Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Let's list countries that say they would look forward to trading with post-Brexit UK. Watch

• Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by infairverona)
    Maybe, but there are many claims from both sides that are just scaremongering or have little substance to it. As long as we have a relatively equal level of trade as we do now I don't think it's going to have much impact on us day to day
    There will be a short term shock and then we simply dont know. It will be more expensive to trade with Europe becayse we will have two systems to comply with. Ywo sets of regylations and more checks means more expense.

What happens in the long term we just dont know, though and businesses prefer certainty. Unless we negotiate it, then we lose the advantage of being in the single market which will lead to many businesses relocating. If we accept the single market, then its most likely we will have to accept the free movement of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    Seeing as there seems to be a predominance in foreign countries urging us to remain, they don't seem to find Brexit a terribly attractive scenario...
    I mean when you have it really good and are getting handouts and excellent trading deal, why on earth would you say anything to the contrary?

ReputationRep:
    I'm voting Leave but I agree we don't really know what 'Leave' means at the moment. However I don't think nerves are a strong reason to vote Remain, because I imagine there must have been nerves and uncertainty when we first entered the EU and that didn't stop us
    Oh absolutely, but then, there was a clear tempting reason - access to the Single Market - that made that risk and disturbance worth enduring. Nothing of that kind now for leaving, it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    I mean when you have it really good and are getting handouts and excellent trading deal, why on earth would you say anything to the contrary?
    I don't follow?

ReputationRep:
    Oh absolutely, but then, there was a clear tempting reason - access to the Single Market - that made that risk and disturbance worth enduring. Nothing of that kind now for leaving, it seems.
    Well obviously those of us voting Leave do very much think there are clear and tempting reasons to Leave, despite it being uncertain. I think if we do leave it will be rocky for a while and probably years of incessant whining from the loud left, blaming the Brexit for pretty much anything that subsequently goes the way they don't want it to, but that doesn't put me off voting to leave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheetahCurtis)
    No one cares.
    Don't post if you have nothing viable to contribute idiot

ReputationRep:
    I don't follow?
    If you benefit from someone being in something or apart of something, you are not going to want them to leave

Just because its in Americas or Hungaries interests to have us in the EU doesnt mean its in OUR interests...Then you question why its in their interests

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously those of us voting Leave do very much think there are clear and tempting reasons to Leave, despite it being uncertain. I think if we do leave it will be rocky for a while and probably years of incessant whining from the loud left, blaming the Brexit for pretty much anything that subsequently goes the way they don't want it to, but that doesn't put me off voting to leave
    Hah, I can actually believe that, too.

And conversely, if we vote to Remain, there will be people blaming the EU for things that can't be helped (like they do now).

I'm glad to have chatted with a reasonable and thoughtful person from the Leave campaign

ReputationRep:
    If you benefit from someone being in something or apart of something, you are not going to want them to leave

Just because its in Americas or Hungaries interests to have us in the EU doesnt mean its in OUR interests...Then you question why its in their interests
    But that assumes it's all zero-sum games. If it's in their interests, there's a high chance it's also in ours. If you go into every decision with that attitude, you'll make very dangerous assumptions.

ReputationRep:
    Hah, I can actually believe that, too.

And conversely, if we vote to Remain, there will be people blaming the EU for things that can't be helped (like they do now).

I'm glad to have chatted with a reasonable and thoughtful person from the Leave campaign
    Oh absolutely. I think both sides are extremely over the top. That's the nature of politics I guess

ReputationRep:
    But that assumes it's all zero-sum games. If it's in their interests, there's a high chance it's also in ours. If you go into every decision with that attitude, you'll make very dangerous assumptions.
    I didnt make any assumptions, its you who is doing so "If its in their interests theres a high chance its also in ours" ...

I would say the direct opposite is more likely to be true where the interests are overwhelmingly financial. My point is if its in many peoples interests you do something (Particuarly with business involved) it might be wise to question why that is, are you really getting a good deal?

ReputationRep:
    I didnt make any assumptions, its you who is doing so "If its in their interests theres a high chance its also in ours" ...
    I mis-spoke. I meant to say that the possibility that it is to mutual advantage cannot be dismissed.

I would say the direct opposite is more likely to be true where the interests are overwhelmingly financial. My point is if its in many peoples interests you do something (Particuarly with business involved) it might be wise to question why that is, are you really getting a good deal?
    Sure, as with everything, that's a valid question to ask. But has anyone found an answer? If not, then I would say the chances are, it's to mutual advantage.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure we will, but 'things will muddle on fine' is hardly an inspiring call for Brexit, is it? Especially given a main plank of Leave's campaign is that EU membership frustrates British trade with non-EU countries and we'd get to sign oodles of lovely free trade deals which would be far more advantageous for the UK than the previous arrangement.

None of which seems to have much substance to it.
    The main plank of the leave argument is re-gaining control of our borders and laws, I think.

ReputationRep:
    There is no sensible doubt that the UK will be within the single market after exit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    There is no sensible doubt that the UK will be within the single market after exit.
    Um, yeah there is. The EU have made it plain that membership of the Single Market cannot be separated from agreeing to be subject to EU law.

ReputationRep:
    The main plank of the leave argument is re-gaining control of our borders and laws, I think.
    Those are the other planks, sure, but they're not ones I intend to explore in this thread. polling indicates also that the main motivator for voters tends to be concerns about the economy.

ReputationRep:
    Um, yeah there is. The EU have made it plain that membership of the Single Market cannot be separated from agreeing to be subject to EU law.
    EU trade law, not the other stuff. Not closer integration. Not shared armies. Not social compacts. And that would be both painless and instant, as we already comply.

ReputationRep:
    Those are the other planks, sure, but they're not ones I intend to explore in this thread. polling indicates also that the main motivator for voters tends to be concerns about the economy.
    The stayers are going to get a real shock when they discover how many people will vote to leave without offering their reasons and without being concerned with the economy. I liken it to those hidden that vote Conservative in general elections, despite leaving pollsters with a very different idea.

ReputationRep:
    EU trade law, not the other stuff. Not closer integration. Not shared armies. Not social compacts. And that would be both painless and instant, as we already comply.
    Yes, but if you're withdrawing from the EU, you're withdrawing from the Single Market too. I suppose you could join the EEA, but then you're back under EU law again.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but if you're withdrawing from the EU, you're withdrawing from the Single Market too. I suppose you could join the EEA, but then you're back under EU law again.
    The UK would be in the EEA, obviously, and would have to implement EU trade law, which it already does..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.