Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hijabs are designed to make you appear less human Watch

I wear a hijab because I want to. I was never forced by my parents to wear one, I've never felt ''pressured'' or ''forced'' into it. I made that decision for myself. Just know that there is hijabis out there that wear it by choice.

ReputationRep:
    Girl wears reveling dress. "Its okay, we live in a free world. She can wear what ever she wants."
    Girl wears Hijab. "Oh poor soul, she must be forced and pressurized by her parents."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I think the difference is that only parents can force a girl to wear a hijab, whilst all the family, as well as friends and neighbours can pressurise her to wear it. The result is that she can then convince herself that she wears it by "choice"; she wouldn't be able to think that if her parents had ordered her to do so.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    I think most are through tbh. Especially the ones that have been wearing since young.
    Haha, that is really not true, trust me. I am a Muslim, been in many circles, I am part of a religious, progressive family with only a handful wearing a Hijab, my parents prefer me not to wear the hijab because they don't like the idea of me standing out, I still dress modestly, out of my own free will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SofiaSmith)
    Haha, that is really not true, trust me.
    I am a Muslim, been in many circles, I am part of a religious, progressive family with only a handful wearing a Hijab, my parents prefer me not to wear the hijab because they don't like the idea of me standing out, I still dress modestly, out of my own free will.
    Why is this so centered around you? I am speaking generally.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    I've been wondering, what was Mo' (pbuh)/Allah/whoever thinking when he made their 'bedsheets' black?

Black objects are brilliant at absorbing heat and in the hot Arabic climate... It's like he had a craving for KFM (kentucky fried moslem) or something. He could've at least made them white, at least then they'd 'reflect' (I'm guessing none of you want to hear about how the excitation of atoms/molecules works) most of it. So much for Quranic science.
    I don't know for sure, I asked this question and only sensible answer I got is, you can wear bikini underneath and put on that black sheet and walk in public, however you cannot do the same with white bedsheet (assuming it's same material). If you wear bikini and put on just white bedsheet, boom everybody almost can tell what you are wearing underneath.

What I heard is, in Arab countries, women dress short sleeves, and modern clothing underneath and put that black veil, go to women only meetings, where they can take of their veil and "be modern"

ReputationRep:
    You guys need to stop acting so dense gosh.
    It's not always about you, no one is saying that every hijabi wears it by force, but there are some. Stop acting so oblivious, it's annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that the hijab is ok. Its your choice at the end of the day to wear one.

Context is key. Some people although these days, it's rare are forcibly put into that position of wearing hijab. Maybe not so much in the westernised world. But in places like africa or afghanistan where fgm is prevalent. Its centred on the view of women. Women are viewed as cattle almost. A posession. Here, in the west, women are viewed by the mainstream as equals. Distinctive perceptions.

ReputationRep:
    Why is this so centered around you? I am speaking generally.
    The majority of Muslims in the West do not wear a hijab (not that it is a good or bad thing) and I was giving my own experiences as an example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SofiaSmith)
    The majority of Muslims in the West do not wear a hijab (not that it is a good or bad thing) and I was giving my own experiences as an example.
    How do you know that? I disagree tbh.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that? I disagree tbh.
    It must be literally true worldwide if you think about it. Roughly half of Moslems are men who do not wear it, and plenty of women don't; neither do young girls. Hence most Moslems don't wear it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    It must be literally true worldwide if you think about it. Roughly half of Moslems are men who do not wear it, and plenty of women don't; neither do young girls. Hence most Moslems don't wear it.
    But I am talking about women specifically. Most Muslim girls I do know do wear the hijab.

ReputationRep:
    Why do girls who wear hijabs wear makeup? Defeats the point? And none of 'it makes them confident" bs because make up will only attract guys. Would they rather be confident or be a good muslim where they dont get attention from the opposite gender? at the end of the day only god can judge

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 532569
    It's a choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    28,000 posts, most of which is hating on muslims (oh sorry, moslems, as you like to put it because theyre all evil aren they)? Damn, you really seem like a 'good bloke' arent ya

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolatmaths)
    , moslems, as you like to put it because theyre all evil aren they)?
    How does using an older spelling mean they are all evil? Have you consulted a dictionary?

In any event, I have not posted anything that incites or expresses hatred against Moslems.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.