Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirigiri)
    schools and the government only want you to have language (obviously theyd prefer you to have literature too, but language is the one they push for and you may have to resit if you dont do well enough) & not everyone takes them as separate gcses (some take them as a single hybrid gcse).
    It's not quite that simple. If your school has entered you for English Language and English Literature, rather then the combined GCSE English, then they will want you to do both.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I read the first page of the thread.

First you have to identuf wht you arent turning up, but if you decide not to, then it is your choice. If you have good reason you might notify the school that you wont be turning up and theres nothing they can do about it. they might dislike it and they may make things more difficult for you in terms of resits etc. its best not to inconvenience them, so it would be better to confirm it with the exam officer. I really dont think it would throw the school into panic.

In terms of impact on you, then you just need Maths and English plus three others.

If you want to go to Uni then you might wnat to get more at good grades, but its really your A levels that count. In which case if you intend to sit A levels, then make sure you have the relevant GCSE.

Persnally I dont see any point in taking an exam you genuinely know you will fail. I would rather resit.

ReputationRep:
    You are the one crying about it, just do the shiit, its not that hard....
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Dammio)
    You are the one crying about it, just do the shiit, its not that hard....
    It's not that hard for you, maybe. But you don't have health issues that make just attending school an achievement sometimes. If the OP drops a subject that is less needed and they're less likely to do well in then they can concentrate their time on the others - and since they've missed a lot of school there will be a lot of catching up to do for the other subjects too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    It's not that hard for you, maybe. But you don't have health issues that make just attending school an achievement sometimes. If the OP drops a subject that is less needed and they're less likely to do well in then they can concentrate their time on the others - and since they've missed a lot of school there will be a lot of catching up to do for the other subjects too.
    if everyone had the mentality to give up when things are hard, the world would be ****...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    if everyone had the mentality to give up when things are hard, the world would be ****...
    This isn't giving up. Giving up would be dropping all GCSEs and hiding under the duvet. Taking fewer GCSEs when you genuinely can't manage everything is just a better allocation of resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    This isn't giving up. Giving up would be dropping all GCSEs and hiding under the duvet. Taking fewer GCSEs when you genuinely can't manage everything is just a better allocation of resources.
    seeing as we are both humans, if she genuinely can't manage, then her brain just worse then most peoples is, in that case she can quit...

however, I believe if she put more effort in she could get equal, if not better grades then me.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    seeing as we are both humans, if she genuinely can't manage, then her brain just worse then most peoples is, in that case she can quit...

however, I believe if she put more effort in she could get equal, if not better grades then me.
    How have you decided this? Obviously Usain Bolt is human, so can everyone just run as fast as he can? Can everyone drive as well as Ayrton Senna? Can everyone play guitar as well as Richie Sambora? Or are you just being ridiculous and insulting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    How have you decided this? Obviously Usain Bolt is human, so can everyone just run as fast as he can? Can everyone drive as well as Ayrton Senna? Can everyone play guitar as well as Richie Sambora? Or are you just being ridiculous and insulting?
    I could run as fast as Bolt and drive as well as Senna, if I REALLY wanted to...

What the **** is stopping me?

note the emphasis on 'really'

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've been reading through this topic and to OP, as another autistic person - yep, English Lit can be a right pain in the arse. As someone who sat their GCSEs last year (and nearly missed an exam because I'm an utter genius), here's my adivce:

If you've already mentioned it to school that you may not show up, then they may remember that when you don't show up - it really depends on how much the student managed you mentioned has to do with the exams in school. I suppose you could call school on the day of the exam to say that you can't do it, but it really depends on who answers the phone - do you know if it'll be someone who knows and understands your circumstances? If so, then they might not reschedule it - I'm not sure if they're legally obligated to, but they might. If it won't be or you're not sure, then I wouldn't risk it.

Regardless of what happens with your English Lit - if you're possibly stressing over all the possibilities, keep in mind it's just one day, once you've missed it, no one will ask you about it again - I wish you luck for your other exams.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    schools and the government only want you to have language (obviously theyd prefer you to have literature too, but language is the one they push for and you may have to resit if you dont do well enough) & not everyone takes them as separate gcses (some take them as a single hybrid gcse).
    It's a requirement for you to have GCSE maths and English Lang at a grade C, otherwise you have to resit it now, like I have to.

I struggled with mine last year but my school were ********s and refused to let me drop any as I basically did the minimum science (single science!) I didn't do that well, and I got out of the environment and believe me, the best thing I did for myself was getting out and going to college. I gave myself this year to settle in and resit my English and maths without much pressure and the college are aware of my situation and are supporting me much better than my school ever did.

ReputationRep:
    You'll get an X in English literature.

As long as you get 5 A*-Cs it shouldn't matter much, unless you wanted to do something English related for A-levels or want to go to Oxford or do medicine.

You might not be able to do sciences for A-level without chemistry.

You'd probably be better turning up and just doing your best. You might get a decent grade and if not then you've just lost a couple of hours.
    (Original post by spotify95)
    I can't confirm whether this is correct or not (so apologies if I am wrong!), but I assume that when people say "GCSE English", they mean both the Lang and the Lit components, since everyone has to take both English Language and English Literature.
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    It's a requirement for you to have GCSE maths and English Lang at a grade C, otherwise you have to resit it now, like I have to.
    This is nonsense. A GCSE English requirement means either GCSE English or GCSE English language. None of the three English GCSEs are individually compulsory, but you have to take at least one of English or English language and for some boards there's the additional restriction that you can't take English language without taking English literature.

ReputationRep:
    Zero on the paper. It's that simple.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    You'll get an X in English literature.

As long as you get 5 A*-Cs it shouldn't matter much, unless you wanted to do something English related for A-levels or want to go to Oxford or do medicine.

You might not be able to do sciences for A-level without chemistry.

You'd probably be better turning up and just doing your best. You might get a decent grade and if not then you've just lost a couple of hours.

This is nonsense. A GCSE English requirement means either GCSE English or GCSE English language. None of the three English GCSEs are individually compulsory, but you have to take at least one of English or English language and for some boards there's the additional restriction that you can't take English language without taking English literature.
    Okay, I got it all wrong then! Thanks for the corrections!

I know that with my school, I had to take English Literature as well as Language, and I got a C in Lang and a B in Lit.

ReputationRep:
    have you even read this properly? or is your reading comprehension just this poor?
    i am not "everyone". I AM TRYING MY HARDEST. living is difficult - the fact that im in school for more than two days a week is a massive achievement for me. it's not just a case of me deciding not to do something - I LITERALLY CANNOT DO IT. MY BRAIN DOES NOT WORK THE WAY IT SHOULD. IM SORRY.

Juno thank you, i really appreciate your understanding a lot and a lot. ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ youre getting across what i mean a lot better than i ever could OTL
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    It's not nonsense. I know my ****. Schools want it because of funding. It's explained here. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/16-to-19...ion-of-funding

However it's language the one employers and schools want you to have. Lit counts if you achieve it and not the other one. If you don't have lit however they just put you on language only for the retake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    It's not quite that simple. If your school has entered you for English Language and English Literature, rather then the combined GCSE English, then they will want you to do both.
    yes, the school would obviously want me to take all the exams im entered for. however, even if im entered for lit, i dont need it to get into college or anythingm i will not have to resit it.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    have you even read this properly? or is your reading comprehension just this poor?
    i am not "everyone". I AM TRYING MY HARDEST. living is difficult - the fact that im in school for more than two days a week is a massive achievement for me. it's not just a case of me deciding not to do something - I LITERALLY CANNOT DO IT. MY BRAIN DOES NOT WORK THE WAY IT SHOULD. IM SORRY.

Juno thank you, i really appreciate your understanding a lot and a lot. ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ youre getting across what i mean a lot better than i ever could OTL
    I completely get you, I really do. I struggled with school and it was a miracle I sat my exams. Everyone is different and some people need more support than others. If people want to ***** about that his isn't the time or place.
    You only need English and maths at a c, if you only take one English (like Lang and not lit) it should be fine. Because that's what I've done this year.

However if you don't turn up to the exam your school might not like it and if you want to go onto sixth form there they could take that into account. I know at my college if I don't attend my exams I can't come back in September.

ReputationRep:
    I completely get you, I really do. I struggled with school and it was a miracle I sat my exams. Everyone is different and some people need more support than others. If people want to ***** about that his isn't the time or place.
    You only need English and maths at a c, if you only take one English (like Lang and not lit) it should be fine. Because that's what I've done this year.

However if you don't turn up to the exam your school might not like it and if you want to go onto sixth form there they could take that into account. I know at my college if I don't attend my exams I can't come back in September.
    thank you ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ im sorry that school was tough for you and i hope youre doing a bit better now☆

thats a fair point, actually. ill contact my college about it (theyre aware of my situation so theyll take it into account) and see what they have to say on it;0

ReputationRep:
    It's not nonsense. I know my ****. Schools want it because of funding. It's explained here. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/16-to-19...ion-of-funding

However it's language the one employers and schools want you to have. Lit counts if you achieve it and not the other one. If you don't have lit however they just put you on language only for the retake.
    That contradicts what you said originally. GCSEs in English and/or English literature are also accepted in terms of funding. Funding isn't everything though. You really need English or English language.

It's really not. GCSE English is also accepted.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.