Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The cringest thing just happened to me! I CANNOT STOP CRINGING HELP! watch

ReputationRep:
    Nothing comparable to when I got caught trying to steal Pokemon cards in the supermarket.

ReputationRep:
    Situations like that are only awkward if you make them awkward. You should have just laughed with them and then moved on by asking a question or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Nothing comparable to when I got caught trying to steal Pokemon cards in the supermarket.
    Tell us the story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Were you 27?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Were you 27?
    It happened last week.

Spoiler:
    Show
    It was almost 20 years ago, but I still cringe at it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Act like it never happened :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Awkward :lol:

I've done worse though! Poured a jug of water over a guest's lap because I was so tired xD On the bright side I was relieved of any guest entertaining duties for a while

ReputationRep:
    Not as embarrasing as being found lying down in a toliet cubicle
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    It will be fine, they can just comment on it every time she comes over. better hope she isnt big on social media.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I've done the worst cringe-inducing thing ever a few times (never learn smh) and it is so bad that I can never ever tell anyone.

But I will tell you of a time we did a psychology mock in class (GCSE) and the teacher emphasised that everyone should have a calculator. I didn't have mine, and when it got to the questions which 'required' a calculator (I was the last one to finish - time management ) I automatically put my hand up and asked for a calculator... I was really quite insistent upon it and it caused a lot of commotion, with someone ending up giving me their calculator. So then it came down to me to read/do the question. I finally read it through and froze, I stopped breathing for a bit. It was the most simple addition question in the world and I was adamant that I needed a calculator, the whole class heard and they were staring at me so badly. I immediately went SO red and nearly cried.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I was one of the best at maths in my school though, I am not that bad, I just didn't read the question beforehand. So it's not that bad, at least you didn't have like 20+ people judging you

ReputationRep:
    I slept through dinner so I went downstairs to make some toast, upon arriving downstairs I realised my mum's friend was over. My mum always complains how I don't greet people properly so I said

"Sat sri akal" to her (Hello in punjabi)

her back was turned towards me and for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to hug her, so I walked towards her like I was going to rob her or something, she obviously didn't turn around (she was cooking something on the stove)...so then I realised she wasn't going to hug me back...and my mum was watching so I just stood there a few steps behind her like a knob.

Then my mum said "she was trying to hug you" to her in punjabi

and then they both laughed at me

Now I'm really embarrassed, how do I get over how much of an embarrassment I am?
    Do you know your mums friend very well? Why on earth would you try and hug a stranger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Do you know your mums friend very well? Why on earth would you try and hug a stranger?
    It's a cultural thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Not as embarrasing as being found lying down in a toliet cubicle
    Oh no!

ReputationRep:
    It's a cultural thing
    Don't Indian people have the concept of personal space aswell or is it just white peeps?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    That's really not so cringey.

I had a moment a couple of weeks ago that made me want the ground to swallow me up.

ReputationRep:
    Don't Indian people have the concept of personal space aswell or is it just white peeps?
    I'll leave it up to you to figure that out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    That's really not so cringey.

I had a moment a couple of weeks ago that made me want the ground to swallow me up.
    What happened?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    What happened?

Well I'm an author, and I was signing books at a convention - it was about 3 and a half weeks ago.

Picture the scene :

This guys comes to my table. I'd seen him wandering about with the organiser so assumed he was one of the helpers at the convention.

We have a little chat, he asks to buy the books, and I sign them for him.

All fine and dandy? No. Not fine and dandy. For some reason although I hadn't asked this guy his name, I thought his name was Andy. I don't know why. The organiser was called Andy so I guess his name was just floating around in my head.

So I sign these books to Andy, and hand them over. He then asks me my name, and I tell him, and he responds telling me his name is Michael.

I nearly died. I had to ask for the books back and admit that I'd signed them all "To Andy". He thought I was joking, he really did, until he realised I was deadly serious and embarrassed as hell.

I really think he thought I was the most special snowflake he'd met in quite a while.

Anyway he eventually got books signed "To Michael", but it was quite a mortifying situation. This situation became all the more horrendous when it turns out he was actually an actor from Game of Thrones and one of the special guests.

To be fair I was tired and had a lot on my mind, but still, I'm glad I was wearing foundation because I'm quite sure I turned pillar-box red under my makeup.

Cringeworthy situation is the understatement of the year

ReputationRep:
    I once put cat litter in the cat food tray, and cat food in the washing machine! lol ffs!??!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    Well I'm an author, and I was signing books at a convention - it was about 3 and a half weeks ago.

Picture the scene :

This guys comes to my table. I'd seen him wandering about with the organiser so assumed he was one of the helpers at the convention.

We have a little chat, he asks to buy the books, and I sign them for him.

All fine and dandy? No. Not fine and dandy. For some reason although I hadn't asked this guy his name, I thought his name was Andy. I don't know why. The organiser was called Andy so I guess his name was just floating around in my head.

So I sign these books to Andy, and hand them over. He then asks me my name, and I tell him, and he responds telling me his name is Michael.

I nearly died. I had to ask for the books back and admit that I'd signed them all "To Andy". He thought I was joking, he really did, until he realised I was deadly serious and embarrassed as hell.

I really think he thought I was the most special snowflake he'd met in quite a while.

Anyway he eventually got books signed "To Michael", but it was quite a mortifying situation. This situation became all the more horrendous when it turns out he was actually an actor from Game of Thrones and one of the special guests.

To be fair I was tired and had a lot on my mind, but still, I'm glad I was wearing foundation because I'm quite sure I turned pillar-box red under my makeup.

Cringeworthy situation is the understatement of the year
    An honest mistake anyone could make; but I could see why you would be embarrassed by that. If you don't watch GoT how would you know who he was otherwise?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 26, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.