The Student Room Group

Is transsexuality a mental disorder?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge
You lost because you didn't answer the question. You have no evidence of God's existence.

"Love thy neighbour" - just saying.

Oh and also, there's gay stories in the Bible - lmao.

My faith is the only the evidence that I need. My faith in God is so strong that I cannot imagine God not existing. I know I'm not going to persuade anyone and I don't really care.

I do love my neighbour. I love all people since we are all sinners and need forgiveness to enter Heaven. Homosexuals and transsexuals in particular clearly show that they have not received Jesus Christ so I want to help them by letting them know that what they are doing is wrong and that faith in Jesus Christ will help them more than any homosexual relationship/ transsexual life ever could. And they are free to ignore it if they wish to do so.
Original post by paul514
the condition of feeling one's emotional and psychological identity as male or female to be opposite to one's biological sex - gender dysphoria

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on defining dysphoria. So what?
Original post by Trapz99

I do love my neighbour.

Love you too 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlteredBoy
Congrats on defining dysphoria. So what?

The point is sex and gender are the same so they are delusional that they are a different sex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Without question. Male to female transsexuals are mentally ill gay men who need treatment, not an opportunity to mutilate themselves.
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Without question. Male to female transsexuals are mentally ill gay men who need treatment, not an opportunity to mutilate themselves.

Contrastingly, one can argue that transitioning to the gender one knows themselves as being is a solution to the mental illness.
Original post by fire_and_ice
Contrastingly, one can argue that transitioning to the gender one knows themselves as being is a solution to the mental illness.

It could be argued, but it wouldn't hold up. If you have a penis, you are male. If not, you are female. You cannot simply choose one or the other.
Original post by paul514
The point is sex and gender are the same so they are delusional that they are a different sex.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont think I'm male. I am male, regardless of whether I was born with the right anatomy. One thing I am not is delusional.
Original post by AlteredBoy
I dont think I'm male. I am male, regardless of whether I was born with the right anatomy. One thing I am not is delusional.

No you are not you are pretending to be male

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
Sorry but something being labelled a mental health problem isn't a pejorative term and therefore not harmful.

I have a mental health condition and so will 25% of the population in any given year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Calling it a mental health problem makes it sound like a problem or something that needs to be fixed. In general, mental health problems have a bad connotation in society, so automatically labelling a transgender person as mentally ill could make it harder for them to be accepted.

I also have a mental health condition.
Original post by lostintrnslation
Calling it a mental health problem makes it sound like a problem or something that needs to be fixed. In general, mental health problems have a bad connotation in society, so automatically labelling a transgender person as mentally ill could make it harder for them to be accepted.

I also have a mental health condition.

I know, being transsexual

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
No, it isn't, and it may be caused by various factors: differences in brain structure, differences in hormone concentrations, and so on. Denying that you're biologically a certain sex may be a mental disorder, but it all depends on the definition of biological sex.

People with androgen insensitivity syndrome are obviously not going to feel as if they're male, yet they have a Y chromosome. If the definition of male is that you have a Y chromosome, then that seems to be an inadequate definition. But then, so do all of the others.

This post puts it much better than me.

Just as we can come up with criteria for a definition of “planet”, we can come up with a definition of “man”. Absolutely typical men have Y chromosomes, have male genitalia, appreciate manly things like sports and lumberjackery, are romantically attracted to women, personally identify as male, wear male clothing like blue jeans, sing baritone in the opera, et cetera.

Some people satisfy some criteria of manhood and not others, in much the same way that Pluto satisfies only some criteria of planethood and whales satisfy only some criteria of mammalhood. For example, gay men might date other men and behave in effeminate ways. People with congenital androgen insensitivity syndrome might have female bodies, female external genitalia, and have been raised female their entire life, but when you look into their cells they have Y chromosomes.

Biologists defined by fiat that in cases of ambiguous animal grouping like whales, phylogenetics will be the tiebreaker. This was useful to resolve ambiguity, and it’s worth sticking to as a Schelling point so everyone’s using their words the same way, but it’s kind of arbitrary and mostly based on biologists caring a lot about phylogenetics. If we let King Solomon make the decision, he might decide by fiat that whether animals lived in land or water would be the tiebreaker, since he’s most interested in whether the animal is hunted on horseback or by boat.

Likewise, astronomers decided by fiat that something would be a planet if and only if meets the three criteria of orbiting, round, and orbit-clearing. But here we have a pretty neat window into how these kinds of decisions take place you can read the history of the International Astronomical Union meeting where they settled on the definition and learn about all the alternative proposals that were floated and rejected and which particular politics resulted in the present criteria being selected among all the different possibilities. Here it is obvious that the decision was by fiat.

Without the input of any prestigious astronomers at all, most people seem to assume that the ultimate tiebreaker in man vs. woman questions is presence of a Y chromosome. I’m not sure this is a very principled decision, because I expect most people would classify congenital androgen insensitivity patients (XY people whose bodies are insensitive to the hormone that makes them look male, and so end up looking 100% female their entire lives and often not even knowing they have the condition) as women.

The project of the transgender movement is to propose a switch from using chromosomes as a tiebreaker to using self-identification as a tiebreaker.

(This isn’t actually the whole story some of the more sophisticated people want to split “sex” and “gender”, so that people who want to talk about what chromosomes they’ve got have a categorization system to do that with, and a few people even want to split “chromosomal sex” and “anatomical sex” and “gender” and goodness knows what else and I support all of these as very important examples of the virtue of precision but to a first approximation, they want to define gender as self-identification)

This is not something that can be “true” or “false”. It’s a boundary-redrawing project. It can make for some boundaries that look a little bit weird like a small percent of men being able to get pregnant but as far as weird boundaries go that’s probably not as bad as having a tiny exclave of Turkish territory in the middle of a Syrian village.

[...]

I’ve made this argument before and gotten a reply something like this:

“Transgender is a psychiatric disorder. When people have psychiatric disorders, certainly it’s right to sympathize and feel sorry for them and want to help them. But the way we try to help them is by treating their disorder, not by indulging them in their delusion.”

I think these people expect me to argue that transgender “isn’t really a psychiatric disorder” or something. But “psychiatric disorder” is just another category boundary dispute, and one that I’ve already written enough about elsewhere. At this point, I don’t care enough to say much more than “If it’s a psychiatric disorder, then attempts to help transgender people get covered by health insurance, and most of the ones I know seem to want that, so sure, gender dysphoria is a psychiatric disorder.”

The most important thing to note is that there is nothing wrong with transgenderism. People should be free to live their lives how they want as long as it doesn't harm others, without some bigots telling them about their identity.
Gender dysphoria is a mental condition, aye. Best way to "fix" it as such is being a trans personage.

Original post by Trapz99
Yes it is a disorder and is sinful.

A sin would be the act of violating God's will. Assuming God allowed that person to have the gender dysphoria disorder that makes them be trans, and there's no verse in biblical scripture anywhere where God or Jesus specifically stated that being trans is a thing that they really don't go for, what therefore would make it in any way sinful?
Original post by paul514
No you are not you are pretending to be male

APosted from TSR Mobile

and yet here I am, still doing a better job at it than you
Original post by TheIr0nDuke

Sex =/= gender =/= sexual orientation
You mean transgenderism, which is why some transgenders become transsexual.

Transsexuality is not even a damn disorder, it's the term for someone who has changed their genitals.

What you mean is transgenderism a mental disorder.

To that I say Y-E-S.
@paul514 @Retired_Messiah Cheers for understanding simple things and seeing that op is foolishly using transgender and transsexual interchangeably.
Original post by 0to100
@paul514 @Retired_Messiah Cheers for understanding simple things and seeing that op is foolishly using transgender and transsexual interchangeably.

tbh with you I never knew the difference between those two words properly, I'd always just use the word transgender as a default seeing as nobody moaned at me for it.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
tbh with you I never knew the difference between those two words properly, I'd always just use the word transgender as a default seeing as nobody moaned at me for it.

Lool transgender is definitely more politically correct because I think it's a newer term for the T in LGBT haha so it makes you look aware and liberal and stuff since it really burns LGBT bacon when you misuse the trans- words.
Reply 59
Original post by 0to100

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transsexual

I don't care what the latest trend in the PC and SJW community is. Some of the very few people who change their sex might prefer transexual. That doesn't change the meaning of the word.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending