Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New Mayor of London shows most people don't support the racist agenda Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I really wish the Tories would stop this faux outrage about Zac Goldsmith's campaign. It's feeling a bit like a Goldsmith-hate free-for-all right now. If they really cared so much about it they'd have been saying all this weeks ago. Now it seems like they've decided he's the Conservative Party ScapegoatTM to push all the blame on to coax back Muslim voters... to hide the fact that this anti-Khan smearing was very convenient for them all until recently.

ReputationRep:
    He played the "muslim card" even though clearly he is no muslim (he voted for allowing same sex marriage and was ex-communicated from Islam by various clerics for voting this way).

Its like a catholic by birth voting for all sorts of liberal stuff and then playing the "catholic Irish card" even though he probably never goes to church.

the whole labour party were up to their eye balls in this "muslim card" nonsense. Sickening.

the real story:
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/03...e-muslim-card/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainhuman)
    Why would you parade a white mayor when there are a dime a dozen of those?

He is the first Muslim mayor of an EU capital. That is something to talk about.

You sound like the typical white meninist. Omg womenz and non-whites get so much and poor me, I don't get nothing :cry2:
    'You sound like the typical black meninist.' And now you're a racist. How dare you pick black people off for their skin colour, you bigot.

It doesn't matter if they are 'two-a-penny.' If you are willing to legitimise the notion that this is a victory because he's the first Muslim Mayor, then you are willing to legitimise the notion that when a Christian Mayor is elected next time round it will be a victory for Christianity.

I thought we lived in a secular society? Apparently not - as far as you're concerned, it's Prophet before policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BubbleBoobies)
    "islam = a race"?

do you see UKIP, the EDL (even tories) etc taking issue with sikhs, hindus, jamaicans, east asians, etc?
    no?
    then how are they "racists"?
    maybe it's about the quantities of immigrants, or the content of their beliefs?
    but oh no, it's about race, somehow. right.,,
    honestly, how do you maintain this position of yours? don't you like thinking?
    I said "racist-oriented" deliberately.

Do you seriously think that Islamophobia in this country has nothing to do with race? Nothing to do with the fact that most Muslims have been from Pakistan and Bangladesh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I really wish the Tories would stop this faux outrage about Zac Goldsmith's campaign. It's feeling a bit like a Goldsmith-hate free-for-all right now. If they really cared so much about it they'd have been saying all this weeks ago. Now it seems like they've decided he's the Conservative Party ScapegoatTM to push all the blame on to coax back Muslim voters... to hide the fact that this anti-Khan smearing was very convenient for them all until recently.
    It's partly to take attention away from Lynton Crosby, who was responsible for the campaign smears. Reputedly, Goldsmith did not like the direction it was taking but it was insisted on by Cammie and Ossie who will do anything for their Ozzie sleazebag mate after he (allegedly) got them elected.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7016681.html

Also of course there's nothing as enjoyable as kicking a chap when he's down in Tory circles. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)

Do you seriously think that Islamophobia in this country has nothing to do with race? Nothing to do with the fact that most Muslims have been from Pakistan and Bangladesh?
    There is a control group that counters your argument: Hinduism and Indians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    There is a control group: Hinduism and Indians.
    Not sure what you are saying exactly, I don't dispute that the terrorism associated with Islamic extremists is biasing the issue to an extreme extent, but there was intense bigotry around and towards Muslims before 9/11 and it the language of Islamophobia has always been very racist in tone.

Of course, the history goes back much further to colonial times, the treatment of 'Muslim savages' by Gordon of Khartoum, the collapse of the Ottomans, indifference by the British to Muslim feeling in the Indian subcontinent, etc, etc.

ReputationRep:

That British people are terrified of the fact 40% of British Muslims support the implementation of Sharia Law, or their new London Mayor refers to Islamic moderates as 'Uncle Toms', isn't Islamophobia, it's rational fear. A bit like the rational fear which would swarm through your body if I walked up to you and told you I'm going to chop off your hands for stealing a loaf of bread.

That term is ridiculous, even the person who coined it has long since denounced it. You can't be phobic of something which seeks to mutilate your genitalia, force you into marriage, tells you to marry your first cousin or aspires to impose a barbaric, antiquated legal system upon you.

ReputationRep:
    If they really cared so much about it they'd have been saying all this weeks ago.
    Yeah, in the middle of the campaign, when he still might have won :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what you are saying exactly, I don't dispute that the terrorism associated with Islamic extremists is biasing the issue to an extreme extent, but there was intense bigotry around and towards Muslims before 9/11 and it the language of Islamophobia has always been very racist in tone.

Of course, the history goes back much further to colonial times, the treatment of 'Muslim savages' by Gordon of Khartoum, the collapse of the Ottomans, indifference by the British to Muslim feeling in the Indian subcontinent, etc, etc.
    Its clear enough. If Islamophobia was racist then we would also be anti-hindu. But since we're not anti-hindu then islamophobia is not based on race but rather on a dislike of the religion of islam. I don't see how you can't understand that.

If it was racial we would equally dislike hinduism. I think your argument is destroyed at its foundation.

ReputationRep:

First you need to demonstrate the claim, I'd be surprised if you could first prove there was such a thing as Islamophobia, then you'd have to draw a connection between that and race...... no offense, but people way smarter than you or I have tried and failed.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Yeah, in the middle of the campaign, when he still might have won :confused:
    Obviously there's a reason why they didn't say it in the middle of their campaign, my point is that they shouldn't suddenly start to pretend as if they have principles now because it comes across as incredibly insincere.

ReputationRep:

"islamophobia" (as a nonsense concept) is towards "muslims" (or islam), not pakistanis or bangladeshis necessarily - you need to separate the individuals and their beliefs from their skin colour. what problems do you see people from the UK having with pakistan or bangladesh other than the fact that it has a muslim culture which is opposed to the feminist, liberal, democratic, universalist (etc) values of the west? like I said, if it's about skin colour, why aren't indians being opposed? indians are actually the single biggest immigrant demographic in the UK. I mean, how can you *honestly* picture pakistan or bangladesh as completely normal, tolerant, developed and neutral societies? the idea of multiculturalism is that you cannot separate individuals from their culture -so how can we separate people from those countries from their extremely oppressive cultures that are only going to harm this country's own culture or society? make sense of this please.

ReputationRep:
    A big majority of Londoners voted for a Muslim Mayor of London. Far, far more than just the Muslims living in London.

It's no wonder that we are seeing a rash of xenophobic and racist-oriented UKIP-style threads on TSR this morning, as the far right go into shock that a clear majority of people don't share their views, won't react to their dog whistle politics and believe that a tolerant, multiracial London is not just possible but a current reality.

Will the right wing headbangers please take a lesson from this and stop trying to fill TSR with hate messages every morning? Pretty please?
    Amen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanSoloLuck)
    First you need to demonstrate the claim, I'd be surprised if you could first prove there was such a thing as Islamophobia, then you'd have to draw a connection between that and race...... no offense, but people way smarter than you or I have tried and failed.
    She's a sociology grad, if I'm not mistaking. It doesn't take Feynman to win this race....

ReputationRep:
    A very morose day for Britain. I weep for my country.

ReputationRep:
    There is an element in all political campaigning that the ends justify the means.

Campaigns that supporters think are "wrong" in some way are viewed through the prism of whether they succeed or not. If Kinnock had won with his inspiring Sheffield rally compared with poor John Major standing on a soapbox in some provincial market place, or if the Edstone was now residing in the garden in Downing Street,views of those campaigns would be completely different.

Goldsmith's "nudge nudge he's a Muslim extremist" failed and so Tories who always thought it was the wrong line have expressed their views.

I am not sure that Lynton Crosby instinctively understands what makes the British tick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    People voting who are are not racist should not consider him being a Muslim either a good or bad thing, race and religion should not be a factor.
    I disagree. A persons religion is (or at least can be) very important as far as elections go.

In the case of khan he (apprently) shows that islam can be reformed and liberal. Which is important, especially in london, and in the context of everything thats going on. This goes a little bit beyond simple economic aspects of london, but goes into cultural and social issues that london faces.

While this does run the risk of making everything about their religion, thats going to be a problem regardless, simply because thata what happens when cultures and ideologies clash

Edit. As a point i do not see it as good simply because he is muslim, but positive that he is a certain kind of muslim.

ReputationRep:
    actually the majority of people did't vote for him 80 percent didnt. It is a very sad day for London

ReputationRep:
    A big majority of Londoners voted for a Muslim Mayor of London. Far, far more than just the Muslims living in London.

It's no wonder that we are seeing a rash of xenophobic and racist-oriented UKIP-style threads on TSR this morning, as the far right go into shock that a clear majority of people don't share their views, won't react to their dog whistle politics and believe that a tolerant, multiracial London is not just possible but a current reality.

Will the right wing headbangers please take a lesson from this and stop trying to fill TSR with hate messages every morning? Pretty please?
    I mean how many times have you lambasted your fellow countrymen as racists and islamophobes? Muslim goes to Syria to behead children = ohh its cos he was discriminated against here in UK

I think his appointment crushes the narrative that muslims are victims of the evil bad british people

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.