Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Friday 13th; which superstition/s do you believe in? Watch

• View Poll Results: What's the biggest superstition you believe in?
    Walking under a ladder
    7.28%
    Breaking a mirror
    12.06%
    Opening an umbrella indoors
    6.95%
    Walking over three drains
    4.78%
    Friday 13th is unlucky
    8.93%
    Don't believe in any of it!
    60.00%

ReputationRep:
    I don't really believe in it but I have a habit of knocking on wood if I say something that sounds like its tempting fate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    Nothing, but it might not be in a fully stable situation beforehand. Also, air currents and accidentally touching the ladder could disturb it.
    The only sensible reasons to avoid walking under a ladder are if it is a very windy day and if someone is up it at the time, and that is because they might fall or drop something on you. Walking into the road to avoid it is just silly.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I believe is that Friday 13th is unlucky simply because there has been times where something bad has happened. Today wasn't so bad though I did encounter someone I absolutely hate, I thought I'd never see him again but nope

ReputationRep:
    Now I don't really believe in any of it, but I'd still rather not take chances :P If there is one I'm really bad for though it's 3 drains. I will make an extended effort to move out of the way of 3 drains, sometimes even if it involves walking into people to do so Though I do try to avoid walking into people...

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This is the first time I'm hearing of the drains superstition

ReputationRep:
    Most superstitions are common sense, like it's just plain stupid walking under a ladder. Opening an umbrella indoors is probably a bad idea just because you'll probably knock something over or poke someones eye out... it goes on!

I know it's silly but breaking a mirror would really worry me

ReputationRep:
    I must have broken a lot of mirrors as I've had nothing but **** luck since 2009!

ReputationRep:
    I know superstitions are a load of horsepoo, but I must admit I feel uneasy if I say something tempting fate and don't touch wood.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    1 drink at 6pm turned into in the city at 1am... Bad day xd

ReputationRep:
    opening an umbrella indoors?!!!!! I had never heard that before. Can someone explain it to me? Is that really a thing?

ReputationRep:
    It baffles me how otherwise intelligent people can believe that walking under a ladder, or anything else in the poll, is 'unlucky'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrotskyiteRebel)
    opening an umbrella indoors?!!!!! I had never heard that before. Can someone explain it to me? Is that really a thing?
    Many people hold that to open an umbrella indoors is bad luck. Obviously, to do so is likely to result in damage to wallpaper, paint and ornaments so it may have practical origins.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Pickles)
    I'm quite a superstitious person, but my main superstition is definitely walking over 3 drains, I can't bring myself to do it...ever.
    (Original post by kalclash)
    I was about to smugly click that I don't believe in any of them until I realised that I avoid 3 drains at all costs - even if it endangers my life in the process.
    3 drains? Never even heard of this one... is it 3 drains per journey? per day?

Looks like someone else didn't know about this:
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by Dr Pesto)
    It baffles me how otherwise intelligent people can believe that walking under a ladder, or anything else in the poll, is 'unlucky'.
    It's unlucky when the chap on the ladder drops his tin of paint on your head because you distracted him by walking under his ladder.
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Many people hold that to open an umbrella indoors is bad luck. Obviously, to do so is likely to result in damage to wallpaper, paint and ornaments so it may have practical origins.
    Yep, the same applies to all of the poll items; they all carry an increased risk of injury/damage/etc. Even Friday 13th has been shown to have higher rates of motor accidents, but that may be a self-fulfilling prophecy...

Whereas things like throwing salt over your left shoulder, or saluting a magpie really are a waste of nervous energy.

Fingers crossed anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Yep, the same applies to all of the poll items; they all carry an increased risk of injury/damage/etc. Even Friday 13th has been shown to have higher rates of motor accidents, but that may be a self-fulfilling prophecy...
    You have to suspect that they all started as a means of getting people to avoid extra risks, in much the same way that religions started as a means of getting them to behave in the way their rulers deemed appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    inb4 atheists come and say "God"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    inb4 atheists come and say "God"
    Now read post number 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pickles)
    I'm quite a superstitious person, but my main superstition is definitely walking over 3 drains, I can't bring myself to do it...ever.

What's the biggest superstition you believe in?
    broked 10 mirrors
    opened an umbrella indoor a few times
    walked over uncountable drains my country has a lot of them
    walked under a ladder twice
    maybe thats why im so unlucky

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually believe in any of them but I still don't walk over 3 drains if I can help it. Not sure why, think it's just ingrained into me from being younger - I don't actually think it dictates if I'm gonna have bad luck or not Hell, I've done that most of my adult life and I can't remember the last time I had a flow of good luck!!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Opening an umbrella indoors will bring:
    -short stature
    -possibility of being electrocuted by hitting a bulb with a wet umbrella
    -an angry mum for wetting the floor.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.