Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachaelBee)
    Disagree, anyone who doesn't CARE and therefore doesn't vote should be ashamed of themselves.

I haven't decided yet, I'm trying to educate myself on what the pros and cons are of staying and leaving and I'm finding it very difficult because all the information is extremely biased and the financial claims are always strongly debated by the opposing viewpoint. If I was to vote right now I feel like I'd just be flipping a coin.
    I COMPLETELY AGREE I'M SO CONFUSED!!:afraid::afraid:

ReputationRep:
    I think it's more that you need a reason to vote, not a reason not to.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ib_hopeful)
    VOTE STAY!! If we leave we'll become more like the negative side of America. People got their fact twisted.. Look at who is telling you to vote leave. If you pick apart their claims and fact check them; you'll find they are massively distorted.
    Look at who's backing remain and how heavy their vested interests are and how consistently wrong they've been in the past

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Found this today and thought I'd share just so people can be more aware that Brexit is not all about money these other issues at large. Very interesting read: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-moved-in.html
    Documentary reveals how cockneys are becoming an endangered species in London borough of Newham after 70,000 immigrants moved in
    • BBC's Last Whites of the East End looks at life in Newham, east London
    • The area has had an influx of 70,000 immigrants in the past 15 years
    • White British families say 'Cockney' traditions are now dying out
    • 'East Enders' say community spirit has gone forever and area is a 'slum'
    • Newham is UK's most culturally diverse borough according to 2011 census

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachaelBee)
    I haven't decided yet, I'm trying to educate myself on what the pros and cons are of staying and leaving and I'm finding it very difficult because all the information is extremely biased and the financial claims are always strongly debated by the opposing viewpoint. If I was to vote right now I feel like I'd just be flipping a coin.
    Oh come on, just use common sense. The UK is small, has an undiversified economy, and is reliant on export. Cutting ties with the neighbors (even if it's just for 5 years until new treaties are in place) is just suicide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    I think it's more that you need a reason to vote, not a reason not to.
    Maybe a base level of respect for the members of past generations who fought and died for your right to choose? Maybe that's just me though.

ReputationRep:
    I will be voting to remain and I bloody well hope the majority do the same. Leaving would be disastrous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    Maybe a base level of respect for the members of past generations who fought and died for your right to choose? Maybe that's just me though.
    I have a lot of respect for the suffragettes who fought for women's votes.
    I also think that a lot of dimwits are able to vote these days. If voting was restricted to those able to make an informed decision, the country would be a better place.

ReputationRep:
    I also think that a lot of dimwits are able to vote these days. If voting was restricted to those able to make an informed decision, the country would be a better place.
    Ah yes, Democracy, the worst form of government until you compare it to the rest.

Although I can understand what you mean, the day we do that is the day freedom & liberty really does die.

I'm going to vote out but I can't really blame people for wanting to stay in. I do think the majority of the British public are conservative (with a small "c") & on the whole are suspicious of change.

ReputationRep:
    I also think that a lot of dimwits are able to vote these days.
    All the more reason to go out and vote so their stupidity is countered.

If voting was restricted to those able to make an informed decision, the country would be a better place.
    I absolutely agree, but how would you see it implemented?

ReputationRep:
    Who is more able? How do you measure it?

Are less abled people those who disagree with your views?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    I've got exams to focus on. We're going to remain in the EU anyway.
    It doesn't take long to walk up to your local polling station.

Revising 24/7 isn't even good for you. You need to take regular breaks.

ReputationRep:
    My Exams thankfully finish on the 22nd (Referendum is 23rd June!) so I can understand why others who aren't as fortunate with timings may not vote, as an hour out of the day to vote isn't the most efficient revision technique! - But anyone who is free should make time, considering as students, this vote has long-term consequences and will affect us the most....vote remain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legendary Quest)
    Who is more able?
    Broadsheet readers only?

ReputationRep:
    Im not even in the UK and won't be until August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomHine7)
    My Exams thankfully finish on the 22nd (Referendum is 23rd June!) so I can understand why others who aren't as fortunate with timings may not vote, as an hour out of the day to vote isn't the most efficient revision technique! - But anyone who is free should make time, considering as students, this vote has long-term consequences and will affect us the most....vote remain.
    An hour out of your day won't affect your grades. If you are revising so much that you can't take a small break then you are overworking yourself.

Broadsheet readers only?
    Or maybe we should only allow Daily Mail readers? Tabloids are more fun, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legendary Quest)
    Or maybe we should only allow Daily Mail readers? Tabloids are more fun, right?
    My god! That's the stuff of nightmares! :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Crap argument is crap. The right to vote implicitly contains the right not to if one so chooses.

Unless of course you advocate for the State violence of forced voting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Crap argument is crap. The right to vote implicitly contains the right not to if one so chooses.
    You've made the mistake of thinking we were talking about the right to vote when we were in fact talking about reasons to vote or not to. They aren't the same thing and so your complaint is unwarranted.

ReputationRep:
    You've made the mistake of thinking we were talking about the right to vote when we were in fact talking about reasons to vote or not to. They aren't the same thing and so your complaint is unwarranted.
    You said that people should vote as a show of respect for our past generations who 'fought and died for your right to choose'. My choice is not to vote. I don't understand why that would be disrespectful to past generations.

As for why I'm not voting in this referendum, it really is quite simple; Firstly, I don't like either side of the argument, Secondly I don't think it will make a massive difference to my life either way.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.