Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Uniball Eye Micro pens. Make my handwriting look 10x better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBirder)
    I doubt that's true.
    If it didn't smudge onto the previous page when you turned the page and wrote on the other side then it should be fine, and it would have had some time to dry before being scanned.
    Also, they don't want to disqualify you if they can. If your work is slightly smudged but they can still read it they will mark it, the exam is not on your knowledge of what pens to use (I assume, unless you're doing art I guess ) so they are testing you on whatever the exam was.
    Oh, thank the stars then. I was worried because my peers were saying about how the exam board scanners wouldn't be able to pick up what I wrote, though I tested a sample of writing with my own scanner and it seemed fine. I smudged a bit of my writing by accident, but it was still fully legible and I read over my work before turning the page. Thanks for your help!

---

I also got some new pens today and I'm much happier about how it writes. They're Pilot ballpoints. Three of my old biros decided to mysteriously "run out" of ink yesterday despite visibly still having ink in them...

I have a fountain pen that I like writing with, but I somehow manage to get the ink all over my hands whenever I use it. So not exactly the best choice... perhaps I need to get a better one.

ReputationRep:
    Literally brought these today and they are a life saver!

The best really[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by centurygothic)
    I used a gel pen in my English exams and then my friends told me I would be disqualified because all my work would smudge out when it's scanned, is that true? (Those were CIE exams)

I started using a ballpoint pen (one of those with 4 colours on them) to be safe but it's so much more uncomfortable and tiring because I need to use more pressure to actually get the ink to appear on the page / doesn't flow as well. I'm doing past papers at home using the gel pen and I really prefer it. I've got at least 8 pens in my ziploc (bought some cheap ones in a pack) though so at least I won't run out of ink.
    ********, I used uniball last year, which smudge quite a bit, and got A*s in both English Language and English Literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)

my handwriting is horrible in them but i'm so poor these days i cant afford ink pens anymore
    So painful, yet so cheap. Buuuuut school is all about pain; biro's it is!

Doing AS though. Good luck in GCSE's!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  n.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  6.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    Name:  s0891159_sc7.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  10.5 KB

This pen is a lifesaver. Normally when i use biro's for my school work, i press it really hard on the paper making my middle finger get a callus. This inkjoy now glides on the paper and is amazing when i'm writing lots for exams like RS.

ReputationRep:
    Pen modle number 352Xf3000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by centurygothic)
    I used a gel pen in my English exams and then my friends told me I would be disqualified because all my work would smudge out when it's scanned, is that true? (Those were CIE exams)

I started using a ballpoint pen (one of those with 4 colours on them) to be safe but it's so much more uncomfortable and tiring because I need to use more pressure to actually get the ink to appear on the page / doesn't flow as well. I'm doing past papers at home using the gel pen and I really prefer it. I've got at least 8 pens in my ziploc (bought some cheap ones in a pack) though so at least I won't run out of ink.

YOU MUST RING UP THE EXAM BOARD. I did some papers with a gel pen and when the ink is exposed to heat, it disappears! Make sure they don't heat scan it!

ReputationRep:
    Yall stupid! You should use the pen listed below:

Pen: Parker 01110110001101 (barcode number)
    model: Parker 67483095 black as the night sky

ReputationRep:
    Name:  pen.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  4.6 KB
    Erm... These bad boys

ReputationRep:
    Black rollerball gel pens - don't get hand cramp with these as don't have to press very hard!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Gel pens are not allowed, and erasable pens are definitely a no, I cant think of any pen other than a biro that is suitable for GCSE (Also the pen has to be black colour).

P.S You might be allowed a fountain pen, take one to school and ask a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A_Kassam)
    Biro or Ink?
    One with blue ink

ReputationRep:
    When I did my GCSEs last year I stupidly used rub out pen but everything was fine and all the papers were marked without a problem. definitely would NOT reccomend doing this though!!:/

ReputationRep:
    You're allowed black ink pens mate, it says biro or black ink, so yeh u can use fountain pens and handwriting pens/ fineliners

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lhk)
    Black rollerball gel pens - don't get hand cramp with these as don't have to press very hard!
    Seriously, the examiners heat scan your work and it is marked on the computer, not on paper and the writing is likely to disappear during this process if you use a gel pen or any pen that rubs out. Look on the internet, it;'s true.

ReputationRep:
    BiC Cristal medium. Works absolutely brilliantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeMcLellan)
    Name:  pen.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  4.6 KB
    Erm... These bad boys
    Be my bad boy please Xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.