Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    1. Lads I need help with those:

Tough Material:
      Hard Material:
      I need to know their definitions based on mark schemes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamadtype-)
    1. Lads I need help with those:

Tough Material:
      Hard Material:
      I need to know their definitions based on mark schemes.
    Tough:Can absorb a lot of energy before breaking
    Hard:Material that is resistant to cutting,Indentation and abrasion(Scratching)

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the Edexcel Examinations...
    May the odds be ever in your favour.😂

ReputationRep:
    Can some one tell me this; Why does a ball with a large radius fall through a vicious drag faster than a ball with a small radius?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamadtype-)
    Then whats the difference between Strength and Ultimate Tensile Strength
    there's none, but in exams use the word ultimate tensile strength since only strength is a vague term

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunethra)
    Can some one tell me this; Why does a ball with a large radius fall through a vicious drag faster than a ball with a small radius?
    fall through a viscous drag?? its a force resisting motion.

ReputationRep:
    More time required to reach terminal velocity,As a result the final velocity of large radius is more than the small radius

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnTheHorizon)
    More time required to reach terminal velocity,As a result the final velocity of large radius is more than the small radius
    Can we also say that drag is directly proportional to area r^2 and therefore the mass if directly proportional to its volume r^3 therefore the big heavier sphere falls faster?
    And thank you for the answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnTheHorizon)
    wat would happen if 2 balls one with a larger radius but both balls with same mass (therefore different densities) fall freely under gravity which ball would hve a higher terminal velocity
    if u cn plz explain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saitama kun)
    wat would happen if 2 balls one with a larger radius but both balls with same mass (therefore different densities) fall freely under gravity which ball would hve a higher terminal velocity
    if u cn plz explain
    The larger radius would fall faster because more drag is needed to equal the weight as a result a large amount of drag is needed therefore the speed should also be large because we know that drag is directly proportional to the speed. therefore the ball falls faster.

ReputationRep:
    Which flow is faster? turbulent or laminar and why?

ReputationRep:
    The larger radius would fall faster because more drag is needed to equal the weight as a result a large amount of drag is needed therefore the speed should also be large because we know that drag is directly proportional to the speed. therefore the ball falls faster.
    shuldnt da small ball fall at a greater vel as both balls have da same weight so as large ball will have larger drag force it would reach equilibrium faster dan the small ball so large ball has smaller terminal vel dan smaller balll

ReputationRep:
    What you are saying happens only during free fall

ReputationRep:
    da paper was fine ryt..
    anyone gt da accel value fr da spider question as 7 ms-2

ReputationRep:
    da paper was fine ryt..
    anyone gt da accel value fr da spider question as 7 ms-2
    yeah it was sth like 7.21 ms-2
    what did you do for the horizontal velocity in the picture question?
    and in the last question for finding viscosity from graphical method?

ReputationRep:
    i cant recall da nswer horiz distance is 0.3 m i think n time is 0.6 sec

ReputationRep:
    last question plot v against r2 n find gradient n substitute values to find viscosity

ReputationRep:
    i cant recall da nswer horiz distance is 0.3 m i think n time is 0.6 sec
    I got the same but don't remember the velocity

ReputationRep:
    last question plot v against r2 n find gradient n substitute values to find viscosity
    I said v against r2 and find the gradient gives the viscosity.

ReputationRep:
    For the spider ques i did (weight of d spider + fly) - tension = (combined mass of spider + fly) * acceleration ...made accn. The subject and solved..don't remember the ans though.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.