Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As others have said the left right distinction is generally meaningless.

I'm an extreme pro EU social liberal and I am fundamentally opposed to religion, particularly abhramic ones . I think there are global universal 'rights' that should be protected regardless of 'sovereignty'.

Two people who I agree the most with are Yaris Varoufakis and Christopher Hitchens

Two people who I disagree the most with are George Galloway and Peter Hitchens.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Davij038)

I'm an extreme pro EU social liberal and I am fundamentally opposed to religion, particularly abhramic ones . I think there are global universal 'rights' that should be protected regardless of 'sovereignty'.

Two people who I agree the most with are Yaris Varoufakis and Christopher Hitchens

I'm not so sure about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Right not too far but somewhere around ukip level
    ewww go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polpop)
    ewww go

Please explain what you dislike about this.

ReputationRep:
    Classical (some would say neo) liberal.

Freedom for individuals and the market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I'm not so sure about that.
    Only when encompassing things in terms of pure economics does it carry any real point.

For instance: David Cameron, Donald Trump and Douglas Carswell can all be labelled right wing - despite having hugely different ideas.

ReputationRep:
    Centre right libertarian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenC1997)
    Classical (some would say neo) liberal.

Freedom for individuals and the market.
    Where do you draw the limit between the market and the state? Do you want a so called 'night watchmen state' ?

ReputationRep:
    https://www.politicalcompass.org/ana...-2.5&soc=-7.03

ReputationRep:

:yy::yy::yy::yy::yy::yy::yy::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Where do you draw the limit between the market and the state? Do you want a so called 'night watchmen state' ?
    I'm not entirely sure how sustainable such a state wouldd be, but as close as possible, yes.

I'm not against all government intervention, it should just be limited as much as possible. The state should offer key services, education, health that anyone may access etc but should allow more room than currently for competition and choice in these areas. I am also in further of further deregulation, I believe governments are generally poor economic mangers and that the market, again generally, suffices in meeting the needs of consumers.

I also believe the state should scale back it's intervention in people's lives, in our civil liberties. For example, I am firmly against policies such as the Snoopers' Charter and others of that ilk.

Apologies for that late reply, I unexpectedly became engaged in an education debate, my tiredness may affect the quality and sense of my answer.

ReputationRep:
    Left-wing, but not Far-Left.

Nearly everything about the Right repels me; too much hatred and selfishness. There is a superiority complex in most of their ideologies too, and I'm not referring to the Centre-Right (not really a fan of them either though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Reasonably Left-Wing about most things, but not an apologist.
    Considering there are many centre left applogists around and pro Islam supporters, it's to be expected of the general left too. Left and Islam are one of the same thing these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omen96)
    Considering there are many centre left applogists around and pro Islam supporters, it's to be expected of the general left too. Left and Islam are one of the same thing these days.
    And many Right-wingers are apologists for racism, sexism, homophobia and various other forms of bigotry. The Left and Islam are one of the same? LOL it's not like one can ever expect you to provide evidence to support your statements.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Conservative, so centre-right
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    Left-wing, but not Far-Left.

Nearly everything about the Right repels me; too much hatred and selfishness. There is a superiority complex in most of their ideologies too, and I'm not referring to the Centre-Right (not really a fan of them either though).
    I completely agree.

ReputationRep:
    My vote is with Labour, but if I'm being honest, the whole political system is seriously damaged at the moment. I completely disagree with the Conservatives' policies, however I don't like Corbyn's view on some issues (like migration), but I agree on most of his terms like the mansion tax. Left Wing!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.