Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Where is that?
    Also I'm sure there's been a repeal since then.
    There probably has - I just saw it in the Hansard.

ReputationRep:
    Arabs did not 'attack', though they were angered and opposed. War erupted between the two sides, it was not one-sided.
    Britannica kids.
    "Immediately after Israel proclaimed itself an independent nation on May 14, 1948, five Arab countries—Egypt, Jordan (then called Transjordan), Syria, Iraq, and Lebanon—invaded the new state and captured the small Jewish quarter in the Old City of Jerusalem."
    Even children know that.:cool:
    The 1948 Arab-Israeli War killed hundreds of Arabs, Jews and British.
    Thousands Jews and Arabs.
    Israel used the lull to undertake a large-scale reinforcement of its army.
    Well done.
    So your response is "they broke the law as well", as if international crimes cancel out each other.
    Just because Arab groups were involved in the war doesn't mean that the illegal capturing and occupation of foreign land could ever be justified.
    No. My response is that crimes should be punished. Especially such crimes as wars. And Arabs were deservedly punished for all wars and terror against Israel.
    Then it is unacceptable that a convert who has no former Jewish background can come and claim land in a state, usually in illegal settlements in Palestine.
    It's up to Jewish people to decide who is and who is not Jewish. Other peoples have no voice in that.
    No it's not.
    See, for example, Qumsiyeh, Palestinian Refugees Right to Return and Repatriation (http://ifamericansknew.org/history/ref-qumsiyeh.html)United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East,http://www.unrwa.org/
    No it's not.

See, for example, B’Tselem – The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories, “Absolute Prohibition: The torture and Ill-Treatment of Palestinian Detainees,” May 2007, http://www.btselem.org/publications/...erly_forbidden
    I don't need to read biased sources to discover what happened in Israel.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Where is that?
    Also I'm sure there's been a repeal since then.
    It was 20th so no repeal, but it was withdrawn

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    DMcGovern - could you please just clarify the difference between this bill and B730 - Recognition of the State of Palestine Bill 2014?
    That Bill was withdrawn, see Hansard.

As for the question of whether this might have been done by a government - irrelevant. An Act has higher legislative status than executive action, and accordingly even if this has already been done, this would have the additional effect of preventing future governments from repealing it through executive action.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)

As for the question of whether this might have been done by a government - irrelevant. An Act has higher legislative status than executive action, and accordingly even if this has already been done, this would have the additional effect of preventing future governments from repealing it through executive action.
    Is there an example of such an act before? I'm not a fan of this being so binding because being able to remove recognition at a moments notice is probably a good thing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Is there an example of such an act before? I'm not a fan of this being so binding because being able to remove recognition at a moments notice is probably a good thing.
    B670

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    That can be done by express debate, producing an Act of Parliament nevertheless.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    B670

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I ment IRL...
    That can be done by express debate, producing an Act of Parliament nevertheless.
    Yes but I feel like unless other countries have their recognition enshrined in law it probably isn't a good idea to enshrine into law Palestine. I would be more open to a bill listing all recognized countries however.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Oh, ok. I shall be voting aye on this bill anyway.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by admonit)
    Britannica kids.
    If you're calling me British then you're mistaken. I'm Irish.

"Immediately after Israel proclaimed itself an independent nation on May 14, 1948, five Arab countries—Egypt, Jordan (then called Transjordan), Syria, Iraq, and Lebanon—invaded the new state and captured the small Jewish quarter in the Old City of Jerusalem."
    Even children know that.:cool:
    Fair point.

No. My response is that crimes should be punished. Especially such crimes as wars.
    So you agree that the illegal occupation of Palestinian land by Israel is wrong?

And Arabs were deservedly punished for all wars and terror against Israel.

It's up to Jewish people to decide who is and who is not Jewish. Other peoples have no voice in that.

I don't need to read biased sources to discover what happened in Israel.
    This all sounds like you're already biased in favour of Israel and slightly Islamophobic/sectarian.

I'll ask you this and only this:

Do you not agree that Palestine has a right to exist and that these illegal settlements should be removed?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I ment IRL...

Yes but I feel like unless other countries have their recognition enshrined in law it probably isn't a good idea to enshrine into law Palestine. I would be more open to a bill listing all recognized countries however.
    The countries that have recognised Palestine do have this enshrined by law.

As of 14 September 2015, 136 (70.5%) of the 193 member states of the United Nations and two non-member states have recognised the State of Palestine, and most have diplomatic relations with the PNA. Some passed by motions, some by Bills.

Fun fact: the Holy See (Vatican City) recognised the state of Palestine in February 2013 and has diplomatic relations.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    Aye only a two state solution can solve the Israel Palestine issue
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Gladiator12345)
    Aye only a two state solution can solve the Israel Palestine issue
    Once again

Israel: damn, the UK now formally recognises the state of Palestine, I guess we should withdraw from occupied lands and sue for peace.

Palestine: oooo, the UK formally recognise us, that will show those evil Jews and we shall certainly offer them peace

We seem stuck with this idea we can solve a geopolitical issue without, well, solving the geopolitical issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Once again

Israel: damn, the UK now formally recognises the state of Palestine, I guess we should withdraw from occupied lands and sue for peace.

Palestine: oooo, the UK formally recognise us, that will show those evil Jews and we shall certainly offer them peace

We seem stuck with this idea we can solve a geopolitical issue without, well, solving the geopolitical issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Once the UK recognises Palestine as a State it can bring both States to the table so negotiations can take place. With the UK being the middle man between the States
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Once the UK recognises Palestine as a State it can bring both States to the table so negotiations can take place. With the UK being the middle man between the States
    Because that has worked so well for the last 7 decades...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because that has worked so well for the last 7 decades...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But the last 7 decades the UK has not recognised Palestine as a State.

What party are you from my friend?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But the last 7 decades the UK has not recognised Palestine as a State.

What party are you from my friend?
    Egypt has recognised Israel, and therefore both parties, for quite some time and have tried hosting negotiations, funnily enough they tend to fail, normally with one or both parties refusing to see face to face.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Egypt has recognised Israel, and therefore both parties, for quite some time and have tried hosting negotiations, funnily enough they tend to fail, normally with one or both parties refusing to see face to face.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The reason i say UK because it is a poweful nation who both sides respect but only if UK recognises Palestine as a State
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The reason i say UK because it is a poweful nation who both sides respect but only if UK recognises Palestine as a State
    Do both sides respect us and not Egypt?

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.