Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Now look at what we've got! We have a government that wants to make the UK an orphanage! The liberal contamination of the Conservative Party is obvious. You couldn't put a cigarette paper between the two parties anymore!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    I fully agree. These children should be too young to take care of themselves or travel alone, but I'm afraid those background checks aren't really possible. How would you verify their country of origin?
    we would have to rely on other countries really, which is the origin of my concern

ReputationRep:
    Thought I should best turn up to defend my statement, though I'm pleased to see so much cross-party support on such a pressing matter.

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    No, there is no way to verify if children are children, it will act as an incentive for migrants to make the journey, and it goes agaisnt the aim of seeing migrants from Syria that have entered Britain being removed.
    Beyond a certain point, distinguishing between ages is irrelevant. What we actually want to do is try to solve this problem rather than shrug and say 'nothing to do with us'.

(Original post by Gladiator12345)
    Very small steps from the Home Sec. We need to be taking more children.
    I certainly agree that more than 3,000 children need to be helped and rescued. This is why I am proposing a more focused and coordinated European response to this is issue rather than simply assuming that Britain has a duty to resolve the entire problem. It would simply not be a sustainable approach - yet a trans-European collaboration might well be.

(Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Now look at what we've got! We have a government that wants to make the UK an orphanage! The liberal contamination of the Conservative Party is obvious. You couldn't put a cigarette paper between the two parties anymore!
    Well, in fairness, I have been the most socially liberal of the Conservative PP for the last term or so. Yet this statement was originally suggested, written and debates by members of the Conservatives prior to presenting it to the government as a whole.

The bottom right quadrant is where all the cool kids are anyway.

(Original post by thehistorybore)
    Poetry corner much?
    There is a certain art to political writing... get used to it ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Feel free to adopt a few. Lead by example and all that…
    Yes I would. But that's not the answer if finance is the issue then raise the tax on the wealthy they have to be paying they fair share in taxes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladiator12345)
    Yes I would. But that's not the answer if finance is the issue then raise the tax on the wealthy they have to be paying they fair share in taxes
    The only issue is that ‘their fair share’ according to you is ‘a much higher percentage than the poor’ and we think it's ‘the same percentage as everyone else’.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The only issue is that ‘their fair share’ according to you is ‘a much higher percentage than the poor’ and we think it's ‘the same percentage as everyone else’.
    No, his fair share is "force them out of the country and be confused why you can't afford things" percetage
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Specifically your back yard I reckon.

Or Liverpool.

One or the other.
    Considering I don't have a back yard, Liverpool it is
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'd really rather not accept anyone but this is certainly an improvement over what's going on IRL and 17000 various people + 3000 unaccompanied children over 5 years isn't that much, I guess. If we manage to resolve the conflicts in their home countries before they're integrated into our society (if ever, right? :rolleyes:) and along with other countries help them rebuild, I'll be definitely working to ensure that we send them back.
    This.

If people really want no more refugees then they can get out of our way and give us a majority. Until that happens political compramise was needed and 20,000 made of of >15% children is far better than the 23000 in RL.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I would like to commend the right honourable gentleman's statement - it is one I wholly agree with.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    This concludes the statement from the Home Secretary

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.