The Student Room Group

Wjec media as predictions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lillz563
perhaps issues?

Yeah my teacher suspects either issues or gender.

Personally I'd rather get gender or ethnicity because with issues I don't really get what's going on... Any tips anyone?
Original post by easton_j98
Yeah my teacher suspects either issues or gender.

Personally I'd rather get gender or ethnicity because with issues I don't really get what's going on... Any tips anyone?

You can use your examples on ethnicity and link it to racism as an issue. That's what I'm doing
Original post by shannontlewis
I think she is right because she's been teaching media for years and years and she's never been wrong about exam predictions apparently. Issues is still most most likely! So if you're confident talking about gender, bring in the position of women in the media as an issue 😊 You can say anything is an issue if you word it right!!

So true, I pray it's issues! Good luck btw!
Reply 43
If we get gender, should we talk about the representation of both male and female or can we just choose one?
Reply 44
Original post by vp38
If we get gender, should we talk about the representation of both male and female or can we just choose one?

We've been told you can talk about only the one across the examples. But if you talked about a range of genders it gives you more to talk about, also you can compare and contrast how different genders are represented then.
Original post by vp38

You will need to do both if the title just says gender, if you want to make a decent grade.
We have barely covered real events so god forbid if that comes up. What exactly do you write about when comparing how 2 events are represented in media? Often even if they're by 2 contrasting newspapers for example there's barely any differences . It's so hard to write a lot about
Could someone be nice and give me some good examples and notes of different events examples that they've got please? Would appreciate it
Original post by zoeemmacfc
We have barely covered real events so god forbid if that comes up. What exactly do you write about when comparing how 2 events are represented in media? Often even if they're by 2 contrasting newspapers for example there's barely any differences . It's so hard to write a lot about

I did an events question and got an A on it what I did was: named 2 events and stated how different texts represent them differently in my intro. Then I wrote about the US election and compared tabloids to broadsheet newspapers. Back up with a media theory then add an ending sentence to link back to question.
Move on to another event and use the same format: describe event-give 2 different texts on how they showed it- media theory( literally just a sentence)- link paragraph to question
Do that and you should get full marks
My teacher predicts either issues or events too, I hope it isn't events. I just don't understand how you can write a 30 mark paragraph on events. I was barely explained anything to do with events and find it so difficult. But from the little I did, I focused mainly on 'Deaths of iconic celebrities' (david bowie) and also 'Terrorist attacks' so Paris.
Original post by lydiaellis
My teacher predicts either issues or events too, I hope it isn't events. I just don't understand how you can write a 30 mark paragraph on events. I was barely explained anything to do with events and find it so difficult. But from the little I did, I focused mainly on 'Deaths of iconic celebrities' (david bowie) and also 'Terrorist attacks' so Paris.

My thoughts are exactly the same. We did so little on events, I honestly wouldn't know what to write to even get 15 marks let alone 30. I did Paris too but I don't know how much you're supposed to write for each
I did an events question and got an A on it what I did was: named 2 events and stated how different texts represent them differently in my intro. Then I wrote about the US election and compared tabloids to broadsheet newspapers. Back up with a media theory then add an ending sentence to link back to question.
Move on to another event and use the same format: describe event-give 2 different texts on how they showed it- media theory( literally just a sentence)- link paragraph to question

Was the question you did this for 2c or 3?

Ohh! Thank you! Roughly how much did you write for each?
Original post by joekent98
Was the question you did this for 2c or 3?

Question 3
Original post by zoeemmacfc
Ohh! Thank you! Roughly how much did you write for each?

I wrote a little under 2 and a half sides of notebook paper. You don't have to write too much as long as you make sophisticated points and structure it well
Anyone any tips for this exam? I'm repeating. My teacher gave us all essays to learn last year and we all got E's in the exam

can you give me some examples of media theories you could talk about for events? :smile: it would be much appreciated!
Original post by elegances
can you give me some examples of media theories you could talk about for events? :smile: it would be much appreciated!

If you talk about Paris attacks or any other terrorist attack always use Alvarados racial stereotypes theory.
If you're talking about an event that showed women negatively (which I'm planning to do) use Mulverys male gaze theory.
Those are the 2 I'm using.
Could always throw in your usual Uses and Gratification theory in any event if you're stuck or in a rush-- are they showing the event to be informative, to bring out emotion or for entertainment? Then say how with a little example from the text you're referring to
Hello! It has also come to my attention that events/issues is the type of representation that is most likely to come up. In my class, we looked at the events of Christmas and The Death of Aylan Kurdi (the kid who washed up on the beach in September). With Christmas, we looked at a Coca Cola advert and how this was positive and then we looked at a Shelter advert which gave a negative representation of Christmas. For the Death, we looked at the front cover of The Sun and how this was negative and also a broadcast from Channel 4 which was more positive. With issues, we used the Death as an issue for immigration with the same two texts and then looked at disability in the media. With disability, we looked at the trailer for the paralympics and the trailer for The Theory of Everything and how these portrayed disability in different ways! Don't know if this helps anyone but there you go!
Pls help me exam tomorrow what do i talk about if events and issues come up what do i talk about

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending