend has anxiety and you've no sympathy. Anxiety is a common diagnosis. You said you've lost patience with some mental illness so exactly what mental illnesses do you have patience for?
Reply 41
Original post by Anonymous

Why did you assume I was referring to the latter and not the former then???

The entire point of my thread was that some people who experience mild mental health issues do not put any effort into getting better. And I specifically said the sub-clinical individuals who have the perfect capacity to put the required effort in but still chose not to?

Why do you appear to be reading completely different things to what you and others wrote.

1. You're not talking about the former at all. You've specifically mentioned people seeking help. Therefore they fall under there being therapeutic value to try and engage in therapy. Even if they cannot make the changes yet, they want help and so the therapeutic outcome is more positive.

2. When someone doesn't want help that doesn't mean rejection or they don't deserve it. It simply means that we shouldn't force therapeutic intervention unless the risk is such that a section would be applicable.

So my words didn't prove anything different to what I have already said. I treat both types with the same compassion and I respect them enough to give them autonomy. Which is a founding principle of the professional bodies I am a member of.
Original post by ~Tara~
im not sure how you validating my point that you should know how to apply theory really means that I'm the confused/confusing one.

And just to throw it in..you can get a Bsc in counselling. So basically you've now proven none of your arguments have any standing at all. I'm sure this will be a confusing time for you too.

What are you on about?

You said that basically psychology is about applying theory to reality and "reality to theory". That is the scientific process? Not just psychology? So I don't see how you can use that process to explain why psychology is a common sense discipline? Or not a science?

I take your criticisms of me being judgemental and lacking in empathy, that is fair enough. But I really have no idea what you're trying to get at here.
And I don't think you yourself do.

And well yes? Obviously counselling is an academic field as well considering its evidence based? I didn't say it wasn't?
Original post by ~Tara~
Why do you appear to be reading completely different things to what you and others wrote.

1. You're not talking about the former at all. You've specifically mentioned people seeking help. Therefore they fall under there being therapeutic value to try and engage in therapy. Even if they cannot make the changes yet, they want help and so the therapeutic outcome is more positive.

2. When someone doesn't want help that doesn't mean rejection or they don't deserve it. It simply means that we shouldn't force therapeutic intervention unless the risk is such that a section would be applicable.

So my words didn't prove anything different to what I have already said. I treat both types with the same compassion and I respect them enough to give them autonomy. Which is a founding principle of the professional bodies I am a member of.

How did I specifically say those who seek help? Here is a direct quote from my original post...

"And they never seek help, they would just prefer to constantly bring others down with them".

I'm explicitly referring to those who do not seek help. You are imagining things that aren't there. Try comprehending what you read.
I think this thread has been as useful as it can be now. You've heard people's opinion on it OP, thread locked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest