Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (6/5/16) - Directed Writing and Composition Watch

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't too bad really. The letter was alright, and I did the descriptive writing about the cafe, but I did go over on that one to finish it.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think it was too bad.
    You can tell when you have enjoyed a composition in the exam when you fill all three pages they give you, and both extra pages at the back, and three pages of a four page additional booklet! (eight pages in total). I feel sorry for the examiner that has to mark all that, but I had fun, and that's the most important thing...
    Or was it grades? I know it was either fun or grades that's most important for your IGCSE exams, my teacher did tell me but I think I've forgotten.
    My hand hurts like Hell now for writing all of that so quickly though. My fingers will be sore tomorrow!
    I did the second of the narrative options by the way (the one about a story containing the line...) and after coming out of the exam I realised that I didn't even read either of the description questions!

ReputationRep:
    Another letter?! Students who did the Honey Hotel P2 yesterday already wrote a letter so it seems bizarre if those same students were tested on their ability to write the same text type again :-/ I know it's persuasive but still :-/ Sometimes I really wonder what's going on in their heads at CIE when they put these papers together!

Don't feel sorry for the examiner if what you wrote was any good, TheBirder We genuinely enjoy reading thoroughly good compositions.

ReputationRep:
    How many marks would I have lost for forgetting to sign off at the end of the letter?

ReputationRep:
    I also thoroughly enjoyed the exam and I did the first descriptive writing question - the one about coming across a box filled with objects you collected as a child.

I tried to use as many higher level techniques as possible (i.e. synthesia, tautology, breaking down the third wall etc.) but the exam really did bring me closer to the idea of pursuing a career that revolves around descriptive writing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Another letter?! Students who did the Honey Hotel P2 yesterday already wrote a letter so it seems bizarre if those same students were tested on their ability to write the same text type again :-/ I know it's persuasive but still :-/ Sometimes I really wonder what's going on in their heads at CIE when they put these papers together!

Don't feel sorry for the examiner if what you wrote was any good, TheBirder We genuinely enjoy reading thoroughly good compositions.
    I was sort of disappointed that I had to submit my story. I thought it was rather good and I'd have liked to keep it and draft it out nicely and neatly to keep with the other stories that I've written.

I think this letter had a very different feel to the last letter though. It was much more formal and not really the same as writing to a friend. The text was very different too since this was a transcript of an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBirder)
    I was sort of disappointed that I had to submit my story. I thought it was rather good and I'd have liked to keep it and draft it out nicely and neatly to keep with the other stories that I've written.

I think this letter had a very different feel to the last letter though. It was much more formal and not really the same as writing to a friend. The text was very different too since this was a transcript of an interview.
    Indeed. There was also a natural shift in focus from reading in paper 2, question 1 to writing in this question

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. I still think it's important to show that you can write different text types, though, as well as demonstrate dexterity of style within just the one.

ReputationRep:
    The exam was strangely fun, honestly I think there's something wrong with me.

Just a query concerning the descriptive piece on the cafe, how is it marked? (I did little prep for this exam other than to get the creative juices flowing) - is it marked with some formula or is it marked for how interesting/captivating it was and what level of detail/vocab you included.

ReputationRep:
    It's marked around 50% on content and 50% on the quality of your writing.

For the highest marks for descriptive writing, you need to be able to:
    - incorporate many defined and well-developed ideas
    - create a convincing, original overall image
    - use varieties of focus
    - ensure that there is no confusion with writing a story
    - write consistently and fluently
    - write with almost 100% accuracy
    - show a clear sense of audience
    - use a wide range of appropriate vocabulary
    - use a variety of sentence structures

Hope that helps a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if there is a thread for IGCSE English Literature?
    I would rather not waste 20 minutes searching through the forums, so I was hoping some people who do language would be doing lit as well and would be able to link me to the thread.
    Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.