The Student Room Group

Sadiq Khan: There are too many "white men" on Transport for London

Scroll to see replies

I can't actually find any other article reporting on this?
Original post by infairverona
I used to work in recruitment and particularly for finance jobs, senior management or directors, I don't think I ever saw a woman apply. Some fields women or others may just not want to work in. For example, I'm fed up being told 'more women need to be in scientific fields' ok sure, if there are women who want to but feel they can't, that's a problem. If women just don't want to, why are we being told we 'need' to work in something else? I got good grades in science and maths at school but I don't like it, I'm not going to work in it just to add to women in science. I think it has the opposite effect to constantly be telling people what fields they should or shouldn't be working in just because there aren't 'enough' minorities in certain fields. I also don't know why you think jobs not being advertised means ONLY women and ethnic people wouldn't know about it, where do you think these jobs are being posted? White Men Only forums? Have you ever actually worked in recruitment? There could be lots of poorer white men being disadvantaged but nobody cares about them

No, of course not, I don't think that they are posted in White Men Only forums. I think that some of the jobs are actually never publicly advertised. It is more of word of mouth.

The whole system, to me, is messed up and I think that Quota filling is one of the best ways of getting a balanced playing field, especially at the top. When things begin to settle, then I would argue that these quotas should be removed.

I don't want us to be going back and forth. You have your opinions and I have mine. You feel that it is patronising to you, but I think that some other people may actually appreciate such a system. We are all not wired the same.
Reply 42
That person didn't say white men are good at everything, but if you have candidate X who is white, male and suitably qualified, and candidate Y who is an Asian woman who has significantly less experience or education relevant to the position, it is incredibly poor business sense to hire candidate Y just because she is female and Asian. Quotas allow you to hire people who are female or ethnic simply BECAUSE they are female and ethnic and not at all because they are the best candidate. That is stupid and makes no business sense at all.

I think it's clearly you who is the racist with a statement like that.

Your racist brain is immediately jumping to the conclusion that sensible business decisions won't matter when it comes to selecting a good range of people who manage the Transport system that serve all members of society. Why is there an automatic assumption that a range of narrow minded white males will improve the situation. Women on London Transport are suffering a lot of harassment from men who prey on women, there are a whole range of social problems that go beyond physical logistics. It is worth a try and a different managerial decision, there is nothing wrong with innovation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Twinpeaks
Don't underestimate the psychological, implicit barriers of being a minority.

He/she says - without irony - the day after someone of Pakistani heritage became mayor of London.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Poor white women who have lived in socially disadvantaged areas their whole lives never seem to feature in conversations either. Not that any I've heard, it seems a lot of them are labelled off as a lost cause.

I agree with you, talk of 'women' always tends to mean ethnic women also. However I think there is this view of 'not caring about the white man' that is very damaging to those who live in poor areas with no education and little chance of ever getting out of this situation. People are so adamant that white men shouldn't be in top jobs for example, I think people automatically assume white men have grown up with a silver spoon in the mouth simply for being white male and that is fundamentally untrue
Reply 45
Original post by Drummerz
I can't actually find any other article reporting on this?

This is the tone Sadig's tenure, a lot of falsifications. They did it with Obama, vilify the 'different' person who didn't fit the norm of expectation.
Original post by tengentoppa
There are absolutely none. They're discriminatory to those they disadvantage, and patronising to those they advantage.

We should be striving for meritocracy by ensuring a level playing field and equal opportunities. Quotas are an ill-thought out cop-out, which help no-one and fuel resentment.

In an ideal world, a fully meritocratic society will be great. Unfortunately, we don't live in such a world. People have already been given advantages based on many attributes whether it is their race, religion or identity. As a result, I think that the best way to provide a better levelled playing field will be to give some of the "disadvantaged" a leg up.
I agree with you, talk of 'women' always tends to mean ethnic women also. However I think there is this view of 'not caring about the white man' that is very damaging to those who live in poor areas with no education and little chance of ever getting out of this situation. People are so adamant that white men shouldn't be in top jobs for example, I think people automatically assume white men have grown up with a silver spoon in the mouth simply for being white male and that is fundamentally untrue

Yes I agree, but then there is obviously a huge disparity which I blame on the social mobility of this country, but that doesn't change the fact that there does still need to be more diversity. How they get this diversity shouldn't be quotas in my honest opinion, it should start from the very beginning with giving people equal opportunity. Education should be looked into. Schools need to be improved, better schools will provide better opportunities for people, which will help them change their situations.

At the end of the day whether you a white man, black woman, a brown man or a green fish, you will succeed anyway if you start off in a privileged position.

Everyone matters and that is the point. The quota filling does not have to do with race, but also socio-economic backgrounds. The poor white man living in poor areas with no education will be given an opportunity. However, if you say that it should be a meritocratic system, then that poor lad does not even stand a chance.
Yes I agree, but then there is obviously a huge disparity which I blame on the social mobility of this country, but that doesn't change the fact that there does still need to be more diversity. How they get this diversity shouldn't be quotas in my honest opinion, it should start from the very beginning with giving people equal opportunity. Education should be looked into. Schools need to be improved, better schools will provide better opportunities for people, which will help them change their situations.

At the end of the day whether you a white man, black woman, a brown man or a green fish, you will succeed anyway if you start off in a privileged position.

That, to me, is the whole point. The system is already messed up. Private school kids make up 7% of school population, but run the show.

In an ideal world, social mobility would be down to your own ability from a good school system moving up the ladder. However, how can someone who studied at an inner London school compete against the kid at Eton, Rugby or Harrow?

Since, we are in such a bad position, I think that quota filling is the way to go until things improve.

I completely agree with you, on all of this. I was just making the point that in general it is women (of all ethnicities) and ethnic minorities (of all genders) that people are primarily concerned with.

Original post by Wired_1800
Everyone matters and that is the point. The quota filling does not have to do with race, but also socio-economic backgrounds. The poor white man living in poor areas with no education will be given an opportunity. However, if you say that it should be a meritocratic system, then that poor lad does not even stand a chance.

No, correct, and that is very unfortunate and we need to be working on that moving forward. Should he then get the job just because he's from a disadvantaged background, if he is against applicants who are suitably qualified and trained? No.
Original post by MildredMalone
I wonder if his voters are feeling stupid yet, or if they're saving that for when we really get to see what he has to say.

They will applaud him and blame the racist tax payers for moving away on why London becomes a cesspit that doesn't function.

8f8390a58c826bc71fb2754d334412b8.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)

No, correct, and that is very unfortunate and we need to be working on that moving forward. Should he then get the job just because he's from a disadvantaged background, if he is against applicants who are suitably qualified and trained? No.

The question you should be asking is "will he get to the top, where he can be in the running for the position", probably not.

To me, if there are two candidates, a man and a woman, and they are both qualified, I would pick the woman, when there are 13 men on the board and 3 women.
Original post by akgrsegw
Why are you assuming ethnic minority and women candidates won't do a good job, they will be looking at qualifying criteria before they select the candidates. Good business decisions depend on making the right decisions on candidates, you don't do it out of ideology, competition would be fairer without white men dominating every single thing. What makes you think being white and male means you're going to be good at everything?

Excuse me? I think you've grossly misunderstood my post. Perhaps re-read.
Original post by KimKallstrom
He/she says - without irony - the day after someone of Pakistani heritage became mayor of London.

Dear lord.

I'll try and word this clearly.

If a wealth of research highlights that minority group members face barriers in the workplace, do you think that one person going against the odds disproves the entire basis? Many others face such barriers, but because one was resilient, that one instance disproves all those who do face barriers?

This is such a common comment on here and it's just so ignorant. I always get such a response when I explain how children from poor backgrounds face disadvantages. You always get that one person who brings up a case of an entrepreneur who was raised in a council estate. People need to learn the difference between statistics and a single instance/ anecdote.
I have just looked at what I assume is the Board as appointed by Boris, in the TfL website.

One of them is from that well-known group of tolerant people, London taxi drivers.
Another from private hire drivers.
No-one to represent what I would consider are ordinary commuters, no-one to represent schools and universities (after all, most students don't have a car).
No-one to represent cyclists.
One is a director of British Airways
At least two don't live anywhere near London to my knowledge.

Sadiq Khan makes a valid point about the Board being white men largely, but it is not only that aspect of the Board that is unrepresentative.
Original post by barnetlad
I have just looked at what I assume is the Board as appointed by Boris, in the TfL website.

One of them is from that well-known group of tolerant people, London taxi drivers.
Another from private hire drivers.
No-one to represent what I would consider are ordinary commuters, no-one to represent schools and universities (after all, most students don't have a car).
No-one to represent cyclists.
One is a director of British Airways
At least two don't live anywhere near London to my knowledge.

Sadiq Khan makes a valid point about the Board being white men largely, but it is not only that aspect of the Board that is unrepresentative.

You think TSR closet racists are gonna see upon what one random stray article is reporting on?
This forum can be so racist at times... So **** tbh. All these people moaning are white.
LOL IT'S ALREADY HAPPENING

RIP eurape and UK

SAD!
Original post by MrSplash
This forum can be so racist at times... So **** tbh. All these people moaning are white.

oh the irony

the entire world is racist AGAINST WHITE. including your post lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending