Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Spoiling your ballot is the stupidest thing Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Why do people do this? Do you think the winner of the election is going to say "damn, look at all those spoiled ballots - I guess people are unhappy! I'll stand down and we'll have another election"? Or what? What's the point?

You're worse than people who don't vote, because you're actually taking the time and effort to go to the polling station and say "I'M NOT VOTING".
    They are principled people who hope in vein people will do it on mass

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    It shows that you still turn up but don't care for the election or any of the candidates. I do it from the PCC elections.
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    My response would be pretty much this:

If you just don't vote, then you can't really distinguish between those who care about politics but don't support any of the options, and those who just don't care and/or are lazy.

If you spoil your ballot, that clearly says "I care about politics but none of you are good enough" - you took the time to register and then go to a polling station just to do that. But If you just don't bother, you can easily be lumped in with the lazy and apathetic.
    So then all of the political parties, including whoever's in power, say "well this person doesn't vote, so we don't need to try to win them over". They have absolutely no reason to care about your interests, and you've given them every reason NOT to change the system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackdiamond24)
    I'm not much into politics but I think there should be votes on all major matters in the country. I know that would cost a lot of money and all, but if we were able to vote on all of the things we agree/disagree with it could be more fair and the little man would always get his say. It seems as though there are loads of problems that many people want to deal with, but people in the government always seem to get the final decision, which from what I know is not democracy.
    Have you read the entirety of the TTIP and all amendments? What are your thoughts on it? How will it affect the country economically and socially, what could be changed, how do we negotiate for that change?

How knowledgeable are you in the intricacies of the Middle East? Do you know all the factions currently fighting, and who's fighting who?

How much tax revenue would be gained from increasing taxes on the rich? Where could that revenue go? How many people would it cause to leave?

There are hundreds of extremely complex issues dealt with by our government. Even if you genuinely tried to understand the intricate details of all of them - most people wouldn't bother - you just wouldn't have the time. Running a country is a full time job.

ReputationRep:
    So then all of the political parties, including whoever's in power, say "well this person doesn't vote, so we don't need to try to win them over". They have absolutely no reason to care about your interests, and you've given them every reason NOT to change the system.
    I don't expect them to care, and I doubt they'll change for anything. I turn up to vote for other elections like local council, and whilst I'm here they give me the PCC one too.
    I don't care whether they take it to heart or not, I don't care if they don't notice. The point is, I'm there anyway so I may as well do something.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why I'd stand in line and I'm not voting for anyone...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    The idea of someone like me standing in an election is completely ridiculous.
    I wholeheartedly agree.

ReputationRep:
    At least they could be bothered to turn up at the polling station. Beats the passive antipathy of many others.

ReputationRep:
    If the proportion of spoiled ballots were to increase significantly, people would notice and it would send a message that there is a significant group of the electorate who do care about politics but do not support any of the current options. And you cannot brush that under the carpet by pretending that they're just lazy or don't care - you can do that for people who don't vote because you can't really distinguish between the disillusioned and the downright lazy or apathetic.

It may not achieve that much, but if you don't support any of the parties or candidates it is certainly better than just not voting.

ReputationRep:
    Surely that is a massive black mark against our political system, that when people feel disenfranchised, let down, betrayed and unrepresented their is an incentive to ignore them entirely rather than win them to your cause.

Also spoiling your ballot is counted no differently from any other kind of mistake on the ballot. Are they making a political point or just too stupid to fill in a form correctly?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.