Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm comfortable at Hull but I've got an offer from Nottingham watch

Announcements
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi tinyflame -

It can feel really confusing but the best piece of advice I can offer is be honest with yourself about what you need. Pick the institution that you feel will bring the best out of you. As much as statistics, employers and opportunities are something to think about, what might be the Best University might not be the best university for you. Think about what you need to succeed and whether each one will offer you the right opportunities to help you achieve that. If you're nervous about being lost in a large institution, that's ok. If you value more hands-on experience to really understand, then the academic option might not be suited to you.

Pick the best university for you, even if it's not the best university - you'll get more out of it than struggle to make yourself fit. I hope that helps!

All best,
    Lou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knope)
    You sound very level-headed to me, so I'm sure you'll end up making the right decision.

Honestly, right now Notts may seem less home-y compared to Hull because it doesn't have the same connotations to you. In the same way that if I went to visit your home neighbourhood, it probably wouldn't feel like home to me.

I was worried about switching from school to sixth form, where most people stayed on at the school's sixth form, but changed to a sixth form with better teaching in the end. It was great to have a new set of friends, for me, and I really enjoyed the change in the end.
    That's exactly how I feel and it's so weird...

It's like I'm worried to leave the comfort I've built up here, but I keep forgetting that I could get just as comfortable if I move to Nottingham.

It just feels tough to make that first decision to leave and go into the unknown
    And knowing that I will miss out on the experience I could've had at Hull, even though it's a small place. Like Decaffinated said, I will lose out either way, I think I'll just have to figure out which one will be the bigger loss.

But honestly so far, I find it quite difficult to think that I could spend 4 years at Hull when it is already quite small, not just the campus, but the student areas too. The place being small could make things convenient and feel more relaxed though, but I'm just worried about staying in such a small area for 4 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norwich University Of The Arts)
    Hi tinyflame -

It can feel really confusing but the best piece of advice I can offer is be honest with yourself about what you need. Pick the institution that you feel will bring the best out of you. As much as statistics, employers and opportunities are something to think about, what might be the Best University might not be the best university for you. Think about what you need to succeed and whether each one will offer you the right opportunities to help you achieve that. If you're nervous about being lost in a large institution, that's ok. If you value more hands-on experience to really understand, then the academic option might not be suited to you.

Pick the best university for you, even if it's not the best university - you'll get more out of it than struggle to make yourself fit. I hope that helps!

All best,
    Lou
    Thank you very much Lou

The two courses at Hull and Nottingham are pretty much the same, like they will probably be as equally demanding in terms of contact time and have similar modules for the first two years. Only difference is that Nottingham would let me transfer to an Meng after my second year and and there is a lot more module choice at the last year where I could go into different engineering "streams" while at Hull I would have to stick with just mechanical engineering.

But still, I feel it's very much a "comfort vs risk" situation. I mean I could just stay at Hull because I'm already really comfortable here, but I am terrified of regretting not taking the risk for something that seems better

I just don't know how important this comfort is to me
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    It's a tough but great situation to be in - to have choice I mean.

If you find that you're going around in circles, then ask yourself different questions - what would make you feel more comfortable? How does each institution provide ways to help you do that? What would risks are you worried about and what would be the outcomes if they went wrong or right? What are their support services like if you find that things do go wrong?

The hardest part is knowing when to make a decision and sticking to it confidently but it will help you feel much better about once you've made a decision and look forward. You can always ring each one of them up and have a chat - once you've done everything you can, you just have to go all in to make the most of it.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norwich University Of The Arts)
    It's a tough but great situation to be in - to have choice I mean.

If you find that you're going around in circles, then ask yourself different questions - what would make you feel more comfortable? How does each institution provide ways to help you do that? What would risks are you worried about and what would be the outcomes if they went wrong or right? What are their support services like if you find that things do go wrong?

The hardest part is knowing when to make a decision and sticking to it confidently but it will help you feel much better about once you've made a decision and look forward. You can always ring each one of them up and have a chat - once you've done everything you can, you just have to go all in to make the most of it.

Best of luck!
    Thanks again Lou,

I do feel like I'm going in circles a bit, and I definitely agree that I need to keep asking myself these questions and see how I feel about them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinyflame)
    Thank you very much Lou

The two courses at Hull and Nottingham are pretty much the same, like they will probably be as equally demanding in terms of contact time and have similar modules for the first two years. Only difference is that Nottingham would let me transfer to an Meng after my second year and and there is a lot more module choice at the last year where I could go into different engineering "streams" while at Hull I would have to stick with just mechanical engineering.

But still, I feel it's very much a "comfort vs risk" situation. I mean I could just stay at Hull because I'm already really comfortable here, but I am terrified of regretting not taking the risk for something that seems better

Ooh, the MEng thing definitely adds another layer. I think undergraduate masters are such brilliant value. Undergrad fees & loan system, plus if you get an industrial placement you should get good pay from that.

ReputationRep:
    No, no hold on

I'm transferring into Nottingham's 1st year, not their foundation year, so I wouldn't lose out on one year's student finance by repeating a foundation year.
    I see.

I think this does make a big difference in engineering terms

Most engineers have to relocate with their careers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knope)
    Ooh, the MEng thing definitely adds another layer. I think undergraduate masters are such brilliant value. Undergrad fees & loan system, plus if you get an industrial placement you should get good pay from that.
    I know, it's definitely confirmed that I could transfer to an MEng at Nottingham if I get over like 50-60% in my second or first year, but I have not found anywhere yet, if I could transfer when I would be at Hull.

I tried looking at the Hull uni website the other day but couldn't find anything, I will probably call the engineering department about it soon.

But so far, I just feel that Nottingham has a far better campus, but Hull has a nicer surrounding student area?

I think it's the student area that I got so used to and like that makes me want to stay, I honestly didn't like Nottingham's surrounding area, it felt quite a bit dull.

It's like I'm swapping a better surrounding area for a better campus and uni?

It's like I'm struggling very hard with the idea of leaving this nice student area in Hull, but then again, it' literally just one street, which doesn't seem worth it to give up going to Nottingham for?

Also I forgot to add, but I think that would I have not lived on this "high street" in Hull this year, but say your average residential street, i don't think I would've had such a problem with moving.

ReputationRep:

I think this does make a big difference in engineering terms

Most engineers have to relocate with their careers
    Yeah I really liked how I had more module choice at Nottingham, because I might want to go into the aeronautical stream if I could.

An I forgot that engineers would have to relocate most of the time, so I will probably will have to get used to this in the future

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.