Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Labrador99)
    From the exam, my guess is that the second paper had to be replaced... The first one was about 16 and 17 year olds voting and considering that the Scottish elections are today, it was a very relevant/appropriate topic and therefore I think it seemed like one that would have been used originally. What does anyone else think?
    yeah that looks like what happened. I wanted to die when i saw Mrs Midas and i didnt even have enough time to write a conclusion to my Othello essay
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ali.R99)
    yeah that looks like what happened. I wanted to die when i saw Mrs Midas and i didnt even have enough time to write a conclusion to my Othello essay
    How did you feel about the RUAE?In the second paper, I did MacCaig for the first part and Memorial came up which I wasn't overly pleased about- it was ok...But I thought the prose fiction questions were really bad for my novel (Brighton Rock) and I don't think I did very well in the essay

ReputationRep:
    The RUAE was terrible. In last year's paper I managed to get 28/30 because it was piss easy but this year... I think maybe 19 or 20. Damn the SQA

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do poetry? I chose the second question regarding a social theme and did Don Patersons' "Ferrymans Arm" and wrote about the underlying topic of an ordinary social experience *visiting a pub* and how we can reach a deeper understanding of death and how death is a social thing because we all experience it blah blah blah - but now I'm freaking thinking I've totally buggered that one up. Close reading and Scottish text was ok - hoping my other two essays bring my grade up too.

ReputationRep:
    There is now a petition regarding this exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What's the petition for?

ReputationRep:
    Something to do with having grade boundaries lowered because of the stress caused by people due to the exam having been leaked 2 days before the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarolGray91)
    What's the petition for?
    https://www.change.org/p/scottish-qu...edium=copyLink

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell! 4500 and not even 24 hours!?!?!?!?

How did your geography exam go!!!?!??!

ReputationRep:
    Ah! Thank you for that! I've signed it I literally took on higher English one day before Christmas holidays, got an A in my prelim but I'm expecting a C maybe a B from the final exam at a push. Got my higher human biology exam on Monday but I'm defo getting an A in that! Just such a shame that the SQA do this to students!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeff548)
    Bloody hell! 4500 and not even 24 hours!?!?!?!?

How did your geography exam go!!!?!??!
    Geography was fine, way better than English.

ReputationRep:
    Ah! Thank you for that! I've signed it I literally took on higher English one day before Christmas holidays, got an A in my prelim but I'm expecting a C maybe a B from the final exam at a push. Got my higher human biology exam on Monday but I'm defo getting an A in that! Just such a shame that the SQA do this to students!
    Exactly! I was in the highest achieving class with people getting A1 and I have been predicted A for the whole year. Also, did really well in the prelim but the exam yesterday just bashed my confidence. I really hope they lower the grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystery.)
    Exactly! I was in the highest achieving class with people getting A1 and I have been predicted A for the whole year. Also, did really well in the prelim but the exam yesterday just bashed my confidence. I really hope they lower the grade boundaries.
    If they don't I'll be really annoyed! I'm estimating that I've got maybe 60-65%, and it's 70 for an A so if they lower it to 65 I'll be happy! At least in England they have different exam boards so they can compete for the best paper with schools and colleges, the SQA are just a joke that need to be abolished!

ReputationRep:
    If they don't I'll be really annoyed! I'm estimating that I've got maybe 60-65%, and it's 70 for an A so if they lower it to 65 I'll be happy! At least in England they have different exam boards so they can compete for the best paper with schools and colleges, the SQA are just a joke that need to be abolished!
    Exactly! They can't manage themselves. Also they can put it up to 71% because last year was 74%!!
    I heard they used the same passage for AS level English too?

ReputationRep:
    Geography was fine, way better than English.
    Great to hear!!! I am sure you will do fine in English.

Just spread the petition on facebook and twitter because it already has 5700 people in ONE DAY. This can be bigger than higher maths! Bear in mind that petition went on for months until results day!

ReputationRep:
    Exactly! They can't manage themselves. Also they can put it up to 71% because last year was 74%!!
    I heard they used the same passage for AS level English too?
    You're kidding? 😱 I heard they used the film Frozen for the close reading for the Nat5 exam! What a joke! It's too bad we live in a country where they don't care about our voices and opinions to do anything about our concerns and complaints

ReputationRep:
    Grade boundary is normally 74% for English these days.

First year of nat 5 for an A = 74%
    Second year of nat 5 for an A = 74%
    First ear of new higher for an A = 74%

I don't see any reason why they will alter it. That's what the petition is for, to show the sqa that people did find it hard and not to simply go by their usual grade boundaries. What they're doing is going "people seem to have found that ok, so we will move the boundary up 4 marks, one for each aspect of the course"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carolgray91)
    you're kidding? 😱 i heard they used the film frozen for the close reading for the nat5 exam! What a joke! It's too bad we live in a country where they don't care about our voices and opinions to do anything about our concerns and complaints
    frozen!?!?!? Are you mad!?!?!? For nat 5??? It will have been a baby passage!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    The grade boundaries aren't picked, it's set so there is a certain percentage in each grade bracket so that for example every year the top 30% always get an A. So if your not getting an A it means you are not the best and others were better than you . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeff548)
    Grade boundary is normally 74% for English these days.

First year of nat 5 for an A = 74%
    Second year of nat 5 for an A = 74%
    First ear of new higher for an A = 74%

I don't see any reason why they will alter it. That's what the petition is for, to show the sqa that people did find it hard and not to simply go by their usual grade boundaries. What they're doing is going "people seem to have found that ok, so we will move the boundary up 4 marks, one for each aspect of the course"
    I'm possibly going by my prelim results then as I got 74% which was an A and another girl got 70% which was an A as well. Don't get me wrong I knew I was never going to get full marks (although I was three off full marks in the close reading prelim!) but 74% seems a bit OTT especially for such a difficult subject anyway which ironically enough has very little to do with English! 😂

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.