B972 - Non-Binary Recognition Bill 2016 watch

Announcements
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I would imagine whichever one the persons feels more comfortable in and/or use of disabled loos and changing rooms.

That person isn't transgender or non-binary and would be doing that regardless of any laws to help transgender and non-binary people.

I commented on this on the last page, Mx is an already existing gender neutral title, and has been adopted by the non-binary community, along with the pronounds they/them, to denote them being outside the gender binary. People can continue to use Mx instead of a gendered pronoun, but this legally makes it a pronound for non-binary people as well, so they don't have to legally use Mr or Miss/Mrs/Miss
    When I say 'dress up', I mean, pretend to be transgender or whatever the ****, and go molest some little girl in the ladies'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanE1998)
    As the author of this bill, I am happy to take questions!

Aye, obviously!
    Aye to this bill, as it is obviously a massive step forward. Forgive me, but how exactly would Mx be pronounced?

But it does need to be recognised the issue of bathrooms and other gendered things, either to make all bathrooms unisex or let the person use whichever they feels suits their needs the best

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me what a Non Binary person is?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Stats and sources or it never happened.
    I would say that suicide attempt rates 25 times the norm is kinda detrimental

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    When I say 'dress up', I mean, pretend to be transgender or whatever the ****, and go molest some little girl in the ladies'.
    In which case I would suggest you know nothing about what being transgender is like, someone can't just pretend to be transgender, an official diagnoses can take years, especially if you don't go private, and for mtf transtitions you are looking at completely retraining your voice and vocal cords to be more feminine, not something you can do over night, you are looking at a lifetime on O and so much more, someone can't just pretend to be transgender, it simply doesn't work like that

ReputationRep:
    Because if a guy who identifies as female is allowed to go into a female loo, then it makes it a hell of a lot easier for him to do anything.

I'm pretty sure that if a guy walks into a female loo, any woman in there would either tell him to get out, or more likely go and find someone to get him to leave. As this line between whether a guy can or can't go into the females get's blurrier because people don't want to offend, or whatever, it makes it easier for those guys to offend. It is also unfair. I wouldn't wanna share a loo or changing room with a female - well, depends who she is, but if I was a 9 year old girl, I wouldn't want a guy with his **** flapping about right next to me changing...
    How about transgendered people who have completed their transition, i.e. operations and medication?

ReputationRep:
    What, precisely, would this actively change?

Would it not be more constructive to make other laws before this one to help clear up any confusion on what this technically does, such as the situation with toilets? So for example investing more in unisex facilities, and then introduce this, thus helping the transition?

I agree with the sentiment behind this bill, but I don't really see what it does, other than say one can use 'Mx.'

ReputationRep:
    Let me try again. This proposed law says:

Non-Binary Individuals have the right to assume the title of Mx.

That implies that nobody else has the right to assume the title Mx. Why would you make a law that gave a right to only one section of the population and did not extend that right to everyone?

Why not just write:

'Individuals have the right to assume the title of Mx.'

There are numerous situations in which many people might prefer to use the title Mx.

The whole purpose of the original Equality Act was to cover as many eventualities as possible, not to only protect a minority of those who could be protected by it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Can someone explain to me what a Non Binary person is?
    Someone who doesn't identity as either male or female
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What the actual f*** ? You cannot be serious....... Anyone who is " non binary " has a mental health issues and a cure needs to be found
    Nice to see Labour Ignore the basics of biology
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    In which case I would suggest you know nothing about what being transgender is like, someone can't just pretend to be transgender, an official diagnoses can take years, especially if you don't go private, and for mtf transtitions you are looking at completely retraining your voice and vocal cords to be more feminine, not something you can do over night, you are looking at a lifetime on O and so much more, someone can't just pretend to be transgender, it simply doesn't work like that
    I generally don't talk to anyone when I go to the loo in public, so doesn't matter about vocal cords. I don't think I'd need to be diagnosed if I could look the part either... In any case, how is a woman going to know if someone's been diagnosed... What guy is going to care about all that if he can pass of as being transgender and get do stuff more easily...

I do get what you're saying, but it's just way too complicated to start saying he can go into the females' because it's not simple.

ReputationRep:
    Someone who doesn't identity as either male or female
    Why though? For what reason?

I identify myself as a male because biologically I am one. Is a non binary person, biologically non binary?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    How about transgendered people who have completed their transition, i.e. operations and medication?
    I'm not sure tbh... In one way, at least their 'bits' would be in the correct place, so I'd probably say yes.
    (Original post by BenC1997)
    What, precisely, would this actively change?

Would it not be more constructive to make other laws before this one to help clear up any confusion on what this technically does, such as the situation with toilets? So for example investing more in unisex facilities, and then introduce this, thus helping the transition?

I agree with the sentiment behind this bill, but I don't really see what it does, other than say one can use 'Mx.'
    Again, with unisex toilets, why should a girl have to be in the same toilet as a 50 year old guy... Unless you're talking about having 4 separate toilets? Guys, girls, disabled, unisex?

ReputationRep:
    WTH even is this non-binary thingie... we can't call them transsexuals? (I mean no offence to anyone but to me this just seems like changing a name while it poses no problem...)

ReputationRep:
    'I identify myself as a male because biologically I am one. Is a non binary person, biologically non binary?'

No. Non Binary is a personality thing.

People who are not biologically male or female have one of a number of different conditions called intersex - things like androgen insensitivity syndrome.

ReputationRep:
    So can I identify as an Apache attack helicopter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I would say that suicide attempt rates 25 times the norm is kinda detrimental

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How would you feel if most of society in general, and government legislation, did not recognise you for what you really are? Would you not feel devalued as a person, as if you had no future in the world you'd been borne into? This bill would help deal with the very problem you cite.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    So can I identify as an Apache attack helicopter?
    Absolutely. I actually identify as a Panther tank!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by AR_95)

I identify myself as a male because biologically I am one. Is a non binary person, biologically non binary?
    You forget, gender is a social construct that is independent of sex so people can invent a gender a minute and not be wrong about it, apparently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I generally don't talk to anyone when I go to the loo in public, so doesn't matter about vocal cords. I don't think I'd need to be diagnosed if I could look the part either... In any case, how is a woman going to know if someone's been diagnosed... What guy is going to care about all that if he can pass of as being transgender and get do stuff more easily...

I do get what you're saying, but it's just way too complicated to start saying he can go into the females' because it's not simple.
    What you are talking about is someone, a male, dressing up as a female and entering a women's loos to commit crimes, that is completely different to being transgender, and if someone was to do that, they would be doing that regardless of any legislation to help transgender and non-binary people.

(Original post by AR_95)

Some people are both male and female, that is intersex, that is however something different. Someone who is non-binary doesn't feel, as I understand it, that they belong on either side of the gender binary, male and female, but somewhere in between. This is a rising thing, with more and more people who feel this way openly choosing to identify this way.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.