Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Tumblr damaging the next generation? Watch

• View Poll Results: Is Tumblr damaging the next generation?
    Yes
    53.23%
    No
    20.97%
    Other/ I don't know
    3.23%
    It's the internet as a whole
    22.58%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    This question may seem kind of strange but hear me out:

1. Mental Illness. For some reason, on Tumblr especially, people think they can just give themselves mental illnesses without a medical diagnosis, this is wrong and disrespectful to those who have real illnesses.

2. Fat acceptance. Why are we normalizing poor life decisions. Being morbidly obese is not healthy get over it please.

3. Otherkin. I don't need to say anything here, this is just plain strange, I know you will say I am close minded, but as an attack helicopter I am offended at that

4. Sexual Identity/ Orientation. There are four genders, male, female, tran, and intersex. There are 3 sexual orientations, hetero, homo, and bi.

5. SJW/BLM/Feminism. I'm not talking about those that are simply making the point that we need equality, I'm talking about those that think men should die, whites are vile etc etc.

Feel Free to drop your opinion below.
    Tumblr is Indie, that's your beef.

ReputationRep:
    I think we're getting to point in societal evolution where we're looking further into topics that have previously been dismissed, e.g. gender which is obviously a good thing but as so many of these topics affect adolescents, they want to be able to talk about them which they do so on tumblr, unfortunately they're often a bit misinformed and overzealous and just want their voices to be heard so they can go a bit overboard, I don't think that's strictly limited to tumblr though, even on tsr there is a lot of the same. Also, I think it goes both ways, when someone challenges our way of thinking, our first instinct can just be to 'attack' so no one is actually listening to anyone else's point on view which creates a gap between different generations making it seem even more 'severe'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    As far as a damaged generation is concerned -- that ship has long sailed.
    Nope

We're going to be the best generation ever.

We'll finally unify the European continent and live in relative peace and prosperity, the migrants that come over will abandon their regressive ways such as honor killings and we will live in a country based on multicultural pride where art flourishes.

It'll be another 20, maybe 30 or 40 years. Once the 90s generation starts ruling, we're going to play the world like Pokemon.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely agree with the last four points. But the first one is a bit off, in my opinion anyway. I knew I had BPD long before I was diagnosed and it wasn't until I actually pressed the doctors for a diagnosis they agreed with me and I started receiving proper treatment. I think in some cases, you know you have a mental health issue (anxiety/depression) before doctors do. If you then refuse to seek help/treatment yet continue complaining and claiming you have said mental health issue, well that's dumb. If you changed your point to how Tumblr romanticises and glorifies mental health, then yes, I would agree with that wholeheartedly.

Tumblr is a unique place but as for whether it's damaging the next generation, we could attribute that to a large number of things. Pretty sure some parents would claim video games are damaging the generation, amongst other things, there is a wide variety of things people would say damages society/future generations. It's quite subjective to whatever culture you are a part of.

ReputationRep:
    ****in hate it n don't see the point, never even touch it. I'm very old school with social media (my phone) and I like it that way. I'm not climbing onto these *****y American trends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karaleigh19)
    I definitely agree with the last four points. But the first one is a bit off, in my opinion anyway. I knew I had BPD long before I was diagnosed and it wasn't until I actually pressed the doctors for a diagnosis they agreed with me and I started receiving proper treatment. I think in some cases, you know you have a mental health issue (anxiety/depression) before doctors do. If you then refuse to seek help/treatment yet continue complaining and claiming you have said mental health issue, well that's dumb. If you changed your point to how Tumblr romanticises and glorifies mental health, then yes, I would agree with that wholeheartedly.

Tumblr is a unique place but as for whether it's damaging the next generation, we could attribute that to a large number of things. Pretty sure some parents would claim video games are damaging the generation, amongst other things, there is a wide variety of things people would say damages society/future generations. It's quite subjective to whatever culture you are a part of.
    I was probably a bit heavy handed with the way I made that point. I did actually mean the way you are putting it, by sort of romanticising these things. As a sufferer of anxiety myself I hate when people make it out like it's a reason to do anything they want, or to get special privileges.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L1U1x1o)
    Tumblr is Indie, that's your beef.
    No, that's not my beef. My beef is that it's normalizing things that shouldn't be normal

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Social media is damaging our generation by allowing the opinion of some random waster to hold the same weight as the opinion of the very top experts in a field. It allows misinformation to be perpetuated and it becomes impossible to correct rumours, and it gives a platform for vocal minorities to band together and cause real damage.

It's not only Tumblr that's a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    I was probably a bit heavy handed with the way I made that point. I did actually mean the way you are putting it, by sort of romanticising these things. As a sufferer of anxiety myself I hate when people make it out like it's a reason to do anything they want, or to get special privileges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, this is very annoying. When people use mental illnesses as a way to give themselves some sort of excuse to either not do something or to be allowed to do something.. yes. Tumblr is known for that. The same goes for a number of different issues. You've got the Tumblr users who think that because they're ____ (LGBT, have mental issues, feminist etc), they think they can do and say what they please. Though you get those kinds of people everywhere, it seems most common on Tumblr.

I don't hate Tumblr as a platform though, I use it frequently, I just hate some of the people who use it to 'promote' their opinions.

ReputationRep:
    Internet as a whole. Tumblr may be a major breeding ground for this nonsense, but it's not the only one, and it didn't create it.

Most of these people are young, and I'm just hoping that they're going to grow up and gain some common sense. Unfortunately, however, I'm seeing an increasing number of adults perpetuating this crap. The 2016 census has just been sent out in Canada and there are already a few people on my Facebook complaining that there aren't any other sex options besides male and female. Seriously? Yeah, it's 2016! Biology is so last century! I for one was offended that omnisexual, gender-fluid otherkin wasn't an option on the form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    tumblr has a disproportionately large number of idiots
    unless you have statistics on that i would be very wary to believe that this is really the case compared to other social media sites like reddit or facebook
    (i've had a tumblr for like 3 years now and it's honestly not as bad as people make it out to be)

recently it's become cool to slam tumblr and yeah i guess that's probably expected - people like to think they're better than certain groups of people even when their view is based on limit information/experience

if you stop tunnel visioning then there are whackos everywhere trust me

ReputationRep:
    What is this even a real thread? (I can't tell if you are trolling with some of these points or if are just genuinely clueless)

Sure most of the members of Tumblr aren't doctors but that doesn't mean you can't tell if you have a mental illness. If I had a piece of bone sticking out of my forearm I could tell by arm was just the same as a doctor could, equally if I don't leave the house for two weeks and do nothing but sit in bed watching TV I could tell I was depressed. Sure for some mental heath issue a diagnosis by a professional is required but half the reason we go to the doctors is because we our selves can tell that something is up.

Also, 4 genders and 3 sexual orientations? Oh honey...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieO)
    What is this even a real thread? (I can't tell if you are trolling with some of these points or if are just genuinely clueless)

Sure most of the members of Tumblr aren't doctors but that doesn't mean you can't tell if you have a mental illness. If I had a piece of bone sticking out of my forearm I could tell by arm was just the same as a doctor could, equally if I don't leave the house for two weeks and do nothing but sit in bed watching TV I could tell I was depressed. Sure for some mental heath issue a diagnosis by a professional is required but half the reason we go to the doctors is because we our selves can tell that something is up.

Also, 4 genders and 3 sexual orientations? Oh honey...
    I can tell you're a butthurt Tumblr user, so I will make this short and sweet.

There is a difference between a genuine medical diagnosis and an assumption that you have an illness. Only a doctor can diagnose you, self diagnosis is dangerous and idiotic. And mental illness should not be romanticised.

You need to read a book on biology or psychology before acting so patronising. FYI, my sister has a degree in both and a PhD in one, I think she knows better than you.

ReputationRep:
    The people using and expressing those views are damaging society. I like Tumblr as much the next Tumblr user but for some reason popping pills for a mental illness you may not have is an amazing thing. Tumblr doesn't actually care for the mental ill. Its all about patting yourself on the back for popping pills and making mental illness look glamoury. I think I saw a picture of a woman with a big bottle of pills in her hands, and she edited the picture with rainbow hearts on the pills. She said something about being brave. Self diagnosing is a dangerous game. The doctors might get you hooked on drugs for an illness you don't have to make some easy cash. Anyone can identify with the symptoms of an illness. I might get in the bussiness of being a doctor myself to make cash off the gullible I-have-depression,-PTSD,-and -bipolar-disorder-cuz-this-quiz-told-me-so patients, lol.

Fat chicks get a lot of love on Tumblr. If you suggest or claim its bad to be fat then you're a fat shamer, and you will be hunted down. If you're lucky enough, death threats.

Pretty much anyone can create their own pronouns. No lines are over drawn on Tumblr. Unless you express that there are only 2 genders and 3 orientation, well you are a racist(?) and you're homophobic (phobia of gays?)

You would think on Tumblr that women are being treated like third class citizens and the LGBT are treated horribly. When in reality the LGBT is increasing power and big influence, and women can pretty much do whatever. The LGBT community has a weird obsession with fictional characters and demand that every person that exists in a a successful YA book becomes gay. Its the author choice's, not the LGBT. Feminists literally have blogs dedicated to gifs of women hitting men.
    Never go to Tumblr for accuracy on anything.

ReputationRep:
    Agree about the mental illness thing. Some people on Tumblr are too eager to claim they have depression or anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, have you seen threads of guys being too shook to TEXT someone they like let alone call or interact in person. Bunch of retards if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    I use tumblr on a regular basis and I just unfollow people who reblog any disrespectful crap (like statements which are racist towards white people, heterophobic etc.), it has a rather good side to it if you follow the right blogs and don't stray into the issues side of it. As much as there's a bad side to certain issues (say gender inequality), sometimes tumblr would make this go too far and flip it so there's ideas of inequality towards men.

It's not hard to take things you see with a pinch of salt.

ReputationRep:
    People on Tumblr bullied a girl into attempting suicide because they didn't like the way she was drawing characters. I think it's doing more than damaging people.
    (Original post by EllieO)
    if I don't leave the house for two weeks and do nothing but sit in bed watching TV I could tell I was depressed.
    ...Or you could just be lazy.

If you're going to be concerned about something, you should probably make it the serial killer fandom-type community that's developed.

It remains to be the most f--ked up thing I've seen on Tumblr and a lot of it is teenagers.

Pro ana / depression / etc blogs are a major problem, too, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acupofgreentea)
    If you're going to be concerned about something, you should probably make it the serial killer fandom-type community that's developed.

It remains to be the most f--ked up thing I've seen on Tumblr and a lot of it is teenagers.

Pro ana / depression / etc blogs are a major problem, too, yes.
    Well yes, it's an issue that is a joke, there seems to be some sort of mob mentality on Tumblr, and if you aren't part of it, then you are treated almost sub-human. *sigh*

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.