Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    I'm pretty sure it will. What are your other texts?
    my other texts are Kite Runner, Tennyson poetry and Mariner!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sghad)
    my other texts are Kite Runner, Tennyson poetry and Mariner!
    I'm doing Tennyson, too! Definitelt prep' Tennyson and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner for Section A - poetry is much easier to handle.

Prefictions for Tennyson:

Godiva
    The Lady of Shalott, Part I
    The Lady of Shalott, Part II

ReputationRep:
    I'm resitting to boost UMS and I'm so nervous! I'm definitely doing the Tennyson anthology for Section A but I can't seem to score above Band 4 in Section B! Does anyone have any advice?
    My other texts are Pride and Prejudice, Small Island and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know roughly the number of words we should be aiming to write for each question? When I've been doing practice questions I feel like I write way too much for the amount of time we're given... which is probably why I always end up running out of time in exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tagliatilly)
    Does anyone know roughly the number of words we should be aiming to write for each question? When I've been doing practice questions I feel like I write way too much for the amount of time we're given... which is probably why I always end up running out of time in exams!
    I typed one of my Section Bs up in an email and it was 900 words!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Section A:

Handwriting - 1 page and a bit

Typed - 1 page

Section B -

800-1100 words

QUALITY NOT QUANTITY.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgiaAnnBeal)
    I typed one of my Section Bs up in an email and it was 900 words!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That sounds about right... I tend to write a bit more than that but not too much. The main problem I have is with Section A for some reason... I kinda forget that it's in 2 parts and write the amount I'd write for a Section B answer for both parts of Section A if you get what I mean, so I end up writing probably about double the amount I'm supposed to. Thank you though!!

ReputationRep:
    Section A:

Handwriting - 1 page and a bit

Typed - 1 page

Section B -

800-1100 words

QUALITY NOT QUANTITY.
    Thank you!! I'm gonna find it so hard to only type about 1 page for Section A ugh... I definitely agree with the quality over quantity thing, but I just find it hard to actually do it. I always have so many ideas of what to write and I hate having to miss things out that I'd really like to mention because there isn't enough time in the exam! Definitely gonna have to work on making my answers a little more concise. Thanks so much though, it's really useful to know how much I should be writing!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I also really feel like chapter 6 will come up for Gatsby, what would everyone write about?

ReputationRep:
    Another question - would it be ok to only write about 2 aspects of narrative in the little a of Section A? As in one paragraph on setting and one paragraph on narrators/voices... or would that be too little?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm revising for this exam now!! Quick question, in question 2 of part A, are we allowed to agree AND disagree with the statements? Eg in this question:
    'How far do you agree with one reader's view that 'the men in Tennyson's poems are whining, selfish and arrogant, with little to recommend them'?'

Could you talk about how some poems support this view, while others would disagree? Or do we just have to stick to one side of the argument???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haideritsemma)
    Hi! I'm revising for this exam now!! Quick question, in question 2 of part A, are we allowed to agree AND disagree with the statements? Eg in this question:
    'How far do you agree with one reader's view that 'the men in Tennyson's poems are whining, selfish and arrogant, with little to recommend them'?'

Could you talk about how some poems support this view, while others would disagree? Or do we just have to stick to one side of the argument???
    AO3 is assessed here (alongside AO1 and AO4). This means you are being asked to debate. As such you must address both sides of the argument. Answer the question, basically!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedwards)
    Hi guys,

I also really feel like chapter 6 will come up for Gatsby, what would everyone write about?
    That's correct, Chapter 6 is the most likely. What do you think you'd write about, first?

Another question - would it be ok to only write about 2 aspects of narrative in the little a of Section A? As in one paragraph on setting and one paragraph on narrators/voices... or would that be too little?
    Honestly, no. You should at least touch on all of them. In novels, they fully accept that some are more significant than others. If you did do that, you would be screwing yourself over massively. For example, in Chapter 6 of Gatsby, Time is the most significant. There's little to say about place. But nods at it, such as Lake Superior and Cody's Yacht, are sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!! I'm gonna find it so hard to only type about 1 page for Section A ugh... I definitely agree with the quality over quantity thing, but I just find it hard to actually do it. I always have so many ideas of what to write and I hate having to miss things out that I'd really like to mention because there isn't enough time in the exam! Definitely gonna have to work on making my answers a little more concise. Thanks so much though, it's really useful to know how much I should be writing!
    To be honest, just answer the question. Take 30 minutes for each question on Section A and 60 minutes for Section B. Clear and accurate written expression is the key; English academics write in a succinct style and pick and choose between ideas. AO1 assesses concision and fluency.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Othello, Death of a Salesman,The Great Gatsby and Poetry by John Keats! Any last minute advice, tips, methods etc. would be appreciated. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    I'm doing Othello and Death of a Salesman on Friday! Any last minute advice, tips, methods etc. would be appreciated. Good luck.
    That's not the same unit though, is it?

ReputationRep:
    AO3 is assessed here (alongside AO1 and AO4). This means you are being asked to debate. As such you must address both sides of the argument. Answer the question, basically!
    Ok great! Just wanted to make sure, thanks so much!!

ReputationRep:
    That's not the same unit though, is it?
    my mistake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    my mistake
    I was worried for a moment there. This is the legacy specification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haideritsemma)
    Ok great! Just wanted to make sure, thanks so much!!
    No worries - best of luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.