Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you feel safer being treated by a white doctor? Watch

(Original post by Multiculturalism)
    He's always hanging out in News and Current Affairs. Always trolling, sometimes he posts right wing stuff, sometimes left wing stuff, just to stir up a ****storm. Thankfully, we've enclosed all the fascists in the NaCA forum, and they only rarely come out into the wider TSR
    You calling me a troll? :rofl:

Stirring up ****storms? Not me :innocent:

(Original post by Arkasia)
    You don't seem to understand that one of the problems facing the NHS right now is a shortage of capable doctors to deal with patients. Any employee that is qualified to do the job is a good employee; 'exceptional' or otherwise. There is no discrimination taking place in terms of trained medical staff.
    Yes, I agree its not much of an issue in healthcare.

ReputationRep:
    A doctor is a doctor. it is not the skin colour that should determine their capabilities as a doctor.
    Rather it is their performance in how they carry out their role as a doctor itself.

why would one feel safer with a white doctor than others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multiculturalism)
    And you. Another fascist troll
    Explain the fascism please

(Original post by Boss_Rhythm)
    I sincerely apologise sir, for my senseless comment.
    I have never seen you swear, so please calm down, I am sorry to have pissed you off.....
    I thought it was funny n I'm white. Check his name, he's having a go at anyone who isn't far left.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Racism in healthcare is definitely still a thing. I'm white and British with a slightly unusual surname. A patient once heard my surname after a college said 'Nurse X will be treating you' and the patient loudly declared that they did not want a Pakistani nurse anywhere near them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h333)
    A doctor is a doctor. it is not the skin colour that should determine their ability of being a good or bad doctor.
    Rather it is their performance in how they carry out their role as a doctor itself.

why would one feel safer with a white doctor than others?
    and Multiculturalism It's just op winding people up obviously lol but of course skin colour can't determine ability but for me I find white female drs to be the most comforting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mojo Banjo)
    And if so why?
    No, I'm not racist. I wouldn't give a crap what race/ethnicity a doctor was, the only thing I would keep in mind is qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    Racism in healthcare is definitely still a thing. I'm white and British with a slightly unusual surname. A patient once heard my surname after a college said 'Nurse X will be treating you' and the patient loudly declared that they did not want a Pakistani nurse anywhere near them.
    That kind of racism is completely ok and before you get bothered let me explain lol
    as long as it's not preventing someone from living their life and if it's not harming them I don't see the harm in personal opinion like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Honestly, with all the 'equality' nonsense, I'd be more comfortable with those who I am sure have earned their place
    While a drive for ethnic diversity does exist in some career options like the police force, I am unaware of such positive discrimination taking place in medicine due to the large numbers of bright young Indians choosing to qualify as doctors. However, there is a huge amount of research showing that those with White European names are far more likely to be called for interview following job applications in a variety of fields, even when qualifications and other relevant factors are equal. This suggests that if anything, it is Whites who are likely to have not earned their place and sneaked in with a mediocre track record, not us Indians.

EDIT: I am not complaining, by the way. While it is certainly not ideal, I realise that this discrimination is to be expected when I choose to live in a country where I am an ethnic minority. I am just pointing out that your lack of trust is misplaced.

(Original post by Mathemagicien)
    How else would I have got to 8 gems?
    Now if there was neg rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    Of course there are ppl who will disagree and I'm sure there are people who will agree.
    Not that I'm posting worrying about either though.
    It's not a "fallacy" either since I've experienced it while fallacy means an untrue belief...
    And anecdotal means I've experienced so you just contradicted yaself
    Stop using words too big for you.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misleading_vividness

Seriously, you're too stupid to realise you're stupid.

ReputationRep:
    And if so why?
    I don't care what their skin colour is but I do feel slightly more nervous when the doctor is foreign and English is not their first language , only because it could result in miscommunication or misunderstanding that could potentially cause mistakes to occur.

ReputationRep:
    Humans naturally feel more secure around those similar to us. It's an evolutionary response. It's probably minimised in the modern age seeing how exposed we are to those who are different to us, but still present. Even if consciously we may know that all doctors are similarly qualified, it's no surprise if white people feel more comfortable around white doctors (and black people around black doctors, etc.).
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    That kind of racism is completely ok and before you get bothered let me explain lol
    as long as it's not preventing someone from living their life and if it's not harming them I don't see the harm in personal opinion like
    No kind of racism is ok.

If a patient refuses treatment because the doctor/nurse is rude or incompetent or whatever then fair enough, but refusing treatment on the basis of race (or assumed race in this case) is not right.

ReputationRep:
    and Multiculturalism It's just op winding people up obviously lol but of course skin colour can't determine ability but for me I find white female drs to be the most comforting
    Ok then I assume your comfort (if it is not to do with the fear that other skin colours or races are not as good doctors) then can be reasonable.

(Original post by Serine Soul)
    Now if there was neg rep
    Then I'd be worse off than Dalek

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    That's the default reaction I have to everything that comes out of this guy's mouth
    Who cares lol

Learn to make some good, popular threads first

ReputationRep:
    And if so why?
    http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.d901

(Original post by -starlight-)
    While a drive for ethnic diversity does exist in some career options like the police force, I am unaware of such positive discrimination taking place in medicine due to the large numbers of bright young Indians choosing to qualitfy as doctors. However, there is a huge amount of research showing that those with White European names are far more likely to be called for interview following job applications in a variety of fields, even when qualifications and other relevant factors are equal. This suggests that if anything, it is Whites who are likely to have not earned their place and sneaked in with a mediocre track record, not us Indians.
    Interesting. You might convince me to be biased in favour of Indians!

(Original post by free_the_mind)
    What country are you messaging from firstly? Seriously.
    The only people that I've seen who have had issues with the colour of a doctors skin have been the racist/ignorant type/mentally challenged.
    Hit the nail on the head right there :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Who cares lol

Learn to make some good, popular threads first
    Obviously the person who repped me does.

Why are you wasting time on here, shouldn't you be begging it off people on kik anyway?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.