Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Shhhhhhh if you don't mention it, no-one will notice :ninja:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I think our Deputy has been a bit heavy handed with the alcohol in your old office.
    And there was me worrying that I'd inadvertently travelled backwards in time again.

That happens sometimes.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    I think our Deputy has been a bit heavy handed with the alcohol in your old office.
    *stumbles around* What....hic....alcohol?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    And there was me worrying that I'd inadvertently travelled backwards in time again.

That happens sometimes.
    To be honest, I can barely remember the day of the week or the month these days, so there's no much hope.

ReputationRep:
    I just felt like it was my business. I didn't want to surprise anyone.
    2 members standing from Northern Ireland, must be a first!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    *stumbles around* What....hic....alcohol?
    prsom
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    prsom
    To be fair, I swiped the alcohol as soon as you went on leave
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Aph
    After your failed attempts at running for speaker last time what makes you think you will do any better next Time ?
    I feel that I'm a genuinely good option and it's attempt. I'm also standing on a unique platform
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Life_peer Airmed Jammy Duel Aph

More out of curiosity than anything, can I ask why you didn't announced your candidature before now, were you building the suspense?
    I hinted a lot. Just didn't feel the need to formally declare
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Of course, my previous post was in reference to my hypothetical second preference vote
    Good lad wouldn't want you in the gulags would we

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I feel that I'm a genuinely good option and it's attempt. I'm also standing on a unique platform

I hinted a lot. Just didn't feel the need to formally declare

Good lad wouldn't want you in the gulags would we
    You mean you don't want company?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Another question for all candidates - what are your views on the Nat Libs. Not politically but whether you think they should stay?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Another question for all candidates - what are your views on the Nat Libs. Not politically but whether you think they should stay?
    As I stated in my manifesto I will be tough on activity and if they can't pick up and do their fair share then I will eliminate them.
    You mean you don't want company?
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think that the Nat Libs should be given some help and advice, built upon the work conducted by my good friends Airmed and Nebelbon, trying to get their members active and interested; set up the building blocks for the party- and if we can give them the opportunity to keep up activity, then they stay- but the harsh reality is, if they can't keep up a minimum level of activity, then sadly the only option for them is to go!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So...

Mobbsy has chosen to gift us with some banter. :rolleyes:
    Life_peer seems very quick to ditch the Office of Prime Minister that has alluded him for so long.
    Airmed has a very nice, very reasonable manifesto.
    Adam stole the format of my manifesto.
    Nigel appears to be threatening us with the release of the full force of his personality if we don't elect him.
    Fez has plastered his manifesto with the heavy coating of competence he brings to all that he does.
    JD has chosen to emulate Trump. Fitting.
    Aph's is quite a but more ominous than I expected... :eek:
    I'm stuck between Jammy, LP or Nigel to shut one of them up and Fez because he would actually be a good Speaker:lol:
    Omg I genuinely can't choose between Airmed and Adam now. It took me long enough to decide between adam and Fez! :cry2: :cry:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    To be fair, I swiped the alcohol as soon as you went on leave
    Are we having the election FPTP or a proportional/majoritarian system? Because I don't think I can choose just one person.

ReputationRep:
    Life_peer seems very quick to ditch the Office of Prime Minister that has alluded him for so long.
    Innocent until proven guilty. :awesome:

(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I like a lot of what Life_peer is proposing - tell us, how do you propose to go about creating the things in your manifesto?
    Well, it's all fairly easy… One just have to pay for a virtual private server to handle the communication and spend a week or two in front of the computer, both of which seems like a good investment if one is the Speaker and has to choose between a fiver per month or doing it manually. Automated reminders through private messages would for example be done via the Tapatalk API. It doesn't support polls, unfortunately, so those would be done through good old scraping. Other things like the dashboard would combine different sources.

Regardless of whether I am the person to do it or not, I've been honestly thinking about the lack of automation and how it arguably forces the Speaker to be a clerk rather than a leader, which I think is a shame because it puts experienced people off.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Interested to see the PM standing for Speaker whilst still in post – is that a first?

This is a question to all candidates - what are your plans for boosting MHoC members?
    As I state in my manifesto I want to put a second Join a Party thread in the MHoC subforum – to try and attract people who are interested in politics (having sought out the UK politics forum) but don't really know where to start with the big scary MHoC.

That's a lot more candidates than I thought there'd be.
    Indeed. More than stood to be Welsh and Scottish Presiding Officers combined.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    The idea of STV came up last election and was written off. I do think that with 8 candidates STV really is the only way to go!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Life_peer Airmed Jammy Duel Aph

More out of curiosity than anything, can I ask why you didn't announced your candidature before now, were you building the suspense?
    There's no particular reason, but I like to keep my options open until the deadline.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Are we having the election FPTP or a proportional/majoritarian system? Because I don't think I can choose just one person.
    You'll pick one candidate or RON - if the highest scoring candidate gets over 50%, they become Speaker and if not, the two highest scoring candidates and any ties go through to a run-off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Well, it's all fairly easy… One just have to pay for a virtual private server to handle the communication and spend a week or two in front of the computer, both of which seems like a good investment if one is the Speaker and has to choose between a fiver per month or doing it manually. Automated reminders through private messages would for example be done via the Tapatalk API. It doesn't support polls, unfortunately, so those would be done through good old scraping. Other things like the dashboard would combine different sources.

Regardless of whether I am the person to do it or not, I've been honestly thinking about the lack of automation and how it arguably forces the Speaker to be a clerk rather than a leader, which I think is a shame because it puts experienced people off.
    Do you not see the potential of having an added monthly cost as dissuading future speakers? If not, why not? If so, how do you plan to deal with peoples' expectations after your speakership?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Aph)
    The idea of STV came up last election and was written off. I do think that with 8 candidates STV really is the only way to go!!!
    The process will remain the same as declared at the start of the election - no amendment has been made to change it and all candidates entered knowing the election process; it isn't fair to now change it.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.