Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you sell all of your thoughts for £1,000,000 for public viewing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    That makes it a definite no from me then. Effectively it means would you allow the entire world to read your mind for £1,000,000. Most definitely no. Not if it were impossible to reverse. You'd be screwed in pretty much every possible way and £1,000,000 certainly isn't enough to live the rest of your life on.

I would be interested in trying it out to see how many people I could influence. Are these your thoughts or mine nonsense. But it isn't worth 1 million if it's permanent and forever.
    I wouldn't say you'd be screwed - I'd say people would like you a lot if they could see all your thoughts! And what do you mean by influencing people (in this regard)?

(Original post by Acsel)
    Well of course there are things you can do with £1,000,000 but the money itself is not sufficient. Furthermore you're options become pretty limited as to what you can actually do with it.

Attempts to invest it will most likely fail. If you find something to invest in that actually gives decent returns then great. Until some of the 7 billion people seeing your thoughts decide to do the same thing. And as soon as loads of people jump on the bandwagon you'll be unable to make any money. It'll become oversaturated and will soon stop yielding any sort of meaningful return.

So I think investing is a terrible idea in this scenario. And I've assumed you actually know what you're doing. If you have no business experience you're in an even worse position.
    Well, they'd only see the business ideas you had up until then - you could just go and make more after the viewing.

PS: I've been reading all of your posts through and through, in the last post I made I cut off your last paragraph and it seemed as if I was ignoring what you said in that paragraph - I wasn't. <3

ReputationRep:
    No, they'll be scared for life :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Sure, all I think about is food anyway.

I would do it for free.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    I would do it for free.

What about all those enslavement of unicorns, thoughts? :awesome:

(Original post by RezzBerry)
    What about all those enslavement of unicorns, thoughts? :awesome:
    :eek:
    Are you a poacher :unimpressed: ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Scorchy)
    Say there was a way of taking all of your thoughts (literally EVERYTHING you'd ever thought about in your life) and letting the world watch them (so the whole world reads your mind and sees everything you've ever thought about).

Would you let people watch them for £1,000,000?
    haha absolutely not

ReputationRep:
    My stream of consciousness is normally something like "mmmmm cake.... what day of the week is it?... oh shiny... bacon".

I'm not sure someone will give me 50p for it, although it may get me committed.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    :eek:
    Are you a poacher :unimpressed: ?

Don't be silly. They don't exist.

By the way, do you have the highest num. of daily posts?

Don't be silly. They don't exist.

By the way, do you have the highest num. of daily posts?
    Probably

ReputationRep:
    Never! Some deep thoughts over here
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I wouldn't say you'd be screwed - I'd say people would like you a lot if they could see all your thoughts! And what do you mean by influencing people (in this regard)?
    I think it would depend entirely on your personality. Someone with a nice personalty (mind?) would probably be better liked than someone who wasn't so nice. But you can never please everyone so you'd likely make some enemies. And while some people might take it well you'd hurt yourself in a lot of ways. It's an entirely one way street which can very easily be used against you.

I won't even go into anything concerning identity theft, invasion of privacy or really anything that requires you to keep quiet. You can't plan a surprise birthday party on the off chance the recipient finds out. No one can tell you something that's meant to stay secret and so on.

As for influencing people, it's purely theoretical but I suppose it would work somewhat like subliminal messaging. If everyone can "see" your thoughts that means you have control. They say you begin to act like those you spend the most time with. So anyone spending a lot of time watching your thoughts would pick up some of your thinking patterns. And while it gives people an avenue into your mind, by controlling your thoughts you have an avenue to put ideas directly into their heads. I'm sure you'd be able to have some sort of impact.

Well, they'd only see the business ideas you had up until then - you could just go and make more after the viewing.

PS: I've been reading all of your posts through and through, in the last post I made I cut off your last paragraph and it seemed as if I was ignoring what you said in that paragraph - I wasn't. <3
    While this is true you'd have to be very and have near instantaneous implementation. Lets say for example you had a product idea. Would you be able to implement it faster than a large company? Who would have all their own R&D plus your own thoughts as you think them. To an extent this comes down to a matter of resources. You couldn't do anything like buying stock since 7 billion people seeing you make money would lead some to copy your moves. Thus lowering what you actually get out of it, whether that's percentages of profit or from selling stock on.

You can't really negotiate anything. The person you're negotiating against knows all your cards while you have no idea on theirs. You really do lose out on a lot of stuff. You'd need some sort of business idea that can't be copied, won't bottom out (and thus stop making profit) and is generally sustainable. That then turns you into a monopoly and you have all sorts of other problems. Not to mention the odds are near impossible. Just preventing someone copying what you think is impossible. You can't patent an idea.

This means your monetary income relies on a variety of get slightly rich quick schemes. It won't end well. It would be highly stressful and one wrong move presents issues. Luckily the solution may lie in an earlier part of this post.

Work for the government. I'm certain there's all sorts of fun stuff you can do with a person who is technically connected to every other person on the planet. Of course we also run into questions like how are the thoughts being beamed into people? Is this entirely self sustaining? Does it require some sort of outside help (like a cerebral video camera, sender and receiver)?

It's an interesting thing to theorise. The are any nuances to consider and really leans into the realms of philosophy. Not to mention the ethics of it all. Good thread.

Couldn't pay me enough

ReputationRep:
    No way not at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impressive)
    Why not. They're just thoughts, not actions.Posted from TSR Mobile
    But memories, or thinking about memories could include past actions.

(Original post by Serine Soul)
    Money = freedom
    (Original post by Zitterbart)
    A million should be enough to live from if you find a good investment plan to yield, say, 4 percent per year.
    HAHAHA a million really isn't much in this day and age, you'd have to live pretty frugally plus think of all the damage that would be done from people seeing your thoughts!

I'd love to see someone elses thoughts, I'd blackmail the **** out of them.

(Original post by RachaelBee)

HAHAHA a million really isn't much in this day and age, you'd have to live pretty frugally plus think of all the damage that would be done from people seeing your thoughts!

I'd love to see someone elses thoughts, I'd blackmail the **** out of them.
    I could project my thoughts onto a cinema screen and charge people to watch them

I have a very, um, wild imagination. I think about the worst things and the best things that could happen to me

ReputationRep:
    YES. Wish this were an actual thing!

I only have intense, sexual thoughts about *the person who comments below*.
    (Original post by saladays)
    To be quite honest, my thoughts must be very mild compared some other people's. So, yeah, maybe.
    Lmaooo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    I could project my thoughts onto a cinema screen and charge people to watch them

I have a very, um, wild imagination. I think about the worst things and the best things that could happen to me
    Name one of the worst...

(Original post by RachaelBee)
    No one except you would know whether they were memories or something that you've imagined.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by 0to100)
    Name one of the worst...
    Er well I fail to go anywhere in life and turn to prostitution, which is okay for a while until a specific sort of guy comes along. Let's say he does things that pretty much destroys me. After getting rich by becoming an upper class prostitute, I have the means and money to kill him, and do, but end up in jail, or with a death sentence if I've found myself in the US

Other ones include death by murder

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.