Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it Unfair how Sikhism do not have a country to themselves? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should Sikhs have a country of their own?
    Yes
    28.99%
    No
    71.01%

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe a nation is one religion. It works on a majority basis. If there are more Christians in a nation then it becomes a Christian state. It goes for the same in politics. More Conservative seats means a Conservative government. That doesn't mean that Labour don't have power and need a government as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They should find out where part of their DNA came from thousands of years ago, and kick out whoever is living there now, then the new state will have a right to exist and all of it's actions will be justified or you're a racist irrational Sikh hater. It would be especially helpful if many of the occupants of New Sikhistan have no connection to old Sikhistan at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheALevelStudent)
    Pakistan are alright tbh. Recently a Sikh leader in Pakistan was killed by some Pakistani guys, but still, Pakistan are alright.
    I think India needs to fix because there are more Sikh people in Canada's cabinet than there are in India. The amount of poverty, mistreatment and corruption in India is unbelievable considering that they want to be the next superpower. It's like they haven't or rather don't want to learn after what happened to them with the Muslims.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Like the rules and stuff and how the religion started, like it confuses me a bit.
    I did come across a little offensive but I am just being honest
    Sikhism as it's taught in RE in secondary school tends to focus on the so-called rules and the external "packaging"; the curriculum hardly goes into the essence of Sikhism. Tbf, most Sikhs aren't very informed about Sikhism either, and the vast majority are completely unaware of the mysticism therein.

I'm currently working on my essay, but feel free to ask any questions in the TSR Sikh-soc and we'll do our best to answer them.

ReputationRep:
    Like the rules and stuff and how the religion started, like it confuses me a bit.
    I did come across a little offensive but I am just being honest
    Well it's rather new religion, I think Sikhism itself makes a lot of sense, more than the rather ancient religions. It's very in touch with science and the universe, it speaks of equality between men and women. It's a forgiving religion.

I grew up sikh, I'm now an atheist. I do like the religion though, I like what it preaches. TheALevelStudent would be better to ask than me though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Well it's rather new religion, I think Sikhism itself makes a lot of sense, more than the rather ancient religions. It's very in touch with science and the universe, it speaks of equality between men and women. It's a forgiving religion.

I grew up sikh, I'm now an atheist. I do like the religion though, I like what it preaches. TheALevelStudent would be better to ask than me though!
    I just don't understand some of the rules like carrying a knife with you and not allowing guys to cut their hair, but again that's just my opinion.

Sikh isn't the only religion that doesn't make sense to me though, Christianity doesn't make any sense to me either (probably more than Sikh). Which is why I left...Why are you an atheist if you like religion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheALevelStudent)
    I think this is the first time I have heard anyone say this about sikhi.
    Out of all religions, it's easily the most clear in terms of understanding, and the rules make the most sense.

That's just my opinion though, don't shoot me.
    I just understand how someone one day, came and invented a religion out of nowhere and then everyone followed it?
    I have heard one person agree with me and think sikh doesn't make much sense, she was an old friend and she was a hindu.
    Haha, of course I won't it's just an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't understand some of the rules like carrying a knife with you and not allowing guys to cut their hair, but again that's just my opinion.

Sikh isn't the only religion that doesn't make sense to me though, Christianity doesn't make any sense to me either (probably more than Sikh). Which is why I left...Why are you an atheist if you like religion?
    I don't know personally, but when you're a baptised sikh I suppose it symbolises your faith?

Well I like what it stands for, I like how Sikhism does preach equality. I look and religious scriptures like works of poetry and literature, but nothing more. I just simply do not believe in God.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I know that Sikhs make up a large part of the Indian armed forces, so I doubt that any Indian land would pave way for a Sikh country.

ReputationRep:
    I just understand how someone one day, came and invented a religion out of nowhere and then everyone followed it?
    I have heard one person agree with me and think sikh doesn't make much sense, she was an old friend and she was a hindu.
    Haha, of course I won't it's just an opinion.
    Lmao she should be the last person to be saying that another religion doesn't make sense :lol:

I mean, a religion that encompasses atheism, monotheism, deism, monism, dualism, henotheism, agnosticism, materialism and so much more, makes sense to very few people anyway.

Btw; Hindu here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    I don't know personally, but when you're a baptised sikh I suppose it symbolises your faith?

Well I like what it stands for, I like how Sikhism does preach equality. I look and religious scriptures like works of poetry and literature, but nothing more. I just simply do not believe in God.
    But why a knife though :s I guess I don't know that much about the religion because I learnt it in primary school.
    Oh that's quite interesting, I have never thought about it like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)
    Lmao she should be the last person to be saying that another religion doesn't make sense :lol:

I mean, a religion that encompasses atheism, monotheism, deism, monism, dualism, henotheism, agnosticism, materialism and so much more, makes sense to very few people anyway.

Btw; Hindu here.
    Lmao. Your response made me laugh so much because you just dissed your own religion.
    Hinduism is more culture based I think.

ReputationRep:
    I did. I studied it at school for a few years.
    The religion just doesn't make any sense what so ever to me.
    Same for any religion, or Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Lmao. Your response made me laugh so much because you just dissed your own religion.
    Naah it's just being honest - Hinduism and its broad range of different (and sometimes opposing philosophies) makes little sense to most Hindus that come from Hindu families anyway (which is why it turns into mostly a cultural thing).
    It's unlikely to make any sense to non-Hindus :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Same for any religion, or Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, etc.
    Yeah, defo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasaron)
    I'm a Sikh, and I don't think any religion is entitled to its own country simply because it's a religion. Sikhs deserve their own country because of their general mistreatment at the hands of the Indian government, not just because they're a religion. Otherwise, I could just start my own religion and say I need a country.
    I'm gonna try this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)
    Naah it's just being honest - Hinduism and its broad range of different (and sometimes opposing philosophies) makes little sense to most Hindus that come from Hindu families anyway (which is why it turns into mostly a cultural thing).
    It's unlikely to make any sense to non-Hindus :lol:
    So what makes you stay a hindu then?:erm::toofunny:
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    So what makes you stay a hindu then?:erm::toofunny:
    Are you an atheist?

ReputationRep:
    But why a knife though :s I guess I don't know that much about the religion because I learnt it in primary school.
    Oh that's quite interesting, I have never thought about it like that
    The knife (actually more of a sword back in the days) is called a "kirpaan", and it's one of the 5Ks in Sikhism. The words "kirpaa" and "aan" mean grace/mercy and dignity respectively. Indians, especially those who were considered "untouchables" were extremely oppressed a few centuries ago (they still are in many parts of India), so the 10th Sikh Guru bestowed the 5Ks on his Sikhs to a) elevate them and b) make them proactive in society.

Not only is the kirpaan a symbol of power and sovereignty, but it's ultimately a tool to be employed in self-defence and to defend others. Initiated Sikhs (the Khalsa) are under a divine obligation to defend and protect people, irrespective of their race, nationality, religious beliefs, etc. Essentially, the ideal Sikh should strive to be a Sant-Sipahi (saintly solider).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zakimo)
    I know that Sikhs make up a large part of the Indian armed forces, so I doubt that any Indian land would pave way for a Sikh country.
    India will never accept losing a territory on its border with Pakistan. This will simply never happen; Sikhs should try to find another solution, possibly extended local powers in Punjab.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.