Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2016_GCSE)
    I heard of this, But in times like today the UK is on route to only been able to grow enough food to feed 50% of the population and I doubt they throw 50% of what is grown away more like 10% at the tops, meaning that there would be a 40% lack in food sufficiency if they don't calculate this stuff in to how much we produce for ourselves.
    You have heard of this? Cute. I have seen it, I spent many years working on farms and studying agriculture.

If we reduce our meat consumption and increase arable and veg production we will have more than enough food to feed the UK and then some.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by dannyscott7)
    "They must have let in about 1.5m asylim seekers. So less than .0.3% or 3 per thousand. At least 50% of those will be deported."

Are you mad? Talk about jumping to conclusions. Germany let in over 1m 'refugees' in just 2015 and you think it's 1.5m throughout the whole of Europe. 50% will be deported. Yea was that 50 from a random number generator. Need to re-assess your finger movements

Actually the 50% was generous as the accepted asylum rates are about 33%. You can add 1m to that if you want, but eurostat also has it at 1.3m , its still much less than 1%.
    http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statist...lum_statistics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    You have heard of this? Cute. I have seen it, I spent many years working on farms and studying agriculture.

If we reduce our meat consumption and increase arable and veg production we will have more than enough food to feed the UK and then some.
    I understand this but it's not like everyone is going to give up on meat, And businesses like McDonalds would be out of business with no burger meat.

ReputationRep:
    I understand this but it's not like everyone is going to give up on meat, And businesses like McDonalds would be out of business with no burger meat.
    I'm sure if it came to war people would be willing to reduce their consumption of meat...

ReputationRep:
    I never said give up meat. I love steak as much if not more than the next guy.
    We need to reduce of consumption of meat. If we reduce the supply, the price will go up forcing people to buy other goods, furthermore if we then subsidise the cereals, fruit and veg industries we can further reduce the cost of these items for the consumer.

This will result in a healthier population reducing NHS costs and allow us to maintain sustainable agriculture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boringvoice)
    I'm sure if it came to war people would be willing to reduce their consumption of meat...
    I guess so but even if we reduced land used for grazing animals I still don't think we could pull up to a 100% self sufficient food supply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)

Actually the 50% was generous as the accepted asylum rates are about 33%. You can add 1m to that if you want, but eurostat also has it at 1.3m , its still much less than 1%.
    http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statist...lum_statistics
    Include the illegals too. The accepted rate hardly matters when most don't even apply and literally just storm their way into Europe like they own the place with more than 4/5 of them not even coming from a war zone

ReputationRep:
    Frankly it's been a long old while since we were self-sufficient, and locking out all the immigrants isn't a way to remedy the problem sustainably. We need to think of future generations - we lock out immigrants, we condemn them to a third rate economy, especially by European standards. The UK relies heavily on immigrants, just like every other developed country. There was an article that suggested we gain £20 billion a year from EU immigrants alone, and many more suggesting that immigrants contribute to the economy positively over time.

ReputationRep:
    I never said give up meat. I love steak as much if not more than the next guy.
    We need to reduce of consumption of meat. If we reduce the supply, the price will go up forcing people to buy other goods, furthermore if we then subsidise the cereals, fruit and veg industries we can further reduce the cost of these items for the consumer.

This will result in a healthier population reducing NHS costs and allow us to maintain sustainable agriculture.
    Defensively sounds like a good plan but meat is a good part of the diet as it provides High Biological Proteins so we can't really 100% rule meat out if you want to live a balanced diet. But a Sunday dinner a week is good enough I guess.

ReputationRep:
    If we focus on getting the 5% unemployed working in this country then we won't need to be handing out dole and everyone will be working and contributing to the economy which would work out well for pensions.

I think staying in the EU is a short term solution to keeping jobs of workers, But if we leave then we can change the UK to how it should be without EU control of immigration and law.

And those people who say we don't pay money to the EU, They are stupid, Do they really think we pay very little and get things back???

Never the less if we left, that amount of money we give to the EU a day can be spent however the UK want's it to be. The UK get's less back than it put's in to the EU a day so it makes sense to leave and take control of that money rather than the EU controlling what is done with it.
    So whilst leaving Eu would mean it would probably be illegal for European migrants to stay as a benefit, it's a very small one compared to everything else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannyscott7)
    Include the illegals too. The accepted rate hardly matters when most don't even apply and literally just storm their way into Europe like they own the place with more than 4/5 of them not even coming from a war zone
    Obviously the real number will be much higher. Looks like at least 4m on official figures and that's just so far. The plan is many many more millions. If you don't think this is not going to become a major problem I'm not convinced your from planet earth
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Defensively sounds like a good plan but meat is a good part of the diet as it provides High Biological Proteins so we can't really 100% rule meat out if you want to live a balanced diet. But a Sunday dinner a week is good enough I guess.
    We can still eat fish, they don't take up valuable land which could be used to grow crops.

Once again, I have never suggested completely ruling out meat. I like meat, a lot. I have even hunted for my own meat.

But we don't need to eat meat everyday. There is plenty of non meat sources of protein which will get us by.

ReputationRep:
    I think the UK government should test the strength of the UK at some point by having a simulated war, because the best countries are those that are prepared.

Stop food imports for 1 year and test the military. Lets see if the UK survived and for how long.

I know most of you are thinking this is stupid, but would you rather be prepared or have a sudden war with no pre-tests?

ReputationRep:
    We can still eat fish, they don't take up valuable land which could be used to grow crops.

Once again, I have never suggested completely ruling out meat. I like meat, a lot. I have even hunted for my own meat.

But we don't need to eat meat everyday. There is plenty of non meat sources of protein which will get us by.
    As long as over fishing don't occur then I guess we good.

ReputationRep:
    This is what I was thinking, 2 is a fair number and allows the population to reduce steadily over time.
    Wtf? So you're saying the issue is the population size? Your op seems to take issue with instead who's populating. Now you're concerned about size.
    And how do you suppose this law be enforced that people cannot have sex as they please and thus create children? Especially with married couples? In fact it'll be harder with singles because then you'd have to instill safe sex or just celibacy values in the average person which wouldn't go down well would it (unfortunately)? You're affixing economic blame on random people when it belongs mostly to the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    Wtf? So you're saying the issue is the population size? Your op seems to take issue with instead who's populating. Now you're concerned about size.
    And how do you suppose this law be enforced that people cannot have sex as they please and thus create children? Especially with married couples? In fact it'll be harder with singles because then you'd have to instill safe sex or just celibacy values in the average person which wouldn't go down well would it (unfortunately)? You're affixing economic blame on random people when it belongs mostly to the government.
    Easy, We just tell people negatives of having children without the positives & send couples free condoms.

ReputationRep:
    As long as over fishing don't occur then I guess we good.
    I don't give a **** about overfishing, we can farm fish.

ReputationRep:
    The population is projected to rise by around 500,000 a year the equivalent to a new city the size of Liverpool every year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    The population is projected to rise by around 500,000 a year the equivalent to a new city the size of Liverpool every year.
    That's alot of farm land that would be taken over for housing.

ReputationRep:
    That's alot of farm land that would be taken over for housing.
    Not to mention the extra schools, houses and hospital that have to be built in order to accommodate them

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.