Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Men should stop pressurising yourself to be breadwinners watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Absolutely, but when you have people getting depressed and/or committing suicide because they have low self esteem where they feel like they're no good because they don't have what their peers have, or being turned down by potential dates because they work somewhere of low social status, or young people going nuts because of exam pressure which paradoxically is affecting their grades... bit too much pressure, me thinks.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    *Sparks up joint in preperation for some spiritual BS

True, it's never good when that happens. But tbh, I feel like we can't blame the system for that. It all comes down to ourselves and our sense of perspective of what's really important in life. It is down to us to choose how we react to our environment.

This is coming from an Asian whose family value education, credentials, status etc very highly.

I think who we are as men, or even as people is the product of our experiences and journeys. Does the little bit of paper at the end of our degree define us? Does our job define us? Probably not. Rather, the journey that got us there.

When all life is about is achieving a number, or a job, or an arbitrary amount of £££, we need to really analyse our own thinking and behaviour and be critical of it, ask ourselves why..challenge it.

TL DR,

Spoiler:
    Show

if exams stress you out to the point of suicidal thoughts, check yourself b4 u rek urself

ReputationRep:
    Applies to women too. There is lots of pressure on late teens, young-adults (boys and girls) so the stress/pressure begins very early and it clearly doesn't get easier.

It's a little sad really, our lives are just a competition to see who can do the best, get the best, earn the best, look the best, be the best...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erebor)
    It's women who pressure men into working themselves to death. Try being a man who wants to work part time, do a job he likes for little pay or stay at home (as most women do) and see how women look at you. This is why women love using euphemisms like ''ambitious'' or ''driven'' or ''passionate''. The male always has to bring more than just himself to the table if he wants a mate, this is how things work for most species. Hypergamy is indeed a one way street and today's women's increased selfishness/materialism only makes it worse. Men would love to get a godam break from being disposable work horses and ATM's but I doubt women will go along with it anytime soon.
    How is that true?

You can be driven, passionate and ambitious without working yourself to death. You only get stressed when things aren't going right and your not feeling "passionate" and "ambitious" about the task at hand. So that is a slight contradiction.

Men aren't work horses.

Women deal with the very similar pressures in our modern day, western, feminist fuelled, capitalist society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaintedLight)
    Why do/did you feel that
    Women conditioning male minds, you had your head buried in the sand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    How is that true?

You can be driven, passionate and ambitious without working yourself to death. You only get stressed when things aren't going right and your not feeling "passionate" and "ambitious" about the task at hand. So that is a slight contradiction.

Men aren't work horses.

Women deal with the very similar pressures in our modern day, western, feminist fuelled, capitalist society.
    The vast majority of women still go for men who are older, taller, make more money, are at least as educated/intelligent, have a job that is respected by society, are more confident/emotionally stable than themselves etc. All of these are dominant traits. All females in nature look for dominant traits in males, humans are no exception. What matters in our world? Money and social status which will ensure a great future for your spawn.

Women have far more choice when choosing what they want to do with their life, men will want them no matter what. Men have no choice if they want women to be attracted to them, they are the ones who have to work on attracting the woman (unless their status/wealth/looks are so elite than women flock to them) . This is why doctors are the ultimate pussy magnet : the perfect combo between money, intelligence and social aura.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erebor)
    The vast majority of women still go for men who are older, taller, make more money, are at least as educated/intelligent, have a job that is respected by society, are more confident/emotionally stable than themselves etc. All of these are dominant traits. All females in nature look for dominant traits in males, humans are no exception. What matters in our world? Money and social status which will ensure a great future for your spawn.

Women have far more choice when choosing what they want to do with their life, men will want them no matter what. Men have no choice if they want women to be attracted to them, they are the ones who have to work on attracting the woman (unless their status/wealth/looks are so elite than women flock to them) . This is why doctors are the ultimate pussy magnet : the perfect combo between money, intelligence and social aura.
    Yes those are attractive traits, it's normal for humans to be attracted to to other attractive humans.

Women have to work on attracting men also. Women have pressures linked to career/wealth/status/looks also.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    *Sparks up joint in preperation for some spiritual BS

True, it's never good when that happens. But tbh, I feel like we can't blame the system for that. It all comes down to ourselves and our sense of perspective of what's really important in life. It is down to us to choose how we react to our environment.

This is coming from an Asian whose family value education, credentials, status etc very highly.

I think who we are as men, or even as people is the product of our experiences and journeys. Does the little bit of paper at the end of our degree define us? Does our job define us? Probably not. Rather, the journey that got us there.

When all life is about is achieving a number, or a job, or an arbitrary amount of £££, we need to really analyse our own thinking and behaviour and be critical of it, ask ourselves why..challenge it.

TL DR,

Spoiler:
    Show

if exams stress you out to the point of suicidal thoughts, check yourself b4 u rek urself
    Exactly mate, it's us. People. People = human society. What we've come to perceive to be respectable is what people are pressured to achieve.

ReputationRep:
    MGTOW

The red pill

Generate happiness from your goals, achievements, ambitions, hobbies, business life, health and fitness, not female attention.

Ironically, the more you repel women and focus on your own life, the more they want you

when you have been cucked and married too long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W85Y4H3NJ2254)
    Women conditioning male minds, you had your head buried in the sand?
    How many times did you go for shock therapy m8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    It's not just men though is it? It's women and the rest of society in general.
    Men, from teenage onward know full well that to improve your chances and make yourself more attractive to a wider group of girls and women and make yourself good life partner material you can do no better than show yourself to be a potential good provider. A decent car a good job with good earnings potential makes you a lot more attractive as a life partner to a great many women.
    Women's earnings potential is way down the list for men compared to where women put earnings on the list. It's there in all classes but middle class more so.
    This is why hypergamy is a one way street.
    We also know that when children come along if the woman wants to go part time, as is often the way, it's seen as down to him to make up the slack with overtime or promotion to support the family.
    Men are under pressure to support the family in a way that women just aren't.
    If a father decided to go part time or stop work until the kids were in high school and put their wife under pressure to be the only bread winner in the way many women do, he would be looked down on as a waster by many in exactly the same way that women aren't.
    It's not just the men that put pressure on themselves.
    jokes on you're a man and you get married in this day and age

ReputationRep:
    A man like me no woman but my mother will love unless I make something out of myself.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be the breadwinner. Women aren't going to be jumping at the opportunity and I prefer not to be eating scraps off the floor while I wait for her to garner emotional support from facebook for her long term intention to win bread.

ReputationRep:
    Women should stop pressurising men to be breadwinners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nemo86)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a7008371.html

Just stop it

Researchers from the University of Oxford Centre for Suicide believe that men are experiencing severe psychological distress caused by economic setbacks such as being made redundant, unemployed or incurring a significant cut in their income

Take it easy now
    In my experience it's not just men it affects, but middle aged people across the board including women. The government needs to provide lucrative re-training opportunities for those people who already have a first degree or equivalent so they can get back on the career ladder

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.