Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you feel about the current average price of new video games ? Watch

• View Poll Results: What's the most you would pay for a new video game?
    Up to £30
    41.49%
    £30-£40
    28.76%
    £40-£50
    21.00%
    More than £50
    8.76%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    Only buy stuff less than £20 in the Steam sales :woo:
    Take off the 0 and you have my policy.

ReputationRep:
    The last game I bought was the Soul Reaper add-on for Diablo.

I haven't paid for a game since.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Haven't spent more than £15 on a game in well over a year, probably. No need to with Steam, as long as you're willing to wait a while for prices to drop.

ReputationRep:
    £30 if it has decent singleplayer, multiplayer and modding, otherwise bargain bucket/steam sale prices.

ReputationRep:
    If it's a new release and I really want it andddd I've just been paid then I'll pay full price (£40-£50) but I usually go second hand for around £25 or less, I'd say a good 80% of my games are preowned...

ReputationRep:
    The only time I'd spend over £30 is when it's for a game I really like or really want to play. Otherwise I just wait for the game to drop in price on steam (in a sale or something).

ReputationRep:
    Where's the option for 0?

ReputationRep:
    I always get my games from humble bundle because they are dead cheap for example I bought 12 games for £7. The most I have ever paid for a game is minecraft even though I have >100 games.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by spv)
    Where's the option for 0?
    "Up to £30" perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    £30 - £40 is the most I'd pay because that is the price of a new game.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone actually buy games at full price on steam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maximum i've spent is £24... GTA 5 for PC

ReputationRep:
    Still own a 360, buying games for £10- is good for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hydorh)
    I always get my games from humble bundle because they are dead cheap for example I bought 12 games for £7. The most I have ever paid for a game is minecraft even though I have >100 games.
    Which console do you own

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    I think the price for GTA V for xbox one in a lot of places is quite mad (it's still 55 quid on the xbox store), as it's not a very new game but has barely depreciated in value.

Other than that it's normally okay as I tend not to buy games as soon as they come out anyways. However the new AAA releases are tending towards some pretty mad prices, so I fear for people that don't do what I do and wait for a bit.
    Next cod will be the most expensive ever since it will have MW2 in it. As for GTA, its still very much over priced yet its almost 3 years old

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    New video games are rubbish anyways so doesn't bother me, I prefer the old ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idontknowmedoyou)
    New video games are rubbish anyways so doesn't bother me, I prefer the old ones
    Depends how you look at it. In truth games from the early 90s were just as bad. While 90% of games 'these days' are generic first-person-shooters, 95% of games back then were generic platformers, usually terrible, usually based on an unrelated film like Wayne's World. Wayne's World the platformer.

There's nothing from the pixelly days that could recreate the awe and immersion of the X-series, Mass Effect, GTA, Yakuza and so on.

ReputationRep:
    Unless I really really want the game I will just wait a few months and pick it up second hand in CEX or another second hand shop. I think it's far too much to pay for a game I would finish in a few days. It's dumb to me how much I have spent on games over the years because I didn't have the will power to wait a few month and get it so much cheaper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdling_CompSci)
    Which console do you own

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got a PC, it is a lot cheaper in the long haul.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Games are so expensive because consoles are relatively cheap. They don't make profit with consoles alone, but with the games. It's the same with printers and cartridges.

Once you have bought their main product, you become a "trapped customer".
    That's why you go open platform with PC and spend about on average £15 per game. Plus the indie scene on PC dwarfs consoles.

Also Steam sales and Humble Indie Bundles. :party2: It's like communism.

I can't remember that last time I spent more than £35 on a game and there is no way in hell I am paying £50 + on a game lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.